Let's Talk 9th Circuit! Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
lavarman84

Platinum

Re: Let's Talk 9th Circuit!

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Rawlinson is done hiring for '19.
You're certain? I have heard otherwise.
Man, does Rawlinson move slowly at everything. For comparison’s sake my judge finished hiring for ‘20 many months ago, and s/he is not known as an early hirer. Even Wallace, who when I was applying was one of the latest movers, is well into his ‘20 hiring (he may even be full now).

(This fits with the Murguia discussion upthread...she and Rawlinson are both known to take months to concur in opinions, etc.)
I wouldn't call it moving slowly. Rawlinson hires late, but she doesn't start reviewing applications until January/February of the year of the clerkship (as far as I have been told). Rawlinson also isn't trying to compete for the same people that the earlier movers are. She likes hiring people from more unconventional backgrounds who may not get a look elsewhere.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:16 pm

A ninth circuit clerkship, at the end of the day, is a ninth circuit clerkship. It will open doors that we’re not there before.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:19 pm

Would love to hear if you are sure about this/what the source is.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I don't think the intel is accurate...

Anon1234567890

New

Post by Anon1234567890 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Well fingers crossed because it has been about three weeks since she held interviews.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Barrred

Bronze

Post by Barrred » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A ninth circuit clerkship, at the end of the day, is a ninth circuit clerkship. It will open doors that we’re not there before.
^brave

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:37 am

Anon1234567890 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Well fingers crossed because it has been about three weeks since she held interviews.
Any intel about Rawlinson this year?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:20 pm

I know the 2021-2022 thread is basically used for all 9th Circuit updates...but anyone know of Clifton movement?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:20 pm
I know the 2021-2022 thread is basically used for all 9th Circuit updates...but anyone know of Clifton movement?
Sticking to Hawaii, does anyone have any info on Bennett as a boss/person?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:55 pm

[/quote]

[/quote]

Does this mean you have an interview / offer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:43 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Bennett struck me as a likable guy, perhaps a little on the socially awkward side. He's conservative, although not as far right as some of the younger Trump appointees, and tends to hire from the same pool of FedSoc T14 top 10% people as mainland Republican judges. Clifton is more moderate than Bennett and I think that comes through in his hiring as well. I know Clifton has hired many clerks with Hawaii ties over the years (both UH Law alums and people from Hawaii who went to school on the mainland); I'm not sure whether Bennett does the same.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:22 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Bennett struck me as a likable guy, perhaps a little on the socially awkward side. He's conservative, although not as far right as some of the younger Trump appointees, and tends to hire from the same pool of FedSoc T14 top 10% people as mainland Republican judges. Clifton is more moderate than Bennett and I think that comes through in his hiring as well. I know Clifton has hired many clerks with Hawaii ties over the years (both UH Law alums and people from Hawaii who went to school on the mainland); I'm not sure whether Bennett does the same.
Super helpful, thanks. Seems like Hirono and Schatz really liked Bennett quite a lot, which stood out. Just not as much info on him out there as there is for Clifton. To the previous anon, no interview but considering future apps to Bennett and Clifton for the year after my D. Ct. clerkship.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:45 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Super helpful, thanks. Seems like Hirono and Schatz really liked Bennett quite a lot, which stood out. Just not as much info on him out there as there is for Clifton. To the previous anon, no interview but considering future apps to Bennett and Clifton for the year after my D. Ct. clerkship.
Former CA9 clerk here. Soon after Bennett was confirmed, he was calling cases en banc left and right and writing many dissents from the denial of rehearing en banc. Not sure if he's mellowed since then, but my impression of him, and the impression of most other clerks I spoke with, was that he was pretty darn conservative. I have no idea how he is as a boss or mentor to his clerks, however. Just wanted to point out that he may be more to the right than some of the posts here suggest.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:22 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Former CA9 clerk here. Soon after Bennett was confirmed, he was calling cases en banc left and right and writing many dissents from the denial of rehearing en banc. Not sure if he's mellowed since then, but my impression of him, and the impression of most other clerks I spoke with, was that he was pretty darn conservative. I have no idea how he is as a boss or mentor to his clerks, however. Just wanted to point out that he may be more to the right than some of the posts here suggest.
Tbh that sounds like how people have described Collins to me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
He wrote three dissentials from denial of rehearing early on, but hasn't written any since then, so I think it's fair to say he's mellowed. Agree with above anon that this description more accurately fits Collins, who by my count of Westlaw has written six dissentals already (!) despite joining the bench almost a year after Bennett. (I'd also encourage not getting any more specific about who made any particular EB calls, which iirc is supposed to remain confidential, even if it's often pretty obvious from the dissental from denial of rehearing.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:41 pm

I spoke with a current Bennett clerk who seemed to like him as a boss and to have really enjoyed the year. I don't believe this person has ties to Hawaii or is conservative. I also agree that Clifton is more moderate than Bennett, but Bennett seems far closer to Miller/Bade than to Collins, VanDyke, Lee, etc. I wouldn't hesitate to clerk for Bennett unless I was super liberal.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:39 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
He wrote three dissentials from denial of rehearing early on, but hasn't written any since then, so I think it's fair to say he's mellowed. Agree with above anon that this description more accurately fits Collins, who by my count of Westlaw has written six dissentals already (!) despite joining the bench almost a year after Bennett. (I'd also encourage not getting any more specific about who made any particular EB calls, which iirc is supposed to remain confidential, even if it's often pretty obvious from the dissental from denial of rehearing.)
Original anon. This basically all makes sense. The explosive LA Times CA9 expose from earlier this year attributed this type of stuff to Collins, though I did see the Bennett dissentals, and the piece also noted that (at least) the judges who were sources respected Bennett and viewed him as collegial.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:18 pm

First anon to weigh in on Bennett (I described him as likable if a bit awkward). I clerked at CA9 during Bennett's first year on the bench, and he did call a bunch of stuff that year, but that was the product of having literally nothing else to do. CA9 takes a long time to get new judges up to a full caseload for some reason, so for your first 6 months on the bench you're pretty much in the office looking at en banc petitions and not much else. Bennett has calmed down quite a bit since he began hearing cases, and I wouldn't be surprised if Collins does as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:43 am

Does anybody have any intel on how far along Nguyen is in hiring for her ‘22 slots?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:43 am
Does anybody have any intel on how far along Nguyen is in hiring for her ‘22 slots?
She’s hired at least one.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:12 pm

What’s up with Schroeder (2021), Bress (2021), Bybee (2021) and Graber (2022)? Also wondering if Owens, Wardlaw, Berzon, Nguyen (I see above someone said she filled one spot) are still interviewing?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:12 pm
What’s up with Schroeder (2021), Bress (2021), Bybee (2021) and Graber (2022)? Also wondering if Owens, Wardlaw, Berzon, Nguyen (I see above someone said she filled one spot) are still interviewing?
I know Wardlaw filled at least one spot last week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:17 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
I know Wardlaw filled at least one spot last week.
On OSCAR Wardlaw has said she's done hiring. Not hiring again until spring 2021 for 2023-2024

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Bybee is full for 2021 per email.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:44 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Bybee is full for 2021 per email.
at least you got an email for Bybee rejections lol

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”