Let's Talk 9th Circuit! Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Let's Talk 9th Circuit!

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:30 pm

Bump....

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:38 pm

Anyone know if Mueller in EDCA is interviewing yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:19 pm

I know someone who interviewed with Mueller. Not sure if she’s offered yet though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:02 am

Does anyone know anything about the 2021 spot in Paez chambers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:02 am
Does anyone know anything about the 2021 spot in Paez chambers?
Bump

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:30 pm

I heard Paez is doing interviews for the 2021 position

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:40 am

Are there any republican appointed judges on the Ninth that aren't too conservative? Any judges a very liberal applicant may want to avoid?

SamuelDanforth

Bronze

Post by SamuelDanforth » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:40 am
Are there any republican appointed judges on the Ninth that aren't too conservative? Any judges a very liberal applicant may want to avoid?
Miller in Seattle would be a great choice for a liberal clerk. Same with Bade in Arizona. I actually think Bybee wouldn't be bad at all. Maybe Tallman too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
YMMV, but I would avoid Bea, Smith, Ikuta, Bumatay, VanDyke, Collins, Miller, Nelson. However, most will not interview you if you're obviously a liberal anyway, so I wouldn't worry.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:00 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
YMMV, but I would avoid Bea, Smith, Ikuta, Bumatay, VanDyke, Collins, Miller, Nelson. However, most will not interview you if you're obviously a liberal anyway, so I wouldn't worry.
Definitely avoid Nelson. I'm surprised Lee didn't make your list. He's issued some very conservative opinions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:01 pm

lavarman84 wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:37 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Definitely avoid Nelson. I'm surprised Lee didn't make your list. He's issued some very conservative opinions.
By Smith I'm assuming you mean M. Smith? Pretty sure he hires liberals.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Tbh I don't think anyone who knows anything about CA9 would put Miller and M. Smith, who don't even really hire Fed Soc students, on this list. Ikuta hires plenty of liberals as well and is a beloved boss, though she's quite conservative, so if by "very liberal" you mean unwilling to work with conservatives, I would avoid. Bybee also hires liberals and is significantly less conservative than you would expect.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:19 pm

Keep in mind that the poster may have meant N. Randy Smith, not Milan Smith. Milan Smith can be a bit of an odd duck, but he's not extremely conservative. Agreed on Bybee. He seems like both a good boss and a reasonable judge.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:59 pm

lavarman84 wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:19 pm
Keep in mind that the poster may have meant N. Randy Smith, not Milan Smith. Milan Smith can be a bit of an odd duck, but he's not extremely conservative. Agreed on Bybee. He seems like both a good boss and a reasonable judge.
Judge Bybee likes hiring counterclerks, too. Granted, I have a limited window into his hiring throughout his career, but I'm pretty sure at least half of his clerks are left-leaning, if not more.

blackjake200

New

Post by blackjake200 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I wouldn't put Bea, Collins, and Miller on this list. They are all conservative but all hire liberal clerks. Collins might be too conservative for some applicants but he definitely hires clerks that are to the left of him.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:59 pm
lavarman84 wrote:
Judge Bybee likes hiring counterclerks, too. Granted, I have a limited window into his hiring throughout his career, but I'm pretty sure at least half of his clerks are left-leaning, if not more.
That tracks with the my anecdotal experience with Bybee clerks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:30 am

lavarman84 wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:03 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:59 pm
lavarman84 wrote:
That tracks with the my anecdotal experience with Bybee clerks.
None of these judges hire "counterclerks" in the sense they actively look for clerks that disagree with them. All of them hire liberals because they don't care what their clerk's ideologies are for the most part and hire on plan because it's convenient.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:58 pm

Sung done hiring for 2022 and 2023, and has hired at least one for 2024.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:48 pm

Never posted on Oscar.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:54 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Tbh I don't think anyone who knows anything about CA9 would put Miller and M. Smith, who don't even really hire Fed Soc students, on this list. Ikuta hires plenty of liberals as well and is a beloved boss, though she's quite conservative, so if by "very liberal" you mean unwilling to work with conservatives, I would avoid. Bybee also hires liberals and is significantly less conservative than you would expect.
I would put Lee in the exact same bucket as Ikuta - he is very conservative, but he is a great boss and has a long track record of working productively with younger lawyers who are much more liberal than he is. I think the concern is not whether he could get along with a "very liberal" clerk, but whether that clerk could get along with him.

Of the Republican-appointed judges on the Ninth, I would call Bybee, Milan Smith, Clifton, Miller, and Bade moderates who no liberal should have a problem clerking for. (In a similar vein, I would say that McKeown, Gould, and Owens are the most centrist/moderate of the Democratic-appointed judges, with Graber and Hurwitz just a step further to the left but still fairly moderate. There's also Tallman, who is a pretty normal conservative even though he was technically a Clinton appointee.) Bennett has a pretty orthodox conservative judicial philosophy but is otherwise quite moderate and perhaps even liberal on some issues.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:58 pm

Kinda funny that Marc Elias had a big open letter slamming Perkins for celebrating Miller’s appointment on the grounds that he’d destroy peoples’ rights and stuff, then he ended up being one of the least conservative Trump appointees

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:52 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I would put Lee in the exact same bucket as Ikuta - he is very conservative, but he is a great boss and has a long track record of working productively with younger lawyers who are much more liberal than he is. I think the concern is not whether he could get along with a "very liberal" clerk, but whether that clerk could get along with him.

Of the Republican-appointed judges on the Ninth, I would call Bybee, Milan Smith, Clifton, Miller, and Bade moderates who no liberal should have a problem clerking for. (In a similar vein, I would say that McKeown, Gould, and Owens are the most centrist/moderate of the Democratic-appointed judges, with Graber and Hurwitz just a step further to the left but still fairly moderate. There's also Tallman, who is a pretty normal conservative even though he was technically a Clinton appointee.) Bennett has a pretty orthodox conservative judicial philosophy but is otherwise quite moderate and perhaps even liberal on some issues.
Would Forrest be part of that moderate Republican group as well, or is she more conservative/not open to liberal clerks?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:58 pm
Sung done hiring for 2022 and 2023, and has hired at least one for 2024.
Oh wow already. What a bummer - would've loved to just apply to the only former labor lawyer on the bench (other than Berzon of course). Yeah, she made an OSCAR account and even seemed to have updated her "Additional Information" section recently. Oh well, it wasn't meant to be I guess.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:12 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Would Forrest be part of that moderate Republican group as well, or is she more conservative/not open to liberal clerks?
Forrest is somewhere to the right of Bybee/Smith/Clifton/Miller/Bade and somewhere to the left of Callahan/Ikuta/Nelson/Lee/Bumatay/VanDyke. I have no idea how open she is to more liberal clerks or what she is like as a boss.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:12 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I don't know what her hiring preferences are for term clerks, but I think she has a liberal career clerk for what that's worth.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”