Telling Firm about Clerkship Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Telling Firm about Clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:46 pm

For those of you with a summer associate position (or for those of you were in this position in the past) - when did you (or when will you) tell the firm you are working for?

Anonymous User

Re: Telling Firm about Clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:11 pm

I just emailed my primary relationship attorney at the firm and let them know-- whoever talked to you most throughout the hiring process/your SA. If there's not anyone that springs to mind for that just email the hiring partner or whoever your offer letter was from.

oblitigate

New

Post by oblitigate » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:45 pm

The partners will want to know you've accepted the clerkship. If you haven't definitely do this before talking to a partner--may show lack of self awareness or something worse. But it can definitely help with pursuance so disclose at next convenience (but modestly).

Enjoy the aftermath of your hardwork.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:45 pm

If you haven't definitely do this before talking to a partner--may show lack of self awareness or something worse. But it can definitely help with pursuance so disclose at next convenience (but modestly).

Can you clarify what you mean by this?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you haven't definitely do this before talking to a partner--may show lack of self awareness or something worse. But it can definitely help with pursuance so disclose at next convenience (but modestly).

Can you clarify what you mean by this?
Was wondering the same thing...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:06 pm

Yeah - definitely confused oblitigate's comment - to clarify (this is OP) - I have no yet done my summer at the firm - I will be an SA this summer. Obviously the goal is to get an offer to return to the firm, but I don't want to come off as presumptuous by informing them about the clerkship or somehow hurt my chances of being given an offer because of the clerkships - so I was wondering how and when was the best way to tell them - call them, e-mail, or wait until I am there in person.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah - definitely confused oblitigate's comment - to clarify (this is OP) - I have no yet done my summer at the firm - I will be an SA this summer. Obviously the goal is to get an offer to return to the firm, but I don't want to come off as presumptuous by informing them about the clerkship or somehow hurt my chances of being given an offer because of the clerkships - so I was wondering how and when was the best way to tell them - call them, e-mail, or wait until I am there in person.
Initial anon here, id say same advice applies. I guess if this is a firm where no one clerks or something it could be an issue but generally speaking firms that have clerks on staff are usually happy that you're going to follow suit. I did exactly what I recommended (emailed my relationship person at the firm who had been my recruiting contact) to let them know. They forwarded the info to other lawyers who had interviewed me or would likely be working with me this summer. A few of them even sent nice congrats notes.

I think you're overthinking a little here. I wouldn't worry about it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:35 pm

Thanks so much - I figured I was overthinking it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:29 pm

How would mentioning the clerkship affect your chances of getting an offer? Presumably if you already have the clerkship lines up, you are going to clerk no matter what. Do you think it would be better to hold out on them, get an offer, then drop the clerkship bomb? Tell them ASAP for planning purposes.

I think the calculus is different if you do not yet have a clerkship, but if you know for sure you are clerking there is absolutely noting to gain from withholding that information (and potentially could hurt you).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

oblitigate

New

Post by oblitigate » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah - definitely confused oblitigate's comment - to clarify (this is OP) - I have no yet done my summer at the firm - I will be an SA this summer. Obviously the goal is to get an offer to return to the firm, but I don't want to come off as presumptuous by informing them about the clerkship or somehow hurt my chances of being given an offer because of the clerkships - so I was wondering how and when was the best way to tell them - call them, e-mail, or wait until I am there in person.

Prob wasn't worded well. If you haven't accepted a clerkship you could get jumped on because you're supposed to do that immediately. I know this bc it happened to me. And hit them with the "in-person tell"--it's better, I don't know why but it just is

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:03 am

Obligate: I have a clerkship and have accepted the clerkship - I accepted immediately when on the phone with the Judge.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:18 pm

Not sure if I'm being paranoid, but do firms ever say they'll hold a full-time position open while a person does a clerkship and then retract the offer later? I just don't want to take a year off to do a clerkship only to have a permanent offer pulled back (assuming I get one at the end of the summer).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:Not sure if I'm being paranoid, but do firms ever say they'll hold a full-time position open while a person does a clerkship and then retract the offer later? I just don't want to take a year off to do a clerkship only to have a permanent offer pulled back (assuming I get one at the end of the summer).
Bump. Anyone?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:53 am

I've never heard of this happening, and I think it would piss off the judges, so unless your firm had such a drastic economic decline that they had to fire people, I can't see it happening.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:09 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I've never heard of this happening, and I think it would piss off the judges, so unless your firm had such a drastic economic decline that they had to fire people, I can't see it happening.
Thank you!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”