OSCAR Writing Samples Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
fisch

New

OSCAR Writing Samples

Post by fisch » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:31 pm

I need help with OSCAR re writing samples

Oscar insists on a pdf of less than 300kb. But, judges want 10-15 page samples, and a pdf like that is more than 1 KB? So, how does this work? :cry:

station4

New

Re: OSCAR Writing Samples

Post by station4 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:06 pm

http://compress.smallpdf.com/

This will compress your PDF into a usable size and it's free. I guess alternatively you can find someone with a real version of Adobe (not just the Reader), however, I used this for all my OSCAR apps and it worked great.

futurehorse

New

Post by futurehorse » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:07 pm

I assume you mean "more than one 1 MB"? How are you creating the PDF? Scanning it using a home printer with minimal functions might make it that big -- it also probably doesn't look that great.

I highly recommend setting your printer to "Save as PDF" in Word, or simply using the "Save as PDF" function outlined here if you have Word 2007: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word- ... 64992.aspx. My 10-page writing sample clocks in at 51 kb.

fisch

New

Post by fisch » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:28 pm

You're exactly right. For reasons no one who is not old would understand, I only have a printed copy of the writing sample. I did scan it on a printer as a pdf. I will try to follow your directions

Thanks for the help!

fisch

New

Post by fisch » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:36 pm

Wait,

I don't think I can it as a pdf from my scanner. I don't have a document in word. I only have a hard copy. I also still have windows xp circa 2004 so I don't have the microsoft office icon it is talking about.

Any ideas? If I retype the hard copy as a new word document and then convert to pdf, will that do it? (ugh, to retype and proofread an appellate brief is a drag)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fisch

New

Post by fisch » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:39 pm

Station 4

I downloaded wise convert from your link. But when I ran the program it only seems to convert files into pdf. I need it to take an existing pdf into a smaller one.

Am I missing something?

legalese_retard

Bronze

Post by legalese_retard » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:52 am

If you are still in law school, go to your career services office and tell them you need to upload the document on OSCAR. If they can't, have them upload it on your school's symplicity website then save that copy on your computer. You can also try using one of the library's computer. I am sure they have the advanced version of adobe that will allow you to compress the file.

If all else fails, go to Kinkos and have them scan and upload the file for you. They will probably charge you a couple of bucks, but I think it will be worth it to avoid the headaches.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:05 am

Acrobat will compress your files. Your school's library should have it.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:06 am

fisch wrote:Wait,

I don't think I can it as a pdf from my scanner. I don't have a document in word. I only have a hard copy. I also still have windows xp circa 2004 so I don't have the microsoft office icon it is talking about.

Any ideas? If I retype the hard copy as a new word document and then convert to pdf, will that do it? (ugh, to retype and proofread an appellate brief is a drag)
Huge mistake. What if you discover a typo????

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:18 pm

Just a warning/heads up - be careful using online compressors. At one point I used one to compress a writing sample file (I had saved the Word file as a PDF, which created a huge file) and it eliminated all the italics in the document. I almost submitted it, then realized at the last minute that it was messed up. I ended up printing to PDF from Word which worked fine.

fisch

New

Post by fisch » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:35 am

Thank you and bless you to the people who replied. I ended up taking it to kinkos and got it done. :)

dannynoonan87

Bronze

Post by dannynoonan87 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:01 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”