Principle/principal Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Principle/principal

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:53 pm

This must be the most common grammatical error I see in briefs, or the one that jumps out at me the most. It's more infuriating since there are so many ways it can come up in a litigation (principal of a loan, principal member of a company, legal principles) and I'd think lawyers understood the difference. /rant.

Anyone have any other briefing related rants?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Principle/principal

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This must be the most common grammatical error I see in briefs, or the one that jumps out at me the most. It's more infuriating since there are so many ways it can come up in a litigation (principal of a loan, principal member of a company, legal principles) and I'd think lawyers understood the difference. /rant.

It's not really a rant, because it mostly made me laugh, but whenever anyone starts waxing poetic about RIGHTS and FREEDOMS and LIBERTY and THE CONSTITUTION, I know they have a loser case.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:59 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This must be the most common grammatical error I see in briefs, or the one that jumps out at me the most. It's more infuriating since there are so many ways it can come up in a litigation (principal of a loan, principal member of a company, legal principles) and I'd think lawyers understood the difference. /rant.

It's not really a rant, because it mostly made me laugh, but whenever anyone starts waxing poetic about RIGHTS and FREEDOMS and LIBERTY and THE CONSTITUTION, I know they have a loser case.
Somebody cited The Federalist once. I lol'd.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

I once cited the Federalist in a draft order for my judge. The judge lol'd.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

I once cited the Federalist in a draft order for my judge. The judge lol'd.

I think I can top that, although it was a bench memo. Saw an opportunity to cite Leviticus and jumped on it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”