LOR Question Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

LOR Question

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:08 am

I'm currently a SSC until August 2015. I'm going to mass mail the DC and COA judges in my circuit to try to secure a federal clerkship for a year or two. OSCAR is so hit or miss in my circuit so I'm just going to mail in. I'm going to make a packet at kinkos with all of my documents but I was wondering if anyone had ever mass mailed using a reference sheet in lieu of LORs. I live in another state from my law school so professor LORs would be tough to get for a mass mailing. Same with my former employee. I could probably get the judge I work for now to write one but we haven't discussed me going on the job market in 18 months (and I was hired for a 1 year and he asked me to stay a 2nd and I anticipate he'll ask me for a 3rd, so I don't wanna go there unless I have to)

I've got a great list of references but wondered if it would just be a waste to mass mail without LOR

Anonymous User

Re: LOR Question

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm currently a SSC until August 2015. I'm going to mass mail the DC and COA judges in my circuit to try to secure a federal clerkship for a year or two. OSCAR is so hit or miss in my circuit so I'm just going to mail in. I'm going to make a packet at kinkos with all of my documents but I was wondering if anyone had ever mass mailed using a reference sheet in lieu of LORs. I live in another state from my law school so professor LORs would be tough to get for a mass mailing. Same with my former employee. I could probably get the judge I work for now to write one but we haven't discussed me going on the job market in 18 months (and I was hired for a 1 year and he asked me to stay a 2nd and I anticipate he'll ask me for a 3rd, so I don't wanna go there unless I have to)

I've got a great list of references but wondered if it would just be a waste to mass mail without LOR
From what I've read, you have been with this judge for 6 months? If yes, you can ask him to write you one now.

With one LOR (a great one actually-from the judge you are clerking for), you can mass-mail using that one and include 2-4 more refs with a line saying "(more recommendation letters available upon request)". Thats what I did and I have gotten some bites from mass mailings.

Also make sure to get ur judge to make recommendations/calls for you, its much easier to get your apps pulled that way.

P.S. just curious on how you got this clerkship in the first place without having rec letters. Just use your old ones as addition (even for OSCAR).

Anonymous User

Re: LOR Question

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm currently a SSC until August 2015. I'm going to mass mail the DC and COA judges in my circuit to try to secure a federal clerkship for a year or two. OSCAR is so hit or miss in my circuit so I'm just going to mail in. I'm going to make a packet at kinkos with all of my documents but I was wondering if anyone had ever mass mailed using a reference sheet in lieu of LORs. I live in another state from my law school so professor LORs would be tough to get for a mass mailing. Same with my former employee. I could probably get the judge I work for now to write one but we haven't discussed me going on the job market in 18 months (and I was hired for a 1 year and he asked me to stay a 2nd and I anticipate he'll ask me for a 3rd, so I don't wanna go there unless I have to)

From what I've read, you have been with this judge for 6 months? If yes, you can ask him to write you one now.

With one LOR (a great one actually-from the judge you are clerking for), you can mass-mail using that one and include 2-4 more refs with a line saying "(more recommendation letters available upon request)". Thats what I did and I have gotten some bites from mass mailings.

Also make sure to get ur judge to make recommendations/calls for you, its much easier to get your apps pulled that way.

P.S. just curious on how you got this clerkship in the first place without having rec letters. Just use your old ones as addition (even for OSCAR).
I actually got this clerkship the same way. I made a bunch of bound packets at kinkos with a writing sample, resume, etc... I did include LORs that time. Randomly got a call from this judge one day.

I just guess I wanted to avoid having to get a letter from him because I feel weird about asking since I've only been there since August and he doesn't get really involved in the mentoring role so we haven't talked about my post-clerkship plans at all.

Unfortunately I did all paper mailings last time so I don't have any LORs on OSCAR so I'd have to get them all to do knew ones and sign another 30-40 each. Hate burdening them, but I think it's just something I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and do.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”