Post-Clerkship Job hunt (Fall 2014 cycle) Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
ResIpsa21

Bronze

Re: Post-Clerkship Job hunt (Fall 2014 cycle)

Post by ResIpsa21 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:13 am

legalese_retard wrote:
ResIpsa21 wrote:
legalese_retard wrote:Anyone know of any specific firms actually looking?
My biglaw firm just sent around our monthly internal recruiting opportunities newsletter with the headline "referrals encouraged." If I recall correctly from your earlier posts, you'd be a candidate for IP, right? Or are you looking broadly? Some openings are listed in this newsletter in our TX offices.
I worked on a couple of patent cases as a clerk, but I don't have an engineering or science background. I'd say 10% of the work I did while clerking was patent related, so I don't think I'd be too competitive for IP positions.
I see. These listings require hard science degrees. What was your experience pre-clerkship, if you don't mind explaining generally? Also a listing for TX corporate/securities associate and does not explicitly require prior biglaw experience.

legalese_retard

Bronze

Post by legalese_retard » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:02 pm

I have applied to corporate and transactional associate positions, but have been rejected. Prior to my clerkship, I was a staff attorney for a big personal injury firm. I wasn't getting any substantive experience, which was why I did the clerkships after working at a firm.

legalese_retard

Bronze

Post by legalese_retard » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:27 pm

Finally scored an interview with a regional firm next week. Don't want to get my hopes up, but glad someone finally found some interest in me. Now I have to work on my interviewing skills. I just hope I don't turn into Robbin Williams in Mrs. Doubtfire and repeatedly yell "I-AM-JOB!" the entire time.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:07 pm

legalese_retard wrote:Finally scored an interview with a regional firm next week. Don't want to get my hopes up, but glad someone finally found some interest in me. Now I have to work on my interviewing skills. I just hope I don't turn into Robbin Williams in Mrs. Doubtfire and repeatedly yell "I-AM-JOB!" the entire time.
good luck, man

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:33 pm

So if you applied for the fall 2014 firm cycle (i.e. submitted applications between Jan - June 2014 for positions starting fall 2014) struck out, decided to extend your clerkship another year, and want to submit an application for associate positions starting fall 2015, do you simply resubmit your applications to these same firms in Jan - June 2015? Do you mention you are reapplying? Do you not apply to these firms since you already struck out during spring 2014 application season?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:27 pm

I'd apply and don't mention the old app. I had about 8 or 9 callbacks after extending my clerkship, all at Firm's that had rejected me initially. Could've been a timing thing the first time, but it never came up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'd apply and don't mention the old app. I had about 8 or 9 callbacks after extending my clerkship, all at Firm's that had rejected me initially. Could've been a timing thing the first time, but it never came up.
When did you apply after you extended your clerkship? (I know most say that for big law, apply after january of 2015 for fall 2015 positions while others say to apply starting september 2014 for these same positions)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'd apply and don't mention the old app. I had about 8 or 9 callbacks after extending my clerkship, all at Firm's that had rejected me initially. Could've been a timing thing the first time, but it never came up.
When did you apply after you extended your clerkship? (I know most say that for big law, apply after january of 2015 for fall 2015 positions while others say to apply starting september 2014 for these same positions)

I applied in the Spring, probably March-ish for Fall 14 positions. I started getting interviews in dribs and drabs in April, really picked up in May, and then some more in June and July. Accepted a position in July. I do know several clerks, however, that had jobs lined up by October/November of the year before. It really depends on the Firm.

BearState

Bronze

Post by BearState » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:23 am

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
legalese_retard wrote:Finally scored an interview with a regional firm next week. Don't want to get my hopes up, but glad someone finally found some interest in me. Now I have to work on my interviewing skills. I just hope I don't turn into Robbin Williams in Mrs. Doubtfire and repeatedly yell "I-AM-JOB!" the entire time.
good luck, man

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

legalese_retard

Bronze

Post by legalese_retard » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:24 pm

So am I the only one who can't get a job after a clerkship? My clerkship ended two months ago and I have no idea what to do. I don't qualify for any of the recent job postings and have struck out of the few interviews I've had.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”