Clerk for another year or try to go to a firm? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
ZyzzBrah

Bronze

Clerk for another year or try to go to a firm?

Post by ZyzzBrah » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:40 pm

Starting my 3L this fall and I already have a SSC in my home state (mid-atlantic region) for 2014-15. I am currently preparing some applications for district court clerkships the year after my SSC ends 2015-16.

Assuming I get some interviews, I would potentially have an offer in the fall-winter since I wouldn't have to follow the hiring plan. Or in other words, many months before I would even start applying for firms if I decided to try to go to private practice after the SSC. Question is: if you got an offer for a district court clerkship would you take it and be locked in for 2 years of clerking total (SSC + D. Ct.) thereby forgoing your chance to start at a firm in 2015 or just avoid this situation all together?

If it matters at all, the d. ct. clerkships I would potential apply to would be in a major market or in a state close to a major market (DC, Md., Va., De. etc)

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Clerk for another year or try to go to a firm?

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:45 pm

If you don't already have a firm job lined up for after the SSC that you're going to have to ask to keep your position open for another year, why wouldn't you do this?

Or, if you mean, is it worth doing two clerkships, one state and one federal, then yes, I'd say it is, based on personal experience. Federal district court is completely different from state appellate, you'll address different issues and learn different things, and the experience is completely worthwhile. (Also, I found that having the state clerkship made me a more attractive federal clerkship applicant.)

ZyzzBrah

Bronze

Post by ZyzzBrah » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:51 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:If you don't already have a firm job lined up for after the SSC that you're going to have to ask to keep your position open for another year, why wouldn't you do this?

Or, if you mean, is it worth doing two clerkships, one state and one federal, then yes, I'd say it is, based on personal experience. Federal district court is completely different from state appellate, you'll address different issues and learn different things, and the experience is completely worthwhile. (Also, I found that having the state clerkship made me a more attractive federal clerkship applicant.)

Thanks, Im leaning towards this answer, its just so odd to me to lock myself into a job so far in advance. Obviously if I got a ddc I'd take it in a heartbeat, but if I got a d. ct. in greenbelt, md, I'm not so sure, if that makes sense.

Taking the SSC was easy last semester (a year and a half out), because I didn't get an SA so I knew I wouldn't get an offer at a firm very easily. This is not so easy, because I've met some former clerks who went to firms in the area I'd love to work for after the SSC (i know this is wishful thinking btw).

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:58 pm

ZyzzBrah wrote:Thanks, Im leaning towards this answer, its just so odd to me to lock myself into a job so far in advance. Obviously if I got a ddc I'd take it in a heartbeat, but if I got a d. ct. in greenbelt, md, I'm not so sure, if that makes sense.

Taking the SSC was easy last semester (a year and a half out), because I didn't get an SA so I knew I wouldn't get an offer at a firm very easily. This is not so easy, because I've met some former clerks who went to firms in the area I'd love to work for after the SSC.
The timing of clerkships is weird, but it's just the nature of the game. And as for the firms you'd love to work for - you don't know when they'll have openings, if they have openings, or whether they might love someone with federal clerkship experience even more than state experience. You do just have to watch job openings go by because it's too early to apply, and that's a little tough, but that will be the case during 3L and your SSC clerkship, too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:34 am

If my SSC was not two years long, I would totally do this. Clerking for a SSC has definite benefits and you get a very rare insight into the law from an academic perspective, but if you want to work biglaw a district court will be much more valuable for the substantive experience (both in observing trials and motion practice, and in areas of law that are entirely federal).

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:15 am

I think you should go ahead and apply to (and if offered, accept) the d.ct. clerkships.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”