Interest section on resumes Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Interest section on resumes

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:33 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:I've got six jobs plus volunteer gigs on my resume and it's still one page, with an interests line. Almost everyone should be able to fit it on a page. My career adviser was pretty adamant.
This brings up an interesting question:

Which do they view with more weight, multiple short term gigs or one or two longer ones?
I don't think there's any way to definitively answer that. Do they add up to the same total time? Were you bouncing from menial job to job because you kept getting fired? Were the jobs equal in impressiveness just different in duration? Were you changing jobs because something obviously more impressive came available?

My six jobs stretched over 14 years, including undergrad, so it's not like I was working for three months at a time.

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:35 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
thelawdoctor wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:I've got six jobs plus volunteer gigs on my resume and it's still one page, with an interests line. Almost everyone should be able to fit it on a page. My career adviser was pretty adamant.

Which do they view with more weight, multiple short term gigs or one or two longer ones?
I don't think there's any way to definitively answer that. Do they add up to the same total time? Were you bouncing from menial job to job because you kept getting fired? Were the jobs equal in impressiveness just different in duration? Were you changing jobs because something obviously more impressive came available?

My six jobs stretched over 14 years, including undergrad, so it's not like I was working for three months at a time.
ok I thought you meant gigs while in law school, but yeah there could be a lot of variables

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:37 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
thelawdoctor wrote:

ok I thought you meant gigs while in law school, but yeah there could be a lot of variables
Nah, I'm a 1L (well, rising 2L?) and just started my first summer legal job. By next summer I'm probably going to have to drop my UG summer internships off the bottom of my resume for space reasons.

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:40 pm

well, at least you have the real world stuff down (I am told some employers like to see that)

you have plenty of time to puff up the resume still, I say do it.

People act like mootcourt and law review don't matter, I say BS. I have had potential employers straight up tell me that they will not even consider someone unless they have published articles or placed in mock trial.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:42 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:well, at least you have the real world stuff down (I am told some employers like to see that)

People act like mootcourt and law review don't matter, I say BS. I have had potential employers straight up tell me that they will not even consider someone unless they have published articles or placed in mock trial.
I've never met anyone who said law review didn't matter. It matters a lot

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:50 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:well, at least you have the real world stuff down (I am told some employers like to see that)

I'm not sure where I sounded like I was done adding things to my resume. I've got 7 bullet points under my law school header just from 1L year (from club sports to a scholarship) and I figure I'll add a few more. And I did write-on: just waitin' to hear if I got a journal.

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:53 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

I'm not sure where I sounded like I was done adding things to my resume. I've got 7 bullet points under my law school header just from 1L year (from club sports to a scholarship) and I figure I'll add a few more. And I did write-on: just waitin' to hear if I got a journal.
never said that you implied that you were, was just making a blanket statement of facts in case another reader or yourself might benefit from it. I don't doubt your plans.

Best of luck on your application. I hope you get in and do well.

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:55 pm

guano wrote:

I've read people post it on here more than once, same for GPA. I got a whole thread at me the other day just for saying that GPA matters (no joke).

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:59 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:
guano wrote:

I've read people post it on here more than once, same for GPA. I got a whole thread at me the other day just for saying that GPA matters (no joke).
I've seen people say that if you don't get LR, which journal you do doesn't really matter. But never that LR doesn't matter.

The extent to which GPA matters does vary a lot by school, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:01 pm

Talk to a hundred people, get 101 opinions I guess........

why would you say GPA value varies by school?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:11 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:Talk to a hundred people, get 101 opinions I guess........

Think about the GPA (and class rank) that one would need to have a good shot at the same job coming from, say, NYU vs. IU Bloomington vs. Cooley. That's why.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:53 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

Think about the GPA (and class rank) that one would need to have a good shot at the same job coming from, say, NYU vs. IU Bloomington vs. Cooley. That's why.
Yeah this.

What actually matters is class rank, which is indicated by GPA. because every school curves differently, GPA isn't easily comparable while class rank is. At a lower T14, top 50% is competitive for biglaw (give or take) while at many/most T1s anyone outside of the top quarter (being generous here) is not. Similarly, at TTTs, anyone outside the top 5% has virtually no chance.

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:43 pm

guano wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Yeah this.

What actually matters is class rank, which is indicated by GPA. because every school curves differently, GPA isn't easily comparable while class rank is. At a lower T14, top 50% is competitive for biglaw (give or take) while at many/most T1s anyone outside of the top quarter (being generous here) is not. Similarly, at TTTs, anyone outside the top 5% has virtually no chance.
Ok.................but one would be safe to say that having a higher GPA increases the odds of a higher class rank...............

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:45 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:
guano wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Yeah this.

Ok.................but one would be safe to say that having a higher GPA increases the odds of a higher class rank...............
You're missing the point.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:46 pm

1Ls and dropouts shouldn't be giving advice in the clerkship forum.

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:47 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:1Ls and dropouts shouldn't be giving advice in the clerkship forum.
classic ad hominem blah,blah, blah,

random guy I don't believe you are blah,blah, blah..............

post your transcripts and then I'll post mine.
Last edited by thelawdoctor on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:48 pm

Maybe you and I are trying to make separate points, but mine is that GPA DOES MATTER

even if just to say that you need thing A to do thing B.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:02 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:1Ls and dropouts shouldn't be giving advice in the clerkship forum.
classic ad hominem blah,blah, blah,

random guy I don't believe you are blah,blah, blah..............

post your transcripts and then I'll post mine.
I wasn't even talking to you, word salad.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”