thankyou note? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

thankyou note?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:26 pm

Should we send thank-you notes after interviews?

Anonymous User

Re: thankyou note?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:20 pm

I think so, but I know not everyone sends them. I tend to be overly polite.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:25 pm

I did it for firms, but not for judges. I don't think it is customary for clerkship interviews. Unlike with OCI (where you could be doing callbacks with many firms in a very compressed period of time), I think there is less of a need to emphasize your interest in the position.

emciosn

Bronze

Post by emciosn » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:27 pm

I sent thank you notes for all my clerkship interviews last fall. It certainly wouldn't hurt and may even help with someone so I think its a good idea. FWIW the clerkship adviser in my CSO says that you should always send thank yous after clerkship interviews.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:34 pm

I did (and did the whole handwritten card thing, too, though I'm not sure it's necessary).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:31 pm

If I met with the clerks, would I need to send one to each of them, as well (if we send them at all)?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:01 pm

I sent one to the judge, asking him/her to thank their clerks (whom I mentioned by name) for taking the time to meet with me. I have no idea if that is/isn't proper etiquette, but that's what I did.

(I'm trying to remember - one of the people we interviewed in chambers sent a thank-you note, but I honestly can't remember if she sent one to each of us or if I just saw the note to the judge. Either way, if I can't remember, I doubt it matters.)

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:19 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I sent one to the judge, asking him/her to thank their clerks (whom I mentioned by name) for taking the time to meet with me. I have no idea if that is/isn't proper etiquette, but that's what I did.

(I'm trying to remember - one of the people we interviewed in chambers sent a thank-you note, but I honestly can't remember if she sent one to each of us or if I just saw the note to the judge. Either way, if I can't remember, I doubt it matters.)
Thanks.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:43 pm

I would send one. Just direct it to the judge. You can also send one to any clerks you met with, particularly if you feel like they have a pretty strong say in hiring (they don't always, since they're not the ones that will have to work with you--it's the judge, JA if there is one, and career clerk if there is one that will). The thank you letters are not because you want to emphasize your interest in the position per se, but because you want to appear like a nice, polite person that the judge is going to feel like they would like to spend a year (or two) with.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”