Let's Talk 3rd Circuit! Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Let's Talk 3rd Circuit!

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 14, 2019 4:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bumping this because curious if anyone has insight on how competitive the Newark judges are. Given the ease of commute from NYC, is it just as difficult as landing a clerkship in the city (2d Cir or SDNY/EDNY)?
For the reasons you stated, it's as competitive as non-feeder 2d Cir./SDNY. Number of Chagares's recent clerks were magna @ HLS + Law Review, YLS, etc. Matey seems similarly credential-focused
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed May 15, 2019 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Tue May 14, 2019 4:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bumping this because curious if anyone has insight on how competitive the Newark judges are. Given the ease of commute from NYC, is it just as difficult as landing a clerkship in the city (2d Cir or SDNY/EDNY)?
For the reasons you stated, it's as competitive as non-feeder 2d Cir./SDNY. Chagares's clerks were magna @ HLS + Law Review, YLS, etc. Matey seems similarly credential-focused
According to my data, median 2d Cir. is top 5%; median 3d Cir. is top 25% (median SDNY magistrate is top 25%).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 14, 2019 5:19 pm

Wild Card wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
For the reasons you stated, it's as competitive as non-feeder 2d Cir./SDNY. Chagares's clerks were magna @ HLS + Law Review, YLS, etc. Matey seems similarly credential-focused
According to my data, median 2d Cir. is top 5%; median 3d Cir. is top 25% (median SDNY magistrate is top 25%).
I can't tell if this is a troll, but if not -- we're not talking about median 3d Cir. judges, we're talking about Newark, i.e. where you can commute from New York City. The applicant pool is, to put it mildly, a bit stronger than the pool applying to SDNY magistrate judges

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Tue May 14, 2019 8:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wild Card wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I can't tell if this is a troll, but if not -- we're not talking about median 3d Cir. judges, we're talking about Newark, i.e. where you can commute from New York City. The applicant pool is, to put it mildly, a bit stronger than the pool applying to SDNY magistrate judges
I know what we're talking about. Not sure why you assumed I didn't. Though I'll clarify that I was talking about those who ultimately accept.

The median of those who receive 3d Cir. interviews is indeed top 10%. I suppose this means that most of those fortunate to land an interview with a 3d Cir. Newark judge end up clerking elsewhere.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 14, 2019 8:53 pm

Wild Card wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Wild Card wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I know what we're talking about. Not sure why you assumed I didn't. Though I'll clarify that I was talking about those who ultimately accept.

The median of those who receive 3d Cir. interviews is indeed top 10%. I suppose this means that most of those fortunate to land an interview with a 3d Cir. Newark judge end up clerking elsewhere.
Cool, glad we're on the same page. What's your sample size for "offered interviews" and "accepted"?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Tue May 14, 2019 11:16 pm

Why are y'all taking the bait? He's trolling.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 15, 2019 12:44 am

lavarman84 wrote:Why are y'all taking the bait? He's trolling.
apparently because I'm an idiot

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Wed May 15, 2019 1:26 am

lavarman84 wrote:Why are y'all taking the bait? He's trolling.
I respect your lifestyle choices.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:25 pm

Just accepted 3rd Circuit offer for 2020-21. Top 1/4 HYS, district court clerkship, a couple years out of LS. The spots are out there, and good luck to all!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous5432

New

Post by Anonymous5432 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just accepted 3rd Circuit offer for 2020-21. Top 1/4 HYS, district court clerkship, a couple years out of LS. The spots are out there, and good luck to all!
Do you mind sharing what judge and/or whether the judge is still hiring for that term?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:53 am

Do you mind sharing what judge and/or whether the judge is still hiring for that term?
Original poster here. Don't want to out myself, but I'll say this much: it is a Pennsylvania- (but not Philly-) based CA3 judge. The judge was interviewing another candidate a few days after me, and said there were 2 spots remaining for my term.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Original poster here. Don't want to out myself, but I'll say this much: it is a Pennsylvania- (but not Philly-) based CA3 judge. The judge was interviewing another candidate a few days after me, and said there were 2 spots remaining for my term.
If it's Fisher or Hardiman, both are phenomenal people.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:52 pm

Anyone know what any of the new Trump appointees are like as bosses? Bibas, Porter, Matey, Phipps.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know what any of the new Trump appointees are like as bosses? Bibas, Porter, Matey, Phipps.
I've heard Bibas works his clerks very, very hard

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:12 pm

Has anyone heard anything for interviews? Rising 3L applied with the federal hiring plan, especially hoping to hear from Shwartz and/or Greenaway.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:09 am

lavarman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
As is Smith

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
As is Smith
As is Phipps (not yet confirmed to the 3rd Circuit, I know). I'm a current clerk in the same courthouse, and the guy is super friendly and enthusiastic.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:49 am

Does anyone know anything about Porter? A former colleague of his reached out on my behalf, but he never responded. Admittedly, they were not close, but I thought it was strange that my recommender never heard back. Maybe Porter didn't get it, or maybe its not as strange as I think because of how busy he might be?

Anon b/c info would out me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 10, 2020 5:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:56 pm
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know what any of the new Trump appointees are like as bosses? Bibas, Porter, Matey, Phipps.
Bibas is clearly a genius, and his writing is fantastic, but I've heard that he's not personable at all and that he works his clerks hard. And he doesn't seem to really attract or choose feeder-level students like you might expect a world-class scholar on an appellate court in a major coastal city to.

I've heard good things about Phipps, who's supposed to be a great guy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 10, 2020 9:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 5:44 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Bibas is clearly a genius, and his writing is fantastic, but I've heard that he's not personable at all and that he works his clerks hard. And he doesn't seem to really attract or choose feeder-level students like you might expect a world-class scholar on an appellate court in a major coastal city to.

Can any one be more specific about Bibas? There have been several comments that he works his clerks "very hard," but it's impossible to know what the commenter's reference point for that is. Does that mean longish but not insane hours and high standards? Or does it mean all day every day, hours beyond what are necessary/healthy, and expectations that are very difficult to meet? Would welcome any clarification that can be provided, thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 11, 2020 11:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 9:09 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Can any one be more specific about Bibas? There have been several comments that he works his clerks "very hard," but it's impossible to know what the commenter's reference point for that is. Does that mean longish but not insane hours and high standards? Or does it mean all day every day, hours beyond what are necessary/healthy, and expectations that are very difficult to meet? Would welcome any clarification that can be provided, thanks.
I've heard different things about Bibas. I heard that he's great with his clerks, eating lunch with them every day and doing activities with them outside the courthouse. They seemed to like him a lot. His clerks seemed to work normal hours and leave at around 5pm every day. I think they worked similar hours to us and got holidays off. Met him at orientation, and he seemed personable enough. He makes them climb up the courthouse stairs, so that's something weird about his chambers.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 11, 2020 11:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 11:25 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I've heard different things about Bibas. I heard that he's great with his clerks, eating lunch with them every day and doing activities with them outside the courthouse. They seemed to like him a lot. His clerks seemed to work normal hours and leave at around 5pm every day. I think they worked similar hours to us and got holidays off. Met him at orientation, and he seemed personable enough. He makes them climb up the courthouse stairs, so that's something weird about his chambers.
My understanding is consistent with all of the previous comments. He cares a lot about mentoring his clerks, probably more than most judges (e.g. the lunch thing). At the same time he’s very intense and formal and has high expectations for the amount and quality of work. I think everyone I’ve ever talked to about him (a prof who knows him well, former interviewees, other CA3 clerks) has used the word “cold.” I’ve heard nothing that would stop me from clerking with him, but it might be similar to Judge Krause in that there are pluses and minuses.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 11, 2020 3:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 11:43 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 11:25 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

My understanding is consistent with all of the previous comments. He cares a lot about mentoring his clerks, probably more than most judges (e.g. the lunch thing). At the same time he’s very intense and formal and has high expectations for the amount and quality of work. I think everyone I’ve ever talked to about him (a prof who knows him well, former interviewees, other CA3 clerks) has used the word “cold.” I’ve heard nothing that would stop me from clerking with him, but it might be similar to Judge Krause in that there are pluses and minuses.
I had a brief interaction with Judge Bibas and know people who will and have clerked for him. He is extremely sharp and can come off as cold. From my personal interaction with him and what I've heard from a clerk, he is intellectual and cares deeply about dealing correctly with issues.

One thing that stood out is that he takes his faith seriously and is a caring person, even if he doesn't come off as the friendliest.

A clerkship with him would be an amazing learning experience and an opportunity to gain a great mentor who cares.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 11, 2020 4:50 pm

Didn’t want to quote due to the length but those were all super helpful, thank you! Definitely sounds like a worthwhile opportunity.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 16, 2020 8:30 pm

Anyone info. on Greenaway?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”