Let's Talk 3rd Circuit! Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Let's Talk 3rd Circuit!

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:46 pm
Current Third Circuit clerk happy to take questions for a bit/as long as I'm paying attention.
thoughts on the Pittsburgh CA judges?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:24 pm

Interested specifically in Fisher (I'm not the above poster)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Current Third Circuit clerk happy to take questions for a bit/as long as I'm paying attention.
Which judges may be more amenable to a PI student with secondary journal e-board from The t-14 but top third grades? Obviously a longshot, but curious if there's anyone where the door may be more cracked.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:34 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Hardiman is obviously the most high profile and seems to be a very pleasant guy. I hear he's a great boss. Phipps also seems great, from what I've seen. Porter's clerks also seem to like him a lot, though he doesn't strike me as being as strong a judge or writer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:17 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Which judges may be more amenable to a PI student with secondary journal e-board from The t-14 but top third grades? Obviously a longshot, but curious if there's anyone where the door may be more cracked.
Restrepo comes to mind.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:37 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:34 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Hardiman is obviously the most high profile and seems to be a very pleasant guy. I hear he's a great boss. Phipps also seems great, from what I've seen. Porter's clerks also seem to like him a lot, though he doesn't strike me as being as strong a judge or writer.
Different anon and want to echo this. I think all four judges (Hardiman, Fisher, Porter, Phipps) are generally nice people and good bosses. No question that Hardiman has a national profile nowadays. Phipps has made a very strong impression early on--always prepared, insightful, and very friendly. Fisher is experienced and Porter is new, but both seem like regular, capable judges on the bench (and I mean that in a complimentary fashion). Don't think you can really go wrong among the Pittsburgh group.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:17 am

I've heard quite a bit about what clerking for Hardiman is like. Everyone has wonderful things to say about what Hardiman is like as a boss and he's supposed to be a really exceptional mentor. Enters trivia competitions and runs races with his clerks and stuff. He's a Trump supporter (not a never-Trump GOP type, as you might expect from the SCOTUS consideration) but he hires across the spectrum.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:22 pm
Any opinions/knowledge on CA3 Newark Judges(Greenaway, Shwartz, Chagares, Matey) personalities, work life, etc. and just the CA3 experience in general? Thanks so much!
They all seem like very nice people from my experience. The work product coming from the Greenaway chambers seems a little bit spotty though, IMHO.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:49 pm

Any 3d Circuit movement? Or does it seem like they're waiting to do in-person interviews?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:23 am

The only movement I am aware of is Krause (as per OSCAR) and Ambro (as per clerkship office) both filling. I haven't heard anything else but would love to know what's going on. Due to my partner's career, CA2/3 are the only courts I'm reasonably able to apply to!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:22 am

My CA3 judge filled for 21-22 quite a while back and is holding off on interviewing for additional terms for a variety of reasons.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:49 pm
Any 3d Circuit movement? Or does it seem like they're waiting to do in-person interviews?
Pretty sure most of CA3 has long since filled, sorry. Some updates up the thread and on the 2021 thread.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:58 am

I've seen some judges have filled for 22–23, like Chagares. Is anyone aware of any other 22–23 movement?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:07 am
Anyone interview and or get an offer recently?
I haven't heard a thing. I'd love to know if anyone has heard anything--2021 or 2022--from Fuentes, Restrepo, or Greenaway chambers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:13 pm

I candidly do not quite understand the appointment/vacancy process -- but I am curious if anyone thinks there will be new appointments to 3rd circuit (particularly NJ) soon. I know Greenberg just passed away (rest in peace) and Cowen is 90 years old.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:13 pm
I candidly do not quite understand the appointment/vacancy process -- but I am curious if anyone thinks there will be new appointments to 3rd circuit (particularly NJ) soon. I know Greenberg just passed away (rest in peace) and Cowen is 90 years old.
Their spots were filled back when they went senior. Senior judges don’t get replaced with appointments when they die/retire.

Iowahawk

Bronze

Post by Iowahawk » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
The key to find likely retirements is to look for (1) judges who are eligible for senior status (well-compensated semi-retirement)--you can find the formula on Wikipedia--and (2) ideologically compatible with the current presidential administration. From the Third, Biden will likely replace Ambro, Greenaway, and McKee, all of whom are liberals who could take senior status within the next couple of years. He could also possibly replace D. Brooks Smith, who may go senior when his term as chief ends, as some judges do.

There will be a lot of appointments to the District of New Jersey soon if you're interested in that.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:21 pm

Iowahawk wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:32 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
The key to find likely retirements is to look for (1) judges who are eligible for senior status (well-compensated semi-retirement)--you can find the formula on Wikipedia--and (2) ideologically compatible with the current presidential administration. From the Third, Biden will likely replace Ambro, Greenaway, and McKee, all of whom are liberals who could take senior status within the next couple of years. He could also possibly replace D. Brooks Smith, who may go senior when his term as chief ends, as some judges do.

There will be a lot of appointments to the District of New Jersey soon if you're interested in that.
Thank you! This is very helpful. :D

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:16 pm

Any insight on Chief Judge Smith? I'm planning to apply, but my HYS does not have any helpful information about him, nor do any alumni appear to have clerked for him.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:04 pm

Any insight on Chief Judge Smith? I'm planning to apply, but my HYS does not have any helpful information about him, nor do any alumni appear to have clerked for him.
Chief Judge Smith is regarded as a thoughtful judge, good boss, and amiable Chief. Really shone during the 2020 election drama. Has grown less conservative and more centrist in recent years. Likes to hire from UChicago and UVA, but also takes from other top law schools. He recently made a 2022-23 hire and may still have one spot left for that term. Doesn't mind, and indeed may prefer, candidates with a year or two of experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:04 pm
Chief Judge Smith is regarded as a thoughtful judge, good boss, and amiable Chief. Really shone during the 2020 election drama. Has grown less conservative and more centrist in recent years. Likes to hire from UChicago and UVA, but also takes from other top law schools. He recently made a 2022-23 hire and may still have one spot left for that term. Doesn't mind, and indeed may prefer, candidates with a year or two of experience.
Only other thing worth seriously considering is that Smith's chambers is just outside Altoona, PA. Genuinely the worst location in the circuit, and by a wide margin. On the flipside, you're just under an hour to Penn State (will be fun on fall Saturdays) and just under two to Pittsburgh (close enough for a few weekends, if you're up for it). Otherwise, Altoona has a AA minor-league baseball team and not a whole lot else.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:04 pm
Only other thing worth seriously considering is that Smith's chambers is just outside Altoona, PA. Genuinely the worst location in the circuit, and by a wide margin. On the flipside, you're just under an hour to Penn State (will be fun on fall Saturdays) and just under two to Pittsburgh (close enough for a few weekends, if you're up for it). Otherwise, Altoona has a AA minor-league baseball team and not a whole lot else.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:53 am

Genuinely the worst location in the circuit, and by a wide margin.
Not sure Altoona is "by a wide margin" worse than Newark or Trenton or Erie, especially given that COVID has reduced (and likely for the next couple of years will continue to reduce) the opportunity cost of living in smaller cities and towns. Plus, you'd travel for sittings to the Circuit's larger cities, like Philly and Pittsburgh. The Altoona hate seems overblown.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:53 am
Genuinely the worst location in the circuit, and by a wide margin.
Not sure Altoona is "by a wide margin" worse than Newark or Trenton or Erie, especially given that COVID has reduced (and likely for the next couple of years will continue to reduce) the opportunity cost of living in smaller cities and towns. Plus, you'd travel for sittings to the Circuit's larger cities, like Philly and Pittsburgh. The Altoona hate seems overblown.
I don’t even hate Altoona but judging by this comment, it sounds like you haven’t been there. Just...not great if you don’t have family there. Trying to give prospective applicants a fair understanding. ~5 sittings a year breaks things up, but you’re really in chambers the vast majority of the time.

It’s the standout least desirable chambers location among the active judges (from the perspective of an average late 20s law clerk).

Nygaard (Erie) and Cowen (Trenton) hire only one clerk apiece. And Trenton’s ease of access to Philly, Newark, NYC puts it in a different category from Altoona, regardless.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:05 pm

Anyone know which COA judges are “off plan” judges (in the sense that they don’t reliably post openings on Oscar)?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”