Let's talk 2nd Circuit! Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Let's talk 2nd Circuit!

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:35 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:29 pm
What is Richard Sullivan's reputation?
Very extroverted and charming, judge’s judge (he’s a former trial lawyer and trial judge, not an ideologue), notorious workhorse, highly competent. His answers to questions for the record for the Judiciary Committee unusually show some personality and will give you a taste—he clearly wrote them himself.

https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/imo/me ... 20QFRs.pdf
At the 2014 Second Circuit Judicial Conference, you displayed a PowerPoint presentation to introduce new judges. The presentation included photo-shopped images of incoming federal judges. While each of the new male judges was depicted in suits or judicial robes, two female judges were photo-shopped so that their heads were placed on the bodies of an ice skater and an Irish dancer, respectively.

a. Why did you superimpose the images of the incoming female judges on the bodies of an ice skater and Irish dancer?

In 2014, Chief Judge Robert Katzmann asked me and another federal judge (Judge Roslynn Mauskopf from the Eastern District of New York) to serve as Toastmasters for the Second Circuit’s Annual Judicial Conference. As
Toastmasters, our chief function was to introduce – somewhat humorously – those judges who had assumed the bench in the past year. As is customary in such introductions, we received photographs, anecdotes, and stories from the judges’ colleagues, staff, friends, and families in an effort to provide a good-natured introduction that combined the judges’ professional resumes with “fun facts” involving their past lives, hobbies, and interests. Because there were 22 new judges appointed in the year before the 2014 conference, Judge Mauskopf and I divided up the newly appointed judges for purposes of the introduction. Although the slides were consolidated into a single powerpoint presentation, each of us took primary responsibility for the slides of our assigned judges, and the slides referenced in this question were not prepared by me. Nevertheless, I recall that the images described above were inspired by the fact that those judges had previously participated in the activities depicted – namely, figure skating and Irish step dancing.

Respectfully, it is inaccurate to suggest that “each of the new male judges was depicted in suits or judicial robes.” In fact, there were multiple photos of all the new judges – male and female – including baby photos, Halloween photos, and high school and college photos. One male judge was featured as a six-year old in a Batman costume; another was shown in a football uniform; one had his photo displayed along with characters from Sesame Street; one male judge had his head photo-shopped onto the body of a bike messenger;
ride-sharing judges from one district in the Circuit were depicted as circus clowns crammed into a tiny car; one female judge was introduced as “fearless” with the photo of a toreador staring down a bull; one male judge with the surname Hummell was introduced alongside a photo of a porcelain figurine; the chief judge from the “figure skating judge’s” district was photo- shopped onto a Zamboni, tasked with cleaning up after her figure-skating colleague. The powerpoint ended with a slide displaying photos of all the new judges – all in robes or business attire – under the legend “The Baby Bench” while the theme from “The Brady Bunch” played in the background. In all, the program was a tame introduction of new colleagues that seemed to
be well received by the 500 or so judges and lawyers in attendance, including Chief Judge Katzmann and Justice Ginsburg. It was of course intended to convey, among other things, that humor, humility, and the ability to laugh at oneself are important qualities in judges, and in all human beings. No reasonable reviewer of the powerpoint could believe it reflected sexism, on my part or anyone else’s.

Congress is a very serious place.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Nice guy, but 6 or 7 day workweeks are the norm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:50 pm

Are Judge Azrack's clerkships 12, 18, or 24 months?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:15 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:35 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Very extroverted and charming, judge’s judge (he’s a former trial lawyer and trial judge, not an ideologue), notorious workhorse, highly competent. His answers to questions for the record for the Judiciary Committee unusually show some personality and will give you a taste—he clearly wrote them himself.

https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/imo/me ... 20QFRs.pdf
At the 2014 Second Circuit Judicial Conference, you displayed a PowerPoint presentation to introduce new judges. The presentation included photo-shopped images of incoming federal judges. While each of the new male judges was depicted in suits or judicial robes, two female judges were photo-shopped so that their heads were placed on the bodies of an ice skater and an Irish dancer, respectively.

a. Why did you superimpose the images of the incoming female judges on the bodies of an ice skater and Irish dancer?

In 2014, Chief Judge Robert Katzmann asked me and another federal judge (Judge Roslynn Mauskopf from the Eastern District of New York) to serve as Toastmasters for the Second Circuit’s Annual Judicial Conference. As
Toastmasters, our chief function was to introduce – somewhat humorously – those judges who had assumed the bench in the past year. As is customary in such introductions, we received photographs, anecdotes, and stories from the judges’ colleagues, staff, friends, and families in an effort to provide a good-natured introduction that combined the judges’ professional resumes with “fun facts” involving their past lives, hobbies, and interests. Because there were 22 new judges appointed in the year before the 2014 conference, Judge Mauskopf and I divided up the newly appointed judges for purposes of the introduction. Although the slides were consolidated into a single powerpoint presentation, each of us took primary responsibility for the slides of our assigned judges, and the slides referenced in this question were not prepared by me. Nevertheless, I recall that the images described above were inspired by the fact that those judges had previously participated in the activities depicted – namely, figure skating and Irish step dancing.

Respectfully, it is inaccurate to suggest that “each of the new male judges was depicted in suits or judicial robes.” In fact, there were multiple photos of all the new judges – male and female – including baby photos, Halloween photos, and high school and college photos. One male judge was featured as a six-year old in a Batman costume; another was shown in a football uniform; one had his photo displayed along with characters from Sesame Street; one male judge had his head photo-shopped onto the body of a bike messenger;
ride-sharing judges from one district in the Circuit were depicted as circus clowns crammed into a tiny car; one female judge was introduced as “fearless” with the photo of a toreador staring down a bull; one male judge with the surname Hummell was introduced alongside a photo of a porcelain figurine; the chief judge from the “figure skating judge’s” district was photo- shopped onto a Zamboni, tasked with cleaning up after her figure-skating colleague. The powerpoint ended with a slide displaying photos of all the new judges – all in robes or business attire – under the legend “The Baby Bench” while the theme from “The Brady Bunch” played in the background. In all, the program was a tame introduction of new colleagues that seemed to
be well received by the 500 or so judges and lawyers in attendance, including Chief Judge Katzmann and Justice Ginsburg. It was of course intended to convey, among other things, that humor, humility, and the ability to laugh at oneself are important qualities in judges, and in all human beings. No reasonable reviewer of the powerpoint could believe it reflected sexism, on my part or anyone else’s.

Congress is a very serious place.
Such a stellar pantsing of Congress lol

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:02 am

Some other stuff from the QFRs that’s funny:

Can you see a penumbra?

When used as a metaphor as it was in Griswold, my understanding is that a penumbra cannot be seen.

Well if you can’t see it, how do you know it’s there?

Respectfully, I have not previously thought about this question and, although I have considered the question carefully, I don’t know how to answer it.

Also liked his statement that he has no views whatsoever on administrative law—probably thinks it’s boring like most criminal lawyers.

interesting that he must have expressed opposition to the death penalty at some point because some Republican asked him pointed questions about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:01 pm

Imo Chin’s recent work product has been really rough in some big cases, down there with Pooler

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:01 pm
Imo Chin’s recent work product has been really rough in some big cases, down there with Pooler
Can you provide some examples?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:17 am

Is OSCAR the only way to apply to 2nd Cir. judges or are people submitting applications some other way? I don't see any information on the court's website.

throwawayt14

New

Post by throwawayt14 » Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:17 am
Is OSCAR the only way to apply to 2nd Cir. judges or are people submitting applications some other way? I don't see any information on the court's website.
Our chambers would receive a large amount of mailed in packets, but if the judge has an OSCAR posting, I would use that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Paper, but OSCAR is easiest unless you’re applying off-plan. Stuffed mailed to the courthouse will find its way to chambers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:03 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Paper, but OSCAR is easiest unless you’re applying off-plan. Stuffed mailed to the courthouse will find its way to chambers.
Some of the NYC Circuit Judges also sit in SDNY/EDNY per designation and you can find them on those respective websites.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:27 am

Anyone know anything about Livingston's timeline? Received an email asking me to update my materials, so just wondering if she usually moves this late or if something else is up

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:58 pm

Anyone know why Kimba Wood (SDNY) is posting for positions so close?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:58 pm
Bumping this. I guess one could also apply to the OSCAR posting and write in the cover letter that this is actually an application for a later time? Don't know how she or her clerks would receive that though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:46 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:58 pm
Bumping this. I guess one could also apply to the OSCAR posting and write in the cover letter that this is actually an application for a later time? Don't know how she or her clerks would receive that though.
The general advice is that there's little upside to applying for a term other than the one posted unless you know the judge is open to it. But there's also little downside. The worst case scenario is that some clerk tosses your application and you can reapply later. It's not like judges are combing through hundreds of apps to make a blacklist of people who dared to apply to them incorrectly.

FWIW, there are a few SDNY/CA2 judges who post or hire surprisingly last minute for at least some of their positions—that is pretty standard for Wood as well as Sullivan. IIRC, Livingston regularly hires some clerks within 6 months of start date as well (including right now). But then you've got judges such as Rakoff and Preska hiring really far out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:46 pm

Has anyone heard anything about Beth Robinson's 2023-24 position that she posted on OSCAR a couple weeks ago? Says interviews start week of April 3, but anyone know if she has scheduled them?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:46 pm
Has anyone heard anything about Beth Robinson's 2023-24 position that she posted on OSCAR a couple weeks ago? Says interviews start week of April 3, but anyone know if she has scheduled them?
Also curious about this. Was hoping I might have a shot for this one

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:13 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sorry to break it to you if you haven't seen this, but the position is now listed as "filled" on OSCAR

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:55 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:13 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sorry to break it to you if you haven't seen this, but the position is now listed as "filled" on OSCAR
Lee is also filling if not filled up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 16, 2023 3:40 pm

Nardini has begun scheduling interviews.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 16, 2023 5:40 pm

Does anyone know if Kuntz has filled up for 2024 yet?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 20, 2023 9:11 am

Does anyone know anything about Kahn or her reputation from when she was on the CT courts? I'm interested in her background but very wary of newcomers without established reputations.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 26, 2023 6:44 pm

Data point: Morrison (EDNY) has been interviewing for 2025-26 term.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:05 pm

Anyone know if Broderick (SDNY) is still accepting applications for the 25-26 term at this point? He has an OSCAR application, but it’s for July 2025, and he seems to no longer have a live application for September. (I’m trying to figure out if it’s still possible to apply if I’m doing a 24-25 clerkship).

Anonymous User

Re: Let's talk 2nd Circuit

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:15 pm

Anyone know if Judge Chin has interviewed or hired for 2024-25?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”