Should I apply? If so, where? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Should I apply? If so, where?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:57 pm

Wondering if and where I should apply for clerkships ...

Top 10% at second tier school (think 50-75). - 10% is highest school ranks but more like top 5%.
Law Review - not published but editorial position for 3L.
1L summer internship w/ bankruptcy judge
2L SA lined up w/ V250 firm.

Do I have a chance at a federal clerkship? Would prefer District Court but am contemplating Bankruptcy as well. Any thoughts?

theaccidentalclerk

Bronze

Re: Should I apply? If so, where?

Post by theaccidentalclerk » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:07 am

As I've said before, your best guide is to look at what percent of your class got an AIII clerkship in the past 2-3 years. If you're under that, you've got an excellent shot. If you're outside of twice that, your chances are slim. You have decent-but-not-great chances up to about 1.5x that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:45 am

I have similar stats. I got interviews with district court judges and bankruptcy judges. I ultimately secured a clerkship.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:52 pm

I was top 10% w/out LR at a school ranked 80-100 and somehow managed to get a district ct. clerkship. It does happen. The toughest hurdle is getting the interviews. Work every connection you have, i.e. professors, employers, friends of family, in order to get one. Come into the interview extremely prepared and find a way to click with the judge. And because you aren't graduating from a top school, you've got to convey to the judge that you love the law and that you're someone with a strong work ethic who will out-work those with better pedigree. Finally, don't underestimate the weight the judge puts on the opinions of his current staff, and make sure that you leave a great impression with them as well. That's my .02...

DreamingInDigital

New

Post by DreamingInDigital » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wondering if and where I should apply for clerkships ...

Top 10% at second tier school (think 50-75). - 10% is highest school ranks but more like top 5%.
Law Review - not published but editorial position for 3L.
1L summer internship w/ bankruptcy judge
2L SA lined up w/ V250 firm.

Do I have a chance at a federal clerkship? Would prefer District Court but am contemplating Bankruptcy as well. Any thoughts?
Is your law school the only game in town where a reasonable number of federal judges have their chambers? If so, it is fairly common for district judges (and bankruptcty judges and magistrates) in flyover country to hire a top student from the local law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”