Let's talk 5th Circuit! Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:45 pm

Which (if any) of the 5th's conservatives are more moderate/non-ideological? You hear a lot about how the 5th is the most conservative COA in the country and how extreme Jones, Ho, etc. are, so should liberal applicants with ties to the 5th just apply to the (few) Dem appointees & focus on other circuits?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:45 pm
Which (if any) of the 5th's conservatives are more moderate/non-ideological? You hear a lot about how the 5th is the most conservative COA in the country and how extreme Jones, Ho, etc. are, so should liberal applicants with ties to the 5th just apply to the (few) Dem appointees & focus on other circuits?
Of the actives Elrod, Southwick, and Haynes don't have reputations for being particularly ideological afaik. I could see Willett going for a very well-qualified liberal as well. The rest of the active Republican appointees are all extremely conservative.

I'm not familiar with a lot of the seniors, but Higginbotham, despite being a Reagan appointee, is moderate (maybe even liberal?) and has an excellent reputation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:20 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Of the actives Elrod, Southwick, and Haynes don't have reputations for being particularly ideological afaik. I could see Willett going for a very well-qualified liberal as well. The rest of the active Republican appointees are all extremely conservative.

I'm not familiar with a lot of the seniors, but Higginbotham, despite being a Reagan appointee, is moderate (maybe even liberal?) and has an excellent reputation.
The majority of the Haynes clerks I know are liberal/moderate. I get the sense that she doesn't care about ideological purity like Ho and the other conservatives.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Elrod may not be ideological in hiring (I can't speak to that), but she's definitely ideological in her jurisprudence.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:49 pm

lavarman84 wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:38 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Elrod may not be ideological in hiring (I can't speak to that), but she's definitely ideological in her jurisprudence.
Yeah, Elrod's opinion in Texas v. US seemed in line with what Jones or any of the Trump appointees would write: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... fraud.html. (I'll admit the tone of the article is quite dramatic, but it mentions several conservative scholars who think the footnote was unnecessary and unhelpful)

At the same time, apparently Jones resigned from being Chief early in 2012 so that Elrod wouldn't become Chief 7 years later? https://www.abajournal.com/magazine/art ... troversial.

I wonder what the beef is between these two - doesn't seem like it's jurisprudence...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:05 pm

Any knowledge of what the Dem appointees are like to work for: Dennis, Stewart, Graves, Higginson? Also, what are MS/LA like to live in?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:49 pm
lavarman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah, Elrod's opinion in Texas v. US seemed in line with what Jones or any of the Trump appointees would write: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... fraud.html. (I'll admit the tone of the article is quite dramatic, but it mentions several conservative scholars who think the footnote was unnecessary and unhelpful)

At the same time, apparently Jones resigned from being Chief early in 2012 so that Elrod wouldn't become Chief 7 years later? https://www.abajournal.com/magazine/art ... troversial.

I wonder what the beef is between these two - doesn't seem like it's jurisprudence...
Jones thinks Elrod is incompetent. Frankly I don't think she's wrong about that. Jones also loves Owen, and resigning when she did made it so Owen could become chief judge (if Jones had served her full term, Owen would have been too old to become chief judge by the time Elrod's term expired).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:41 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Jones thinks Elrod is incompetent. Frankly I don't think she's wrong about that. Jones also loves Owen, and resigning when she did made it so Owen could become chief judge (if Jones had served her full term, Owen would have been too old to become chief judge by the time Elrod's term expired).
Confirming my priors that the Fifth is a basket case and Edith Jones is insane. The forthcoming article by Judge Newman and Marin Levy on chief judges quotes a bunch of anonymous judges criticizing an (unnamed) recent chief judge for doing this and I guess it must be Jones, which fits.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm curious why this is? Is there anything to justify Jones' perception?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:18 am
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm curious why this is? Is there anything to justify Jones' perception?
Well Jerry Smith, not exactly known as a moderate, just went in on Elrod and Oldham today -- https://twitter.com/RMFifthCircuit/stat ... 2429012998

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:55 pm

The majority is genuinely lawless, as is denying its new Title VII interpretation, which would be potentially massive, precedential status—at least Oldham surely must know better, but he’s trying out for SCOTUS (though I suspect this will backfire, and possibly even be disqualifying). And Smith’s dissent is extraordinarily brutal considering his ideology and the case.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:55 pm
The majority is genuinely lawless, as is denying its new Title VII interpretation, which would be potentially massive, precedential status—at least Oldham surely must know better, but he’s trying out for SCOTUS (though I suspect this will backfire, and possibly even be disqualifying). And Smith’s dissent is extraordinarily brutal considering his ideology and the case.
Lol this type of stuff might well be why Judge Costa is retiring...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:49 pm

Meh the media is full of dumdums reprinting what they want. Smith sounds like a crank.

He could have had the opinion published if that mattered to him (he had the right to insist). Instead he lets it go unpublished and rants about that fact for 10 pages. Huh?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:49 pm
Meh the media is full of dumdums reprinting what they want. Smith sounds like a crank.

He could have had the opinion published if that mattered to him (he had the right to insist). Instead he lets it go unpublished and rants about that fact for 10 pages. Huh?
Smith is right about the law and the majority. As for publishing it, why would he seek to have such a lawless decision published and made precedential? That would undermine his point, even if it might advance his goal of en banc review.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

By media dum dums are you referring to raffi melkonian (who clerked for Elrod like 10 years ago)? Or who are you talking about? And why would a judge who believes a case is wrongly decided insist on making that case precedential? Huh?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:42 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

By media dum dums are you referring to raffi melkonian (who clerked for Elrod like 10 years ago)? Or who are you talking about? And why would a judge who believes a case is wrongly decided insist on making that case precedential? Huh?
Yeah the point is that the majority would obviously publish the opinion if they were acting in good faith and believed it was correct, not that the majority *should* be precedential. Not sure that anon is a lawyer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

This is incorrect. At no point would Judge Elrod ever have become Chief Judge before Judge Owen, and in no way did Judge Jones do anything that prevents Judge Elrod from becoming Chief Judge.

If Judge Jones had served her full term, Judge Stewart's tenure would have blocked Judge Owen from becoming Chief Judge. So it would've gone from Judge Jones to Judge Stewart to Judge Elrod.

By stepping down a year early, Jboth Judge Owen and Judge Elrod will serve as Chief Judges of the Fifth Circuit. It went from Judge Jones to Judge Stewart to Judge Owen and next to Judge Elrod.

Had Judge Jones stepped down two years early, Judge Smith would have become Chief Judge, Judge Stewart never would have been Chief Judge, Judge Owen would still be the current Chief Judge, and Judge Elrod would still be the next Chief Judge.

Instead of impugning or assigning motives, maybe we just take Judge Jones at her word that she stepped aside when she did for family reasons. Because it's clear that if she were doing it to be tactical or strategic, she would have stepped down a year prior, thereby ensuring four consecutive conservative Chief Judges.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:31 pm

Just wanted to drop in and say Wilson is hired through 2025.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:54 pm

Anyone have experience on the 5th Circuit and the Texas Supreme Court? They seem very interconnected—the Chief Justice of the Texas Supreme Court and the Chief Judge of the Fifth Circuit are married. If I'm someone that would be interested on clerking on the Fifth Circuit do you think I should apply to the Fifth Circuit and the Supreme Court of Texas simultaneously?

jdoeman1234567

New

Post by jdoeman1234567 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:54 pm
Anyone have experience on the 5th Circuit and the Texas Supreme Court? They seem very interconnected—the Chief Justice of the Texas Supreme Court and the Chief Judge of the Fifth Circuit are married. If I'm someone that would be interested on clerking on the Fifth Circuit do you think I should apply to the Fifth Circuit and the Supreme Court of Texas simultaneously?
I would definitely apply to both if you want to practice in Texas. My understanding is that a Texas Supreme Court clerkship is absolutely worth doing in its own right and I believe most, if not all, biglaw firms give a clerkship bonus for a TX SC clerkship. And if your ultimate goal is the Fifth Circuit, you are a much more attractive candidate to several judges if you have the TX SC clerkship under your belt.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:32 pm

jdoeman1234567 wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:43 am
Anonymous User wrote:
I would definitely apply to both if you want to practice in Texas. My understanding is that a Texas Supreme Court clerkship is absolutely worth doing in its own right and I believe most, if not all, biglaw firms give a clerkship bonus for a TX SC clerkship. And if your ultimate goal is the Fifth Circuit, you are a much more attractive candidate to several judges if you have the TX SC clerkship under your belt.
Several of the SCOTX justices consistently send to CA5. And CA5 hires so far out that several judges consistently send clerks to SCOTX to fill a gap year. CA5 is definitely more prestigious, but some SCOTX justices hire clerks during the summer between 1L and 2L year. If you want a chance with those justices, you will likely be applying to CA5 and SCOTX simultaneously.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:32 pm
jdoeman1234567 wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:43 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Several of the SCOTX justices consistently send to CA5. And CA5 hires so far out that several judges consistently send clerks to SCOTX to fill a gap year. CA5 is definitely more prestigious, but some SCOTX justices hire clerks during the summer between 1L and 2L year. If you want a chance with those justices, you will likely be applying to CA5 and SCOTX simultaneously.
I am the person who asked the question. Am a 3L right now, trying to settle into Texas long term. Thanks for the help, going to blanket 5th Circuit and the Supreme Court of Texas once I get my application into shape. Should probably also send in a few district court apps I guess too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:50 am

Damn Willett posting for 2026—these judges keep hiring way and way ahead.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:50 am
For one spot. Otherwise he's booked until 2027.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:59 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:50 am
For one spot. Otherwise he's booked until 2027.
How/why are judges like Willett booking that far in advance? Maybe they want solid work experience but also don't want to miss out on the 1L fed soc rush?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”