Let's talk 5th Circuit! Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Let's talk 5th Circuit!

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:13 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:59 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:50 am
Damn Willett posting for 2026—these judges keep hiring way and way ahead.
For one spot. Otherwise he's booked until 2027.
How/why are judges like Willett booking that far in advance? Maybe they want solid work experience but also don't want to miss out on the 1L fed soc rush?
There are many more judges booked out this far too, not just Willett. But yeah, competition for clerks is intense. Also, a lot of judges are frankly, quite bad about telling "no" to people that they interview and end up hiring very far out in advance.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:24 pm

Judge Ho has announced he will no longer hire any students from Yale Law. Obviously just trying to get media attention for himself, but might be picked up by other judges (either explicitly or just tactily)

MergerQueen

New

Post by MergerQueen » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:24 pm
Judge Ho has announced he will no longer hire any students from Yale Law. Obviously just trying to get media attention for himself, but might be picked up by other judges (either explicitly or just tactily)
I know the premise was the dogmatic environment at YLS, but he should have at least made a carve-out for those on the Federalist Society board.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:31 pm

MergerQueen wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:26 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
I know the premise was the dogmatic environment at YLS, but he should have at least made a carve-out for those on the Federalist Society board.
This wouldn't really make sense because his goal is to punish the school, not the students. He wants to hurt their clerkship numbers and perceived prestige. Also making a carve-out for those on the Federalist Society board would—let's be honest—have literally zero change because I doubt Ho is hiring anyone not on a Fed Soc board.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:31 pm
MergerQueen wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:26 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
This wouldn't really make sense because his goal is to punish the school, not the students. He wants to hurt their clerkship numbers and perceived prestige. Also making a carve-out for those on the Federalist Society board would—let's be honest—have literally zero change because I doubt Ho is hiring anyone not on a Fed Soc board.
He stated in the speech it only applies to the incoming classes. But yes, he is trying to punish the school by getting his boycott picked up explicitly by other judges (there are already a few judges that don't hire from Yale already).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:56 pm

I’m not sure “hardcore Fed Soc judges no longer hire from Yale” is quite the loss for YLS that Ho seems to think it will be (though I fully support hiring less from Yale because there are plenty of great potential clerks who don’t go to HYS). I see this as more of a warning shot to lower ranked schools to tamp down liberal students’ protesting of Fed Soc events, which I think could be effective.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:42 pm

There are already judges across the spectrum that are less likely to hire YLS students because they perceive the curriculum to be less doctrinal

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Ho doesn’t really hire from YLS anyway so unless any other judges pick it up it’s a stunt

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:56 pm
I’m not sure “hardcore Fed Soc judges no longer hire from Yale” is quite the loss for YLS that Ho seems to think it will be (though I fully support hiring less from Yale because there are plenty of great potential clerks who don’t go to HYS). I see this as more of a warning shot to lower ranked schools to tamp down liberal students’ protesting of Fed Soc events, which I think could be effective.
Real inspiring to see clowns like Jim Ho use their positions of power in the government to chill the speech of students.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:59 am

lavarman84 wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:21 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Real inspiring to see clowns like Jim Ho use their positions of power in the government to chill the speech of students.
Love to see the faux-concern about speech suppression lol:
https://freebeacon.com/campus/hundreds- ... ech-event/

Tbc, Judge Ho's blanket ban proposal is still stupid. But the message that judges are noticing the intolerance of students and lack anything resembling spine amongst law school administrators is badly needed.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:59 am
lavarman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Tbc, Judge Ho's blanket ban proposal is still stupid. But the message that judges are noticing the intolerance of students and lack anything resembling spine amongst law school administrators is badly needed.
If you don't see the distinction between private citizens using their speech to shout down other speakers and a government official retaliating against protests in an effort to dissuade future protests he doesn't like, your law school has utterly failed you. It is disturbing that you think it is proper for federal judges to pressure law schools to crack down on student protests.

MountainMama

New

Post by MountainMama » Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I'm interested to read his announcement and see if there is anything thoughtful, but of course it was an unpublished speech at a private FedSoc event. Sensible, gotta keep the echo chamber sealed.

https://www.reuters.com/legal/governmen ... 022-09-29/
“I don't want to cancel Yale," Ho, a member of the New Orleans-based 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, said in prepared remarks reviewed by Reuters. "I want Yale to stop cancelling people like me."
Seems fair, go protest as a private citizen just like the students. What a clown.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:19 pm

MountainMama wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:20 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
I'm interested to read his announcement and see if there is anything thoughtful, but of course it was an unpublished speech at a private FedSoc event. Sensible, gotta keep the echo chamber sealed.

“I don't want to cancel Yale," Ho, a member of the New Orleans-based 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, said in prepared remarks reviewed by Reuters. "I want Yale to stop cancelling people like me."
Seems fair, go protest as a private citizen just like the students. What a clown.
David Lat more or less published his remarks:
https://davidlat.substack.com/p/a-promi ... e-declares

Said event was also open to the public as well, hence the high number of reporters there.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:27 pm

lavarman84 wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:37 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

If you don't see the distinction between private citizens using their speech to shout down other speakers and a government official retaliating against protests in an effort to dissuade future protests he doesn't like, your law school has utterly failed you. It is disturbing that you think it is proper for federal judges to pressure law schools to crack down on student protests.
What is going on at Yale/has gone on at Yale is far more than "a protest" - which no one operating with a scintilla of good faith would classify how Yale students/admins reacted to the Waggoner/Miller event as anyway. Here is an example of an actual protest, and proper response by university admins: https://twitter.com/erikabachiochi/stat ... PSGUTsz97w

There something institutionally rotten at YLS, as shown by the above tantrum thrown by students and nonresponse by administrators, the TrapHouse gate "scandal," and even the shocking allegations in the Stubbs v. Gerken lawsuit: https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... 9.58.0.pdf.

None of this would lead any rational actor to think that Yale Law admins are serving the student body well. It seems entirely appropriate for a federal judge to notify the public that the purported top law school in America, which does not have grades and whose graduates coast on reputation, is failing in its duties. A blanket ban is silly, but the general message is not.

Chokenhauer

New

Post by Chokenhauer » Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:15 am

Is it just a Yale thing to think that anyone who went to Yale/Yale itself is the center of the universe? Who cares about a bunch of whiny Yale nerds chirping at each other lmao? These articles/commentators are so self-obsessed over something so insignificant.

Also, Willett posted on OSCAR for 26-27. Does he usually only want clerks with prior clerkship experience?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:40 am

Chokenhauer wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:15 am
Is it just a Yale thing to think that anyone who went to Yale/Yale itself is the center of the universe? Who cares about a bunch of whiny Yale nerds chirping at each other lmao? These articles/commentators are so self-obsessed over something so insignificant.

Also, Willett posted on OSCAR for 26-27. Does he usually only want clerks with prior clerkship experience?
He seems to—no surprise—like prior SCOTEX clerks but that could be more backfilling as in he hires first and then sets you up with SCOTEX. In that respect then, he may be fine with no prior clerkship experience.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:27 pm
lavarman84 wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:37 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What is going on at Yale/has gone on at Yale is far more than "a protest" - which no one operating with a scintilla of good faith would classify how Yale students/admins reacted to the Waggoner/Miller event as anyway. Here is an example of an actual protest, and proper response by university admins: https://twitter.com/erikabachiochi/stat ... PSGUTsz97w

There something institutionally rotten at YLS, as shown by the above tantrum thrown by students and nonresponse by administrators, the TrapHouse gate "scandal," and even the shocking allegations in the Stubbs v. Gerken lawsuit: https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... 9.58.0.pdf.

None of this would lead any rational actor to think that Yale Law admins are serving the student body well. It seems entirely appropriate for a federal judge to notify the public that the purported top law school in America, which does not have grades and whose graduates coast on reputation, is failing in its duties. A blanket ban is silly, but the general message is not.
Because you're posting anon, I have no idea if you're the same person who posted the other quotes above. But I'm going to reject your attempt to avoid the point here and simply post this quote again: "I see this as more of a warning shot to lower ranked schools to tamp down liberal students’ protesting of Fed Soc events, which I think could be effective."

That is what you jumped in to defend. You don't get to claim this isn't about protests. And you certainly aren't the person who gets to decide what is and isn't an "actual protest."

P.S. I couldn't care less about whatever drama is currently happening at Yale.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:40 am
Chokenhauer wrote:

He seems to—no surprise—like prior SCOTEX clerks but that could be more backfilling as in he hires first and then sets you up with SCOTEX. In that respect then, he may be fine with no prior clerkship experience.
He wants his clerks to clerk elsewhere first, but is fine being the first one to hire you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:10 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Chokenhauer wrote:

He wants his clerks to clerk elsewhere first, but is fine being the first one to hire you.
This. And SCOTX is natural because it is a different appellate court in Austin, so clerks get good training and don't have to move between clerkships.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:15 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:10 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Chokenhauer wrote:

This. And SCOTX is natural because it is a different appellate court in Austin, so clerks get good training and don't have to move between clerkships.
As a vanilla top 10% T14 with no prior clerkships, do you think it is worth to try to ask a recommender to call? Obviously I'm not SCOTUS material so I don't want to have my Professor to call if I wouldn't be seriously considered anyways.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:51 pm

MountainMama wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:20 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Unpublished speech no more: http://www.trolp.org/issues

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MountainMama

New

Post by MountainMama » Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:21 pm

Alright Judge Ho, tell me about the scourge of cancellations.

It was a few weeks after Ilya Shapiro found himself in a firestorm for saying that federal judges should be selected on merit, not skin color… But on what Earth is it beyond the pale to echo the principles of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.? In what world is it unacceptable to embrace Brown v. Board of Education?…Ilya is not the only legal scholar to face campus vitriol for doing nothing more than standing up for mainstream principles.

Gosh, sounds outrageous! I wonder what Shapiro actually said?
“Objectively best pick for Biden is Sri Srinivasan, who is solid prog & v smart,” Mr. Shapiro wrote. “Even has identity politics benefit of being first Asian (Indian) American. But alas doesn’t fit into latest intersectionality hierarchy so we’ll get lesser black woman. Thank heaven for small favors?”
Hmmm. Somehow, I feel like the invocation of Dr. King and Brown rings a tad hollow.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:14 pm

Lol at Edith Jones citing Alex Berenson in the first cite of an opinion about Covid

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19nqBDF ... 3Xwec/view

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:10 pm

Every opinion Pittman writes in a major case includes cringey footnotes quoting obscure long-dead Virginia jurists about how the result doesn't reflect his politics. I don't know where he finds them. He's a good technical writer but his style is immature and try-hard.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:10 pm
Every opinion Pittman writes in a major case includes cringey footnotes quoting obscure long-dead Virginia jurists about how the result doesn't reflect his politics. I don't know where he finds them. He's a good technical writer but his style is immature and try-hard.
Fed Soc writing style is cringe

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”