Let's talk 6th Circuit! Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Let's talk 6th Circuit!

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:01 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:58 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:19 pm
Any thoughts on Trump district court appointees? I can't find much on most of them since they're so new.
Cole and Beaton are well-regarded in conservative circles. Are you looking at any particular district?
I'm looking at judges in NDOH/SDOH/and Michigan, mostly. Calabrese, Barker, Morrison, etc.
I gave my take (based on limited info) a few posts up. Not sure about Barker. Morrison has always been quite nice in public, FWIW. Calabrese is another thoughtful judge with a good reputation, even outside of conservative circles. You’ll find that a lot of the Trump appointees in Ohio are generally close with one another.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:12 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Any thoughts on Trump district court appointees? I can't find much on most of them since they're so new.
Cole and Beaton are well-regarded in conservative circles. Are you looking at any particular district?
I'm looking at judges in NDOH/SDOH/and Michigan, mostly. Calabrese, Barker, Morrison, etc.
I gave my take (based on limited info) a few posts up. Not sure about Barker. Morrison has always been quite nice in public, FWIW. Calabrese is another thoughtful judge with a good reputation, even outside of conservative circles. You’ll find that a lot of the Trump appointees in Ohio are generally close with one another.
Thank you!

May I ask how I can learn more about particular judges? I know I can research their opinions and Senate questionnaires, but especially for new judges, what’s the best way of finding out more about their personality, chambers culture, etc.? I don’t think of my school’s alumni have clerked for them since they’re such new appointees

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:37 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:12 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Thank you!

May I ask how I can learn more about particular judges? I know I can research their opinions and Senate questionnaires, but especially for new judges, what’s the best way of finding out more about their personality, chambers culture, etc.? I don’t think of my school’s alumni have clerked for them since they’re such new appointees
Really the only way is asking around the courthouse. Clerks usually talk to each other and have a good sense of who in the building is a good boss. Lawyers will also have a good sense of how judges are perceived by the bar, but often a judge's public reputation doesn't predict how good they are to work for.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 02, 2023 10:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:16 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:07 pm
Anyone here know anything good or bad about Chief Judge Sheryl Lipman (W.D. Tenn.)?
Lipman is great, and she builds good relationships with her clerks! Most of the judges in that courthouse are fantastic, particularly Lipman, Parker, Fowlkes, and Mays. Fowlkes recently took senior status, so I do not know if his caseload has changed; but, if he's anything like the other senior judges (like McCalla and Mays), he will maintain a pretty busy docket.
Lipman is fantastic- very smart and really thinks things through. I agree with the other poster re Lipman, Parker, Fowlkes and Mays. I think Norris and McCalla are good if you are more traditionally conservative. Mays is very credential heavy (almost exclusively takes HYS/UVA/Duke). Lipman, Parker, Fowlkes are much less so and will often just take Memphis folks that're top of the class (Parker tends to take from other Southern state schools too).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 18, 2023 3:55 pm

Anyone have any insight into Larsen's hiring practices or reputation as a judge? From Ann Arbor and would be dope to return but not clear to me if she hires ideologically

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 18, 2023 4:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 3:55 pm
Anyone have any insight into Larsen's hiring practices or reputation as a judge? From Ann Arbor and would be dope to return but not clear to me if she hires ideologically
I’ve heard she’s unpleasant to work for.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 18, 2023 5:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 4:42 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
I was around two sets of Larsen clerks and never got this impression at all. Maybe she has softened on this, but historically she has not shared bench memos which does create more work for law clerks. She also is a bit of perfectionist as well which could be good or bad. I’m pretty sure she screens for ideology— lots of her clerks were federal soc/libertarian types

In my brief interactions with her, she was always very engaging and down to earth. Her career clerk and JA/clerk are also nice people which goes a long way in setting the tone of chambers.

I’d rather work for her than any of the other Trump appointees — not close

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 18, 2023 8:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 5:39 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I was around two sets of Larsen clerks and never got this impression at all. Maybe she has softened on this, but historically she has not shared bench memos which does create more work for law clerks. She also is a bit of perfectionist as well which could be good or bad. I’m pretty sure she screens for ideology— lots of her clerks were federal soc/libertarian types

In my brief interactions with her, she was always very engaging and down to earth. Her career clerk and JA/clerk are also nice people which goes a long way in setting the tone of chambers.

Not sure why Thapar belongs not close to Larsen in this analysis. One of the most competitive clerkships in the country and I've never heard a negative word about him as a boss.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 18, 2023 8:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I agree with the other response that I have heard the opposite, i.e. that she is good to work for. I also second that I don’t think she really hires liberals. If she has a geographic preference, it might not be for Ann Arbor—she’s not from Michigan (though that’s just speculation).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 18, 2023 9:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 8:22 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I agree with the other response that I have heard the opposite, i.e. that she is good to work for. I also second that I don’t think she really hires liberals. If she has a geographic preference, it might not be for Ann Arbor—she’s not from Michigan (though that’s just speculation).
I've heard some things about her that make me skeptical that she'd hire a liberal.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 18, 2023 10:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 9:18 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I've heard some things about her that make me skeptical that she'd hire a liberal.

Such as?

Goldie

Bronze

Post by Goldie » Fri May 19, 2023 9:32 am

I'm not sure how helpful this is, but my understanding is that Judge Larsen has a hard rule of not hiring more than one student from the same school in any given clerkship class. As a judge, she's very thorough and write very good opinions, and is one of the better judges on the circuit from that perspective. Not sure how she is as a boss.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 19, 2023 10:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 10:57 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 9:18 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Such as?
Some things I heard about how she was talking about liberals at a panel dinner with another Republican appointee. I wasn't there, so it's secondhand information.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 19, 2023 3:10 pm

Goldie wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 9:32 am
I'm not sure how helpful this is, but my understanding is that Judge Larsen has a hard rule of not hiring more than one student from the same school in any given clerkship class. As a judge, she's very thorough and write very good opinions, and is one of the better judges on the circuit from that perspective. Not sure how she is as a boss.
This is definitely not a super hard rule because there have been multiple years where she took more than one clerk from my school for the same clerkship class

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 24, 2023 8:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 8:08 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Not sure why Thapar belongs not close to Larsen in this analysis. One of the most competitive clerkships in the country and I've never heard a negative word about him as a boss.
Thapar clerks work very hard. But he's an amazing boss and he feeds more clerks to the Court than pretty much anyone else these days. So depends how you weigh things.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 25, 2023 10:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 8:00 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thapar clerks work very hard. But he's an amazing boss and he feeds more clerks to the Court than pretty much anyone else these days. So depends how you weigh things.
Thapar clerks regularly work 60-80 hour weeks so it’s certainly a trade off. 100% worth it if he’s the connection that gets you to the Supreme Court. But if you’re not that person, it is a very grueling clerkship.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 25, 2023 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 10:44 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 8:00 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thapar clerks regularly work 60-80 hour weeks so it’s certainly a trade off. 100% worth it if he’s the connection that gets you to the Supreme Court. But if you’re not that person, it is a very grueling clerkship.
It also seems like we're at the point where being in the Thapar network is a career-long benefit enough it's probably worth it even if you don't clerk for SCOTUS...assuming Thapar is a good and humane boss, which I've never heard not to be the case. Even if you knew going in that you were not going to get SCOTUS, I think most people would consider a year of 60-80 hour work weeks to be worth it over a year of 40-50 hour work weeks if the career launching pad is that much greater.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:22 pm

Has Bloomekatz hired? I assume so for now/immediate start, but curious about 2024-25.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:22 pm
Has Bloomekatz hired? I assume so for now/immediate start, but curious about 2024-25.
Per HLS clerkship office, she made at least one tentative 2024 offer last month during on-plan hiring.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:21 pm

Gibbons maybe retiring? This is the only post I found on it, can anyone corroborate?

https://twitter.com/fedjudges/status/16 ... IFpGaoShig

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:21 pm
Gibbons maybe retiring? This is the only post I found on it, can anyone corroborate?

Seems like it's real: https://www.reuters.com/legal/governmen ... 023-08-18/

Didn't think Gibbons would go senior under a Dem given her long history in Republican politics, but no complaints. On a similar note, why hasn't Stranch gone senior yet?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:05 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Didn't think Gibbons would go senior under a Dem given her long history in Republican politics, but no complaints. On a similar note, why hasn't Stranch gone senior yet?
Article isn't clear. Is she retiring completely or just going into senior status but keeping a full caseload. Last I heard she had hired into 2023 and 2024 so I assume it is the latter, but just want to double check.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Gibbons has had some health issues in recent years, so I wonder if she has reached a point where she has to go senior to get the reduced workload.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:07 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Gibbons has had some health issues in recent years, so I wonder if she has reached a point where she has to go senior to get the reduced workload.
She's pretty much recovered from those, I think she just went senior as she wants a Dem replacement given her shift left over the years.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:37 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:07 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

She's pretty much recovered from those, I think she just went senior as she wants a Dem replacement given her shift left over the years.
The Reuters article also says that she’s going senior upon confirmation of a successor rather than immediately/on a set date, which seems to suggest it’s not health related. I’m her future clerks will be ok if that’s the case.

Other than Gibbons, are any of the CA6 Republicans moderate/not extremely ideological?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”