Let's talk 6th Circuit! Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Let's talk 6th Circuit!

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:14 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:19 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:30 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:42 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:37 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:56 pm
Anyone know which conservatives on the 6th circuit are the least grade sensitive and more ideological?
In connection with the other post, I hear that Batchelder is the most ideological. For some reason I thought Readler occasionally hired liberals.
I think all the new Trump appointees at least occasionally hire liberals (maybe not Thapar anymore, but he certainly used to), or at least hire people who are not particularly or obviously conservative. But Readler has a pretty strong preference for ideologically aligned clerks, and that preference seemingly extended to even his career clerk/judicial assistant.
Thapar still hires liberals, but he's only looking to hire folks he can reliably feed. There are only so many liberal applicants a year with the grades for a liberal feeder who would nevertheless prefer to work for him.
Thapar would be a nice play for a liberal targeting the Chief, but if you have the grades for the Chief, you also have the grades for any liberal feeder you want.
Is CJR that credential sensitive? His last few classes have included Faye/Summa grads but since hires from YLS a good bit, feels impossible to tell how credentialed they are
Yes, they tend to be very credentialed. Law review, Supreme Court Clinic, Ivy undergrad, Oxbridge masters program types with feeder clerkships. The gold stars from Yale are identifiable but they're not as legible as grades.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:06 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anyone know which conservatives on the 6th circuit are the least grade sensitive and more ideological?
In connection with the other post, I hear that Batchelder is the most ideological. For some reason I thought Readler occasionally hired liberals.
I think all the new Trump appointees at least occasionally hire liberals (maybe not Thapar anymore, but he certainly used to), or at least hire people who are not particularly or obviously conservative. But Readler has a pretty strong preference for ideologically aligned clerks, and that preference seemingly extended to even his career clerk/judicial assistant.
Thapar still hires liberals, but he's only looking to hire folks he can reliably feed. There are only so many liberal applicants a year with the grades for a liberal feeder who would nevertheless prefer to work for him.
Thapar would be a nice play for a liberal targeting the Chief, but if you have the grades for the Chief, you also have the grades for any liberal feeder you want.
Is CJR that credential sensitive? His last few classes have included Faye/Summa grads but since hires from YLS a good bit, feels impossible to tell how credentialed they are
Yes, they tend to be very credentialed. Law review, Supreme Court Clinic, Ivy undergrad, Oxbridge masters program types with feeder clerkships. The gold stars from Yale are identifiable but they're not as legible as grades.
Out of morbid curiosity, what are the gold stars at YLS? I know Coker is big but have heard YLJ is not super competitive/considers a lot of non-write on based credentials.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:30 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Out of morbid curiosity, what are the gold stars at YLS? I know Coker is big but have heard YLJ is not super competitive/considers a lot of non-write on based credentials.
Not from Yale, but my understanding is certain RA jobs are like given to people who get the top exam in the class or something and can signal academic prowess. I don't think YLJ is that much of a gold-star anymore now that they sort of fudged the write-on process like other law schools. Still better than no YLJ I think though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:01 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Not from Yale, but my understanding is certain RA jobs are like given to people who get the top exam in the class or something and can signal academic prowess. I don't think YLJ is that much of a gold-star anymore now that they sort of fudged the write-on process like other law schools. Still better than no YLJ I think though.
The Coker has become massively overrated, especially as the position is now essentially a glorified party-planner/cruise director role, but Cokers should still expect a significant amount of support from their respective professors. Agree that YLJ itself is not much of a gold star, but the top positions, like EIC, MEs, and EEs, probably are. RA hiring practices vary wildly, but RA positions with the big names, like Gerken, Amar, Eskridge, et al., are also markers of distinction. Publications and paper prizes can also be important. Some professors, like Parrillo, will also unofficially rank order exams and write recommendations to that effect. More generally, Hs in classes known to enforce a strict curve are also valuable. Academic pedigree, whether top undergrad or Oxbridge masters, also seems to matter at YLS in a way it doesn't elsewhere, in part because some professors (ahem, Amar) may be more willing to work with students with elite backgrounds. Students who have thrived in those elite institutions also seem to be preternaturally gifted at pleasing their elders, which (pace Gerken) is the real coin of the realm at YLS.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Agreed, especially for a liberal with midwestern roots. He also opens up Gorsuch for for more anti-establishment/libertarian ones. I'm not sure if he makes sense for hardcore progressives. He's fed to Sotomayor in the past, but that was a while ago.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:19 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:01 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

The Coker has become massively overrated, especially as the position is now essentially a glorified party-planner/cruise director role, but Cokers should still expect a significant amount of support from their respective professors. Agree that YLJ itself is not much of a gold star, but the top positions, like EIC, MEs, and EEs, probably are. RA hiring practices vary wildly, but RA positions with the big names, like Gerken, Amar, Eskridge, et al., are also markers of distinction. Publications and paper prizes can also be important. Some professors, like Parrillo, will also unofficially rank order exams and write recommendations to that effect. More generally, Hs in classes known to enforce a strict curve are also valuable. Academic pedigree, whether top undergrad or Oxbridge masters, also seems to matter at YLS in a way it doesn't elsewhere, in part because some professors (ahem, Amar) may be more willing to work with students with elite backgrounds. Students who have thrived in those elite institutions also seem to be preternaturally gifted at pleasing their elders, which (pace Gerken) is the real coin of the realm at YLS.
The Oxbridge MA thing is weird bc it isn’t actually much of a mark of academic distinction, unless you’re doing it on scholarship the programs are sort of cash cows. But there really are a ton of them at YLS, far moreso than at HSC. The YLS faculty seems to value them in admissions due to the reflected glory of the Rhodes and Marshall in a way that they wouldn’t value useless terminal MAs at American schools.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:54 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Agreed, especially for a liberal with midwestern roots. He also opens up Gorsuch for for more anti-establishment/libertarian ones. I'm not sure if he makes sense for hardcore progressives. He's fed to Sotomayor in the past, but that was a while ago.
Thapar pulls the trigger so early, and so based on conservative legal movement connections, that he’s unlikely to see a ton of top liberal applicants, most of whom wait until 2L to go on the market in a serious way. Agree that he would make some sense for the sort of moderate liberal Midwesterner who’s also targeting Stras, Kethledge, Sutton, etc. though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:30 pm

Does anyone know if Thapar is full for 2024? Also, is calling chambers before applying an acceptable way to confirm whether slots are available?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:30 pm
Does anyone know if Thapar is full for 2024? Also, is calling chambers before applying an acceptable way to confirm whether slots are available?
No inside knowledge but I would be shocked if he isn’t full. He has a reputation for hiring very early.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:46 pm

Anyone have insight in district judges in Ohio? I imagine the Biden nominees are too recent to really tell, but in NDOH, any insight on Gaughan, Lioi, Helmick, Knepp, or Calabrese? For SDOH, on Newman, Morrison, Marbley, or Watson?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:51 pm

Anyone have perspective on how credential sensitive Kethledge tends to be? Parsed the former clerks from my school and they all over the map - plenty not on HLR and has taken people with each "tier" of latin honor.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:51 pm
Anyone have perspective on how credential sensitive Kethledge tends to be? Parsed the former clerks from my school and they all over the map - plenty not on HLR and has taken people with each "tier" of latin honor.
Intel I got from a former clerk + a professor that knows him personally is that he cares about grades, but is willing to bend on an applicant not having tippy-top grades if that person has other markers of quality. And that intel applies to applicants from my back-half T14, so I imagine it applies likewise to HYS.

Does anyone know when his next opening is?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:46 pm
Anyone have insight in district judges in Ohio? I imagine the Biden nominees are too recent to really tell, but in NDOH, any insight on Gaughan, Lioi, Helmick, Knepp, or Calabrese? For SDOH, on Newman, Morrison, Marbley, or Watson?
Knepp essentially requires Toledo ties for most clerks. Most have a strong desire to remain in Toledo after clerking. The few clerks of Helmick’s that I know came from Michigan. Calabrese likes Ohio ties, and he is also Fed Soc connected. From the little that I know of him, I think he places a strong emphasis on credentials.

Newman is interesting. He almost always hires off of recommendations, and he is very well-connected. Marbley hires T14, diverse clerks. Morrison has hired from Capital (her alma mater) and seems to prioritize some connection to Southern Ohio. No idea if she hires anyone outside of the local schools. I have no intel on Watson.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:39 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Intel I got from a former clerk + a professor that knows him personally is that he cares about grades, but is willing to bend on an applicant not having tippy-top grades if that person has other markers of quality. And that intel applies to applicants from my back-half T14, so I imagine it applies likewise to HYS.

I believe he saves openings for on-plan applicants so presumably 2024 but no hard info on that one

Any chance you have perspective on what grades your prof was referring to as tippy top? It seems like the HLS applicants are a total clusterfuck - you've got a couple with no honors + no HLR + no Ames but also pople with HLR + Magna.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:15 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I believe he saves openings for on-plan applicants so presumably 2024 but no hard info on that one

Any chance you have perspective on what grades your prof was referring to as tippy top? It seems like the HLS applicants are a total clusterfuck - you've got a couple with no honors + no HLR + no Ames but also pople with HLR + Magna.
HLR people who didn't even get cum laude (isn't that like basically top half of the class at this point or maybe like 40%) could be people who did well 1L and then fell off at the end. Such is the nature of the risk of hiring people when they're 1Ls.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:21 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

HLR people who didn't even get cum laude (isn't that like basically top half of the class at this point or maybe like 40%) could be people who did well 1L and then fell off at the end. Such is the nature of the risk of hiring people when they're 1Ls.
Yeah it's basically top half, but AFAIK, Kethledge hires on plan so applicants would have a 4 semesters of grades at that point

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
He hired someone from my section at HLS who did not graduate magna and was not on HLR, for what it's worth.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Person you're replying to — I believe one former clerk was top third-ish no LR. A friend of mine who will clerk for him in a future term is top 5% (with LR managing board position). So a wide spread here too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:27 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
He hired someone from my section at HLS who did not graduate magna and was not on HLR, for what it's worth.
I think it's fair to say that a significant number of judges, particularly some conservatives, place very little (if any) emphasis on LR these days.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:37 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:46 pm
Knepp essentially requires Toledo ties for most clerks. Most have a strong desire to remain in Toledo after clerking. The few clerks of Helmick’s that I know came from Michigan. Calabrese likes Ohio ties, and he is also Fed Soc connected. From the little that I know of him, I think he places a strong emphasis on credentials.

Newman is interesting. He almost always hires off of recommendations, and he is very well-connected. Marbley hires T14, diverse clerks. Morrison has hired from Capital (her alma mater) and seems to prioritize some connection to Southern Ohio. No idea if she hires anyone outside of the local schools. I have no intel on Watson.
Very helpful, thanks. Also meant to ask about Sargus, if you (or anyone) has any thoughts.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:07 pm

Anyone here know anything good or bad about Chief Judge Sheryl Lipman (W.D. Tenn.)?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:19 pm

Any thoughts on Trump district court appointees? I can't find much on most of them since they're so new.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:19 pm
Any thoughts on Trump district court appointees? I can't find much on most of them since they're so new.
Cole and Beaton are well-regarded in conservative circles. Are you looking at any particular district?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:58 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:19 pm
Cole and Beaton are well-regarded in conservative circles. Are you looking at any particular district?
I'm looking at judges in NDOH/SDOH/and Michigan, mostly. Calabrese, Barker, Morrison, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:07 pm
Anyone here know anything good or bad about Chief Judge Sheryl Lipman (W.D. Tenn.)?
Lipman is great, and she builds good relationships with her clerks! Most of the judges in that courthouse are fantastic, particularly Lipman, Parker, Fowlkes, and Mays. Fowlkes recently took senior status, so I do not know if his caseload has changed; but, if he's anything like the other senior judges (like McCalla and Mays), he will maintain a pretty busy docket.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”