Let's talk 6th Circuit! Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Let's talk 6th Circuit!

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:34 pm
Has anyone heard anything about Sutton interviewing or hiring?
He was interviewing in July, according to the earlier posts in the thread.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:11 am
Anonymous User wrote:
My understanding is that he's full for 2023 and that he has made at least one 2024 hire.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:02 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:31 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:13 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:28 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:14 pm
This court has had a lot of new appointees in recent years. Can anybody provide a good summary of who is the best/most enjoyable to work for - not just for the new appointees, but for all of the active/senior judges? Also, are there any judges who have particularly good employment outcomes for their clerks?
You can pretty much group Sutton, Kethledge, and Thapar together for "best employment outcomes." Of the three, I think Kethledge is probably the most enjoyable to work for, but I haven't heard bad things about any of the three.

As for the rest/who's the best to work for, I would say that Stranch, Larsen, Griffin, and Readler would be higher on my list while Clay, Donald, White and Murphy would be towards the bottom.
Any empirical/anecdotal evidence to support any of this, or is it just an assumption? How are these "tiers" being determined exactly?
I'm previous anon -- this is based on my experience clerking on the court and talking with law clerks in those chambers. And again, I was talking solely about how enjoyable the clerkship would be -- not purporting to rank employment outcomes of say, a Stranch clerk vs a Donald clerk.

Here's a little more of my thinking on why I'd be less interested in clerking for some particular CA6 judges.

White -- works really strange hours, notoriously slow getting decisions out the door
Murphy -- doesn't share (which means some other judges don't share with him), still finding his footing on the court, seems to work clerks fairly hard; not super personable
Donald -- pretty unorganized, could do more to manage chambers and provide structure to clerks -- she's also made some questionable hiring decisions and had a few notoriously bad clerks that have become circuit "lore" -- absolute gem of a person though
Clay -- he's rock bottom. Once fired an entire class of clerks mid-year.
Adding my knowledge: Clay has a bad rep on TLS but I'm friends with a number of recent clerks who totally disagree with this negative reputation and loved their experience.
Light necro but I’ve heard that he’s cleaned up his act a bit recently. However, his reputation still persists. At this point, I doubt anyone is going to be able to figure out the details behind the infamous mid-year firing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:49 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
This court has had a lot of new appointees in recent years. Can anybody provide a good summary of who is the best/most enjoyable to work for - not just for the new appointees, but for all of the active/senior judges? Also, are there any judges who have particularly good employment outcomes for their clerks?
You can pretty much group Sutton, Kethledge, and Thapar together for "best employment outcomes." Of the three, I think Kethledge is probably the most enjoyable to work for, but I haven't heard bad things about any of the three.

As for the rest/who's the best to work for, I would say that Stranch, Larsen, Griffin, and Readler would be higher on my list while Clay, Donald, White and Murphy would be towards the bottom.
Any empirical/anecdotal evidence to support any of this, or is it just an assumption? How are these "tiers" being determined exactly?
I'm previous anon -- this is based on my experience clerking on the court and talking with law clerks in those chambers. And again, I was talking solely about how enjoyable the clerkship would be -- not purporting to rank employment outcomes of say, a Stranch clerk vs a Donald clerk.

Here's a little more of my thinking on why I'd be less interested in clerking for some particular CA6 judges.

White -- works really strange hours, notoriously slow getting decisions out the door
Murphy -- doesn't share (which means some other judges don't share with him), still finding his footing on the court, seems to work clerks fairly hard; not super personable
Donald -- pretty unorganized, could do more to manage chambers and provide structure to clerks -- she's also made some questionable hiring decisions and had a few notoriously bad clerks that have become circuit "lore" -- absolute gem of a person though
Adding my knowledge: Clay has a bad rep on TLS but I'm friends with a number of recent clerks who totally disagree with this negative reputation and loved their experience.
Light necro but I’ve heard that he’s cleaned up his act a bit recently. However, his reputation still persists. At this point, I doubt anyone is going to be able to figure out the details behind the infamous mid-year firing.
I heard the opposite actually from a friend who is/was a recent clerk and that he hasn't been great to work for during COVID -- for example, he required clerks to come into the office since the beginning of the pandemic (no WFH), amongst other things.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:15 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I heard the opposite actually from a friend who is/was a recent clerk and that he hasn't been great to work for during COVID -- for example, he required clerks to come into the office since the beginning of the pandemic (no WFH), amongst other things.
Sutton also didn't ever do WFH.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:29 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Not true. The Sutton clerks were back in the office before some other clerks on the circuit and elsewhere, but they had a WFH stretch.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:51 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:11 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:05 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:10 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:10 am
Does anyone have any thoughts about Helene White? Looks like she just opened a 2021 spot thats starts next week.
Be prepared to work some strange hours. She's otherwise a good boss and a very thoughtful judge from everything I've seen. Very slow with work product. Technically a GWB appointee (via a compromise package with two conservatives), she is pretty staunch liberal judge. Her recent dissent in the bump-stock 2A case was worth reading.
I concur with this. Her chambers is very, very slow. But she seems like a nice, thoughtful person. Outside of the slowness, it wasn't difficult working with her chambers. And yes, she's a liberal judge. But she had a good relationship with my conservative boss. Seemed to be collegial.
Does anyone know if she has already started interviewing?/If she has any preferences in candidates?
I was intrigued by this discussion about Judge White looking to fill a spot so close to the start date, so I looked at the OSCAR posting, and it seems like maybe her career clerk is leaving. In that case, I think she'd be looking for someone with prior clerkship and law firm experience, and probably not someone newly out of law school or even 1-2 years out. No harm in putting your hat in the ring if you're looking for a normal term clerkship, but I'm not sure that's what she's posting.
Should be noted White used to have a writing assignment as part of her interview process, no idea if she still does this though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:11 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Not true. The Sutton clerks were back in the office before some other clerks on the circuit and elsewhere, but they had a WFH stretch.
We might be talking about different clerkship terms then. The clerk I know never was working from home.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

+1 Have heard the same from numerous current and recent clerks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:21 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:11 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

We might be talking about different clerkship terms then. The clerk I know never was working from home.
I don't doubt that clerks in the 2020-2021 term didn't have work from home. Clerks in the 2019-2020 term did for a bit (or at least had the option to, whether they took him up on it or not).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Hi! Anon from before: just curious how you knew he had already made one 2024 hire. Thanks so much!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:50 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Hi! Anon from before: just curious how you knew he had already made one 2024 hire. Thanks so much!
Not the previous anon but I know he has because our school has an internal spreadsheet/database.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:24 pm

Any updates on if any senior judges have hired for 2023?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:54 pm

Any info on Gilman for 23? His OSCAR post said interviews would be in January - other posts suggests that he'd be great to clerk for, but any insight on what the interviews would be like?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:01 pm

any info on MDTN judges? particularly new judges Campbell and Richardson?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:16 pm

Anyone know about Judge Stranch's hiring process?

I saw that she just posted for 2023-2024 and wants applicants to describe their ties to Tennessee or the Sixth Circuit. Does she only hire people with ties to Tennessee (just from Google, it looks like she hires a lot from Vanderbilt), or are ties to like Michigan or Ohio enough?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:24 pm

Looks like Merritt passed away recently: https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/p ... 175167002/.

I know Merritt hadn't hired clerks for a while now, but it still raises an interesting question. Do we know what happens to a judge's future/incoming clerks on the Sixth Circuit if the judge passes away? I've heard the clerks that term are sometimes picked up by other judges depending on the court/circuit, but unclear if that applies for future clerks as well or if they're SOL.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:24 pm
Looks like Merritt passed away recently: https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/p ... 175167002/.

I know Merritt hadn't hired clerks for a while now, but it still raises an interesting question. Do we know what happens to a judge's future/incoming clerks on the Sixth Circuit if the judge passes away? I've heard the clerks that term are sometimes picked up by other judges depending on the court/circuit, but unclear if that applies for future clerks as well or if they're SOL.
After Judge Martinez on the WD TX passed away unexpectedly, his two law clerks stayed on for the rest of their terms and continued working on their assigned cases but under the judges that were newly assigned to the cases. No idea what happened to future clerks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:53 pm

Has Gibbons moved for 2023?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:53 am

Anyone know if clerking for Judge Oliver on N.D. Ohio is a positive experience?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:01 pm
any info on MDTN judges? particularly new judges Campbell and Richardson?
Judge Crenshaw is an absolute gem of a human being. Smart, nice, and very dedicated to making his clerks feel at home. Richardson seems personable and smart as well, tho I have less inside info on him.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

clerky123

New

Post by clerky123 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:33 pm

Does anyone have insight into which 6th Cir. Judges generally hire off-plan and if so, when/how to apply? Same for KY DC judges. Looking primarily within a 2 hour radius of Louisville for the 2023 term. Thank you!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:33 pm

Any insight as to Judge Stranch's hiring timeline? She reached out to one of my references (district judge) a few weeks ago, am I'm wondering if I should be reading much into the interim silence.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:28 pm

Not to get your hopes up, but she has not reached out to my D.Ct. Judge and I was hoping to get a bite.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:09 pm

clerky123 wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:33 pm
Does anyone have insight into which 6th Cir. Judges generally hire off-plan and if so, when/how to apply? Same for KY DC judges. Looking primarily within a 2 hour radius of Louisville for the 2023 term. Thank you!
Most EDKY judges hire off plan (though not all). The ones who hire off plan accept paper applications but a quick call to chambers will confirm how to apply. I think typically Vantatenhove hires earliest, but some other judges occasionally will hire in March as well. The only judge I can think of in EDKY that hires on plan is Wier (and maybe Reeves? Not sure on that). All the judges in the district seem to have a lot of loyalty from their clerks so it’s a good place to work. I’ve heard great things about Caldwell, Bunning, and Wier. If you want EDKY, I’d really recommend sending applications right now because I know some of the judges have begun hiring for 2023.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”