Let's talk 6th Circuit! Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Let's talk 6th Circuit!

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:15 pm

New anon. I think at the end of the day, it's nearly impossible to predict who is going to become a semi-feeder and who's not. At the Sixth Circuit, there's clearly the big three (Thapar, Sutton, Kethledge), closely followed by Larsen. Then you have four very promising young Trump appointees, who each have a lot going for them in different ways. Any one (or more) of them can emerge as a semi-feeder, and none of them might. It's just too early to tell.

I'm aware that the three non-Murphy judges each have at least a couple clerks headed to feeder clerkships in the recent past or future. It also sounds like Murphy's got someone great in the pipeline as well. It's just too early to tell at this point how that is all going to play out in the long term. Just as one example- People underestimate Bush because he's a bit quirky, but he's close pals with Judge Walker. He's fed a few to Walker. If Walker emerges as a big feeder (big if, but not impossible), then Bush can move up too. Readler and Nalbandian both have some things in play in their favor too. Maybe Murphy will be the one to become a semi-feeder out of this bunch or not, but at this point it's premature to draw that conclusion.

I definitely agree with whoever said the Sixth Circuit is packed with conservative talent. It's pretty impressive actually. I'd argue that the Sixth Circuit has more feeder potential than the Fifth and Eleventh long-term. It's become an epicenter for the conservative legal movement.

Murphy's a great guy by the way. A tad shy and bookish, but obviously very smart. His clerks work harder than most, but they all seem to love him and the clerkship.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:15 pm
New anon. I think at the end of the day, it's nearly impossible to predict who is going to become a semi-feeder and who's not. At the Sixth Circuit, there's clearly the big three (Thapar, Sutton, Kethledge), closely followed by Larsen. Then you have four very promising young Trump appointees, who each have a lot going for them in different ways. Any one (or more) of them can emerge as a semi-feeder, and none of them might. It's just too early to tell.

I'm aware that the three non-Murphy judges each have at least a couple clerks headed to feeder clerkships in the recent past or future. It also sounds like Murphy's got someone great in the pipeline as well. It's just too early to tell at this point how that is all going to play out in the long term. Just as one example- People underestimate Bush because he's a bit quirky, but he's close pals with Judge Walker. He's fed a few to Walker. If Walker emerges as a big feeder (big if, but not impossible), then Bush can move up too. Readler and Nalbandian both have some things in play in their favor too. Maybe Murphy will be the one to become a semi-feeder out of this bunch or not, but at this point it's premature to draw that conclusion.

I definitely agree with whoever said the Sixth Circuit is packed with conservative talent. It's pretty impressive actually. I'd argue that the Sixth Circuit has more feeder potential than the Fifth and Eleventh long-term. It's become an epicenter for the conservative legal movement.

Murphy's a great guy by the way. A tad shy and bookish, but obviously very smart. His clerks work harder than most, but they all seem to love him and the clerkship.
I wouldn't say Larsen is necessarily close to the big 3. Of her 3 feeds, 2 were with Sutton and they were hired when she was on the Michigan Supreme Court. I've heard she's a great boss though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:44 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

I wouldn't say Larsen is necessarily close to the big 3. Of her 3 feeds, 2 were with Sutton and they were hired when she was on the Michigan Supreme Court. I've heard she's a great boss though.
Same anon. Oh didn't realize that-that's interesting. She does seem to be drawing in talent commensurate with her semi-feeder rep though. Yea I agree, would put her in the works-clerks-hard but clerks-love-her & great mentorship bucket. Most of the Trump judges on the Sixth are great bosses beloved by their clerks as far as I can tell.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:33 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:40 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:57 am
What's the power ranking of the liberal judges in terms of desirability?
My subjective and probably flawed list:

1. Moore. The liberal lioness. Ruthless in her interactions with the conservatives, but that could be a plus if you're a liberal. Guessing she's a stern but good boss.

2. Cole. A class act, both to other judges and clerks. A little bit closer to the center, ideologically.

3. White. Well-respected by both sides. Super smart. But works long and strange hours. Republican nominee but liberal in outlook.

4. Stranch. Extremely friendly. Has that southern charm. Closer to the left end of the spectrum, doesn't have the intellectual heft of a Moore but seems like a great boss.

5. Donald. Lovely person, sings for other judges at gatherings. But travels a lot and isn't always plugged in, so clerks may not get as much supervision or mentorship as they would like.

6. Clay. Lol.
Any thoughts on Davis? Sounds like she had a good rep as a district court judge.
Also curious about thoughts on Davis - did she move her chambers to Detroit upon being confirmed to the Sixth? I know she was a district judge in Flint, but OSCAR is showing Detroit so I'm curious if that's accurate.

Anyone know what the holdup is with Mathis? The Democrats are taking forever with his confirmation process, especially compared to Davis (or even Biden's more controversial/clearly progressive nominees) - I get that the Tennessee Senators did not return blue slips for him, but Durbin seemed clear about not bringing that back. Mathis' background seems pretty centrist/traditional and he even got Kennedy's vote in the SJC vote, so it's not like they need to discharge him.

Chokenhauer

New

Post by Chokenhauer » Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:39 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

1. Moore. The liberal lioness. Ruthless in her interactions with the conservatives, but that could be a plus if you're a liberal. Guessing she's a stern but good boss.

2. Cole. A class act, both to other judges and clerks. A little bit closer to the center, ideologically.

3. White. Well-respected by both sides. Super smart. But works long and strange hours. Republican nominee but liberal in outlook.

4. Stranch. Extremely friendly. Has that southern charm. Closer to the left end of the spectrum, doesn't have the intellectual heft of a Moore but seems like a great boss.

5. Donald. Lovely person, sings for other judges at gatherings. But travels a lot and isn't always plugged in, so clerks may not get as much supervision or mentorship as they would like.

6. Clay. Lol.
Any thoughts on Davis? Sounds like she had a good rep as a district court judge.
Also curious about thoughts on Davis - did she move her chambers to Detroit upon being confirmed to the Sixth? I know she was a district judge in Flint, but OSCAR is showing Detroit so I'm curious if that's accurate.

Anyone know what the holdup is with Mathis? The Democrats are taking forever with his confirmation process, especially compared to Davis (or even Biden's more controversial/clearly progressive nominees) - I get that the Tennessee Senators did not return blue slips for him, but Durbin seemed clear about not bringing that back. Mathis' background seems pretty centrist/traditional and he even got Kennedy's vote in the SJC vote, so it's not like they need to discharge him.
General delay tactics on all circuit nominees in the Senate, I’d guess. Forcing Dems to hold straight votes and bring everyone to DC for the vote, when they need to be on the campaign trail. We’ll probably see a good slate of confirmations later in the year, but it won’t hold a candle to the pace we’ve seen now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:33 pm

Chokenhauer wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:35 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

6. Clay. Lol.

General delay tactics on all circuit nominees in the Senate, I’d guess. Forcing Dems to hold straight votes and bring everyone to DC for the vote, when they need to be on the campaign trail. We’ll probably see a good slate of confirmations later in the year, but it won’t hold a candle to the pace we’ve seen now.
Yeah I doubt we'll see the pace they were confirming judges at last year - I believe they've only confirmed 2 judges since KBJ was nominated back in February? Such a shame after a decent start last year, and now they probably won't even fill all the COA seats before the midterms (after which no judges will be confirmed if the Republicans win). As much as I disagree with McConnell on almost everything, at least he knew to prioritize confirming judges. In contrast, what is Schumer even doing in the Senate these days.

On a related note, why didn't Moore and Clay didn't go senior earlier last year (when Biden would've had time to nominate their successors)? At 73, neither of them is exactly young, and now they may need to hold on for another decade if they want a Democrat to nominate their successor.

Chokenhauer

New

Post by Chokenhauer » Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:33 pm
Chokenhauer wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:35 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

6. Clay. Lol.

Yeah I doubt we'll see the pace they were confirming judges at last year - I believe they've only confirmed 2 judges since KBJ was nominated back in February? Such a shame after a decent start last year, and now they probably won't even fill all the COA seats before the midterms (after which no judges will be confirmed if the Republicans win). As much as I disagree with McConnell on almost everything, at least he knew to prioritize confirming judges. In contrast, what is Schumer even doing in the Senate these days.

On a related note, why didn't Moore and Clay didn't go senior earlier last year (when Biden would've had time to nominate their successors)? At 73, neither of them is exactly young, and now they may need to hold on for another decade if they want a Democrat to nominate their successor.
No clue what’s holding them up. I don’t think the odds of getting Ds in Senate and as Prez before they have to retire/a vacancy opens up is very good. It’ll be interesting to see if Biden’s alleged deal with McConnell over Caldwell’s seat in EDKY affects the likelihood of getting noms through.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:58 pm
Also lol at the idea that clerking for Kennedy will not help you feed (most obviously with BMK). But you're also ignoring that he was Ohio SG for six years, and major SSG offices tend to have excellent SCOTUS connections. Similarly, the idea that who feeds first feeds most is nonsense--nobody thinks Bush is going to feed more than Menashi. Ho is a good comp for Murphy, but he's an exception that proves the rule, he could feed if he wanted to.
Yeah the whole SCOTUS clerk discussion is dumb. There's plenty of judges who clerked on the court who haven't become feeders. It's not just Ho. To name just a few more examples, there's Rushing (who clerked for two current justices), Miller, and Eid (she did indirectly feed a couple times from the Colorado Supreme Court iirc). Most ambitious conservative law students would take a Bumatay clerkship before Miller on the Ninth, for example, even though the former didn't clerk on the Court.

I guess being a SCOTUS clerk can help, but ultimately the judge's willingness to gun for feedership and their connections matter more. If anything, out of the four, Readler seems to be gunning the hardest for it. Nalbandian is extremely well-connected and has powerful friends. Bush has his Walker thing going on. Should be interesting to see how things eventually settle in this talent rich circuit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:40 pm

How many times has Bush ‘fed’ to Walker? Once? Twice? Doesn’t sound like much of a pattern.

Bush doesn’t strike me as a future heavyweight. Takes weird positions on random issues and no one seems to take him very seriously. Some of his opinions are really overwritten. Would guess he is not a bad boss though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:58 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Also lol at the idea that clerking for Kennedy will not help you feed (most obviously with BMK). But you're also ignoring that he was Ohio SG for six years, and major SSG offices tend to have excellent SCOTUS connections. Similarly, the idea that who feeds first feeds most is nonsense--nobody thinks Bush is going to feed more than Menashi. Ho is a good comp for Murphy, but he's an exception that proves the rule, he could feed if he wanted to.
Yeah the whole SCOTUS clerk discussion is dumb. There's plenty of judges who clerked on the court who haven't become feeders. It's not just Ho. To name just a few more examples, there's Rushing (who clerked for two current justices), Miller, and Eid (she did indirectly feed a couple times from the Colorado Supreme Court iirc). Most ambitious conservative law students would take a Bumatay clerkship before Miller on the Ninth, for example, even though the former didn't clerk on the Court.

I guess being a SCOTUS clerk can help, but ultimately the judge's willingness to gun for feedership and their connections matter more. If anything, out of the four, Readler seems to be gunning the hardest for it. Nalbandian is extremely well-connected and has powerful friends. Bush has his Walker thing going on. Should be interesting to see how things eventually settle in this talent rich circuit.
Eid and Miller are not ideology-sensitive in hiring and don’t hire off-plan, so they don’t even hire conservatives, let alone feed them. Miller in particular is very grade-selective. But they probably could feed if they wanted to, they’ve just consciously chosen not to be in the race. So not great examples.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:09 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:58 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Eid and Miller are not ideology-sensitive in hiring and don’t hire off-plan, so they don’t even hire conservatives, let alone feed them. Miller in particular is very grade-selective. But they probably could feed if they wanted to, they’ve just consciously chosen not to be in the race. So not great examples.
This is like when a lawyer with a losing case has a stack of unfavorable cases in front of them, and they just have to keep inventing ways to distinguish each one lol. I mean Eid hires counter-clerks, but she most certainly hires conservatives routinely. Not sure what Miller being grade-selective has to do with anything. Kethledge likes to wait for two years of grades, but he seems to do fine feeding conservatives. The point is that it's dumb to say someone will feed just because they happened to clerk on SCOTUS (or, in Murphy's case, clerked for someone who isn't even on the court anymore unlike e.g. Rushing).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:27 pm

Anyone know anything about Crytzer? She just posted.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:41 pm

Has Mathis hired for 23-24 yet?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Describing Judge Bush as ~quirky~ might be one of the funnier things I've read this year

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:42 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Describing Judge Bush as ~quirky~ might be one of the funnier things I've read this year
His quirkiest traits include posting birtherisms on 4chan or wherever and using homophobic slurs in public

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:56 pm

Anyone know which conservatives on the 6th circuit are the least grade sensitive and more ideological?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:56 pm
Anyone know which conservatives on the 6th circuit are the least grade sensitive and more ideological?
Readler, Bush, and Nalbandian (I think in that order) are probably your best bets of the Trump six, although they're all still pretty competitive. But the real answer may be a senior judge (e.g., Batchelder).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:08 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Readler, Bush, and Nalbandian (I think in that order) are probably your best bets of the Trump six, although they're all still pretty competitive. But the real answer may be a senior judge (e.g., Batchelder).
Awesome, thank you!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
In connection with the other post, I hear that Batchelder is the most ideological. For some reason I thought Readler occasionally hired liberals.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:37 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
In connection with the other post, I hear that Batchelder is the most ideological. For some reason I thought Readler occasionally hired liberals.
I think all the new Trump appointees at least occasionally hire liberals (maybe not Thapar anymore, but he certainly used to), or at least hire people who are not particularly or obviously conservative. But Readler has a pretty strong preference for ideologically aligned clerks, and that preference seemingly extended to even his career clerk/judicial assistant.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:00 am

Readler is definitely a true believer

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:42 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I think all the new Trump appointees at least occasionally hire liberals (maybe not Thapar anymore, but he certainly used to), or at least hire people who are not particularly or obviously conservative. But Readler has a pretty strong preference for ideologically aligned clerks, and that preference seemingly extended to even his career clerk/judicial assistant.
Thapar still hires liberals, but he's only looking to hire folks he can reliably feed. There are only so many liberal applicants a year with the grades for a liberal feeder who would nevertheless prefer to work for him.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:30 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Thapar still hires liberals, but he's only looking to hire folks he can reliably feed. There are only so many liberal applicants a year with the grades for a liberal feeder who would nevertheless prefer to work for him.
Thapar would be a nice play for a liberal targeting the Chief, but if you have the grades for the Chief, you also have the grades for any liberal feeder you want.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:19 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:30 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Thapar would be a nice play for a liberal targeting the Chief, but if you have the grades for the Chief, you also have the grades for any liberal feeder you want.
Is CJR that credential sensitive? His last few classes have included Faye/Summa grads but since hires from YLS a good bit, feels impossible to tell how credentialed they are

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:52 pm

Thapar still hires liberals but he also gets the top conservative applicants too and he'll put a thumb on the scale for them (plus they're more likely to get fed).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”