Let's talk 6th Circuit! Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Let's talk 6th Circuit!

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:42 pm
Different anon here from the one who mentioned Readler before. I know for a fact he hired at least one liberal clerk in the past. As for whether it would be fun, if you can put politics aside, I imagine it would be a good experience. As a liberal, I found Readler to be a very likable person, politics aside. Would I have clerked for him? Yes. (Although, I was very happy clerking for the conservative judge who hired me.)

Griffin and Rogers are both good suggestions. I don't think I'd call either moderate, but they're not ideologues and aren't ideological in hiring (as far as I know). Obviously, Sutton isn't a moderate and is nearly impossible to get, but he'll hire liberals. If I was a liberal with elite credentials, I'd clerk for him over Thapar. Siler also is a conservative (but not an ideologue) and requires spending a year in rural Kentucky (or commuting a long way for work), but he's not ideological in hiring.

So to answer the question, excepting Helene White, yes, Gibbons is the only moderate Republican appointee. (Although, I don't know anything about the ideologies of Suhrheinrich, Norris, or Ralph Guy or whether any still hire clerks.) But plenty of the Republican appointees are nonideological in hiring.
Nalbandian and Readler are 2 of the chillest judges in the federal judiciary. Their clerks rave about them. Sounds like a great experience, though I also haven’t heard of them hiring liberals.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:03 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:26 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:08 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:34 pm
Other than Gibbons, are any of the Republican appointees on the 6th more moderate in ideology (or at least non-ideological in hiring)?
Are you asking about active judges only or both active and senior?
Honestly, any judge that will be hiring clerks in 2024 or later.

To the other poster's comment, I'm also surprised that Readler would hire liberals given his ideology. Doesn't seem like it would be fun to be a counter-clerk for him (or in general, to be honest), but I guess anything's possible.
I met two classes of Readler clerks and they were all extremely conservative, fed-soc types.

Griffin is pretty moderate in some areas, but hardline conservative in others. He also hires across the political spectrum (probably close to 50/50).

If Rogers is still hiring for future cycles, he would be a good target for moderates/liberals from my understanding. Suhrheinrich would be another option but I think he’s slowing down considerably.
Different anon here from the one who mentioned Readler before. I know for a fact he hired at least one liberal clerk in the past. As for whether it would be fun, if you can put politics aside, I imagine it would be a good experience. As a liberal, I found Readler to be a very likable person, politics aside. Would I have clerked for him? Yes. (Although, I was very happy clerking for the conservative judge who hired me.)

Griffin and Rogers are both good suggestions. I don't think I'd call either moderate, but they're not ideologues and aren't ideological in hiring (as far as I know). Obviously, Sutton isn't a moderate and is nearly impossible to get, but he'll hire liberals. If I was a liberal with elite credentials, I'd clerk for him over Thapar. Siler also is a conservative (but not an ideologue) and requires spending a year in rural Kentucky (or commuting a long way for work), but he's not ideological in hiring.

So to answer the question, excepting Helene White, yes, Gibbons is the only moderate Republican appointee. (Although, I don't know anything about the ideologies of Suhrheinrich, Norris, or Ralph Guy or whether any still hire clerks.) But plenty of the Republican appointees are nonideological in hiring.
Out of curiosity, what's the difference between Thapar and Sutton? Both hire liberals as far as I'm aware.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:03 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:26 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:08 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:34 pm
Other than Gibbons, are any of the Republican appointees on the 6th more moderate in ideology (or at least non-ideological in hiring)?
Are you asking about active judges only or both active and senior?
Honestly, any judge that will be hiring clerks in 2024 or later.

To the other poster's comment, I'm also surprised that Readler would hire liberals given his ideology. Doesn't seem like it would be fun to be a counter-clerk for him (or in general, to be honest), but I guess anything's possible.
I met two classes of Readler clerks and they were all extremely conservative, fed-soc types.

Griffin is pretty moderate in some areas, but hardline conservative in others. He also hires across the political spectrum (probably close to 50/50).

If Rogers is still hiring for future cycles, he would be a good target for moderates/liberals from my understanding. Suhrheinrich would be another option but I think he’s slowing down considerably.

Great write up. I don’t think Norris is hiring anymore. I only know that Suhrheinrich has hired for this term. I think Guy is still hearing cases and has hired at least one clerk in the past cycle.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:37 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Nalbandian and Readler are 2 of the chillest judges in the federal judiciary. Their clerks rave about them. Sounds like a great experience, though I also haven’t heard of them hiring liberals.
Nalbandian is not well-liked at all. His reputation within the sixth circuit is probably one of the worst as far as being respected or liked by other judges or clerks on panels with him.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:51 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Nalbandian is not well-liked at all. His reputation within the sixth circuit is probably one of the worst as far as being respected or liked by other judges or clerks on panels with him.
That is news to me. Can you elaborate?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:43 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I don’t think it has anything to do with intellect or style. I think some find him abrasive. With that being said, I know some clerks who had a great experience with him.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Probably a Collins-esque: “He embarrasses us by pointing out our terrible reasoning and precedent.”

Anyway, I don’t know how the other judges personally like him or not, and frankly makes little difference to the clerks, who have raved about the experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:02 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Probably a Collins-esque: “He embarrasses us by pointing out our terrible reasoning and precedent.”

Anyway, I don’t know how the other judges personally like him or not, and frankly makes little difference to the clerks, who have raved about the experience.
I’ve only heard great things from his clerks, so I’m a little perplexed to hear something negative (not to say that isn’t true).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:59 am
Out of curiosity, what's the difference between Thapar and Sutton? Both hire liberals as far as I'm aware.
If I'm being blunt, I found Sutton to be a much more likable person. I'm not saying don't clerk for Thapar. He's not a horror show or anything. But Sutton seems much more personable and thoughtful. Thapar is an odd person and can be a bit thoughtless at times. Although, he directed the thoughtlessness at the litigants and other judges on the panel. I can't speak to what it's like to clerk for him.

I'd also say that Sutton isn't as far to the right as Thapar. He isn't as ideological. For liberals, that seems like a small win. I didn't clerk for either and can't speak to how things were in chambers. I can only speak to my perceptions from working with their chambers and meeting the judges personally.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:42 pm
I’ve only heard great things from his clerks, so I’m a little perplexed to hear something negative (not to say that isn’t true).
My judge wasn't one to speak openly about which colleagues he liked and which colleagues he didn't, so I can't speak to how other judges viewed Nalbandian. But I can say that the one clerk of his I spent time with absolutely sung his praises. And it wasn't the sort of fake praise you might hear from a law clerk who is unhappy. He genuinely loved clerking for him. But this clerk was a conservative.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:22 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:59 am
If I'm being blunt, I found Sutton to be a much more likable person. I'm not saying don't clerk for Thapar. He's not a horror show or anything. But Sutton seems much more personable and thoughtful. Thapar is an odd person and can be a bit thoughtless at times. Although, he directed the thoughtlessness at the litigants and other judges on the panel. I can't speak to what it's like to clerk for him.

I'd also say that Sutton isn't as far to the right as Thapar. He isn't as ideological. For liberals, that seems like a small win. I didn't clerk for either and can't speak to how things were in chambers. I can only speak to my perceptions from working with their chambers and meeting the judges personally.
This is my experience also.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

To the above poster: ????? Literally everyone loves Nalbandian (except a couple of the more strident liberal judges). His clerks seem to adore the man.

Judge Clay does sound like he has some sort vendetta against Nalbandian though, but conservatives on the Sixth Circuit would probably consider that a badge of honor. Nalbandian is definitely very conservative, for what it's worth.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:07 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

To the above poster: ????? Literally everyone loves Nalbandian (except a couple of the more strident liberal judges). His clerks seem to adore the man.

Judge Clay does sound like he has some sort vendetta against Nalbandian though, but conservatives on the Sixth Circuit would probably consider that a badge of honor. Nalbandian is definitely very conservative, for what it's worth.
That sounds more like what I’d expect to hear. I’ve literally heard only overwhelmingly good things about Nalbandian until this thread.

And Judge Clay? The judge with one of the worst reputations in the judiciary? How much is that even worth? But I admit I’m a little curious about which other liberal judges (Donald? Moore? Stranch?) are less enthusiastic about Nalbandian.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:34 pm

The Sixth Circuit has a long history of vicious fights between liberals and conservatives. At one point, it was probably the most acrimonious circuit in the country. Just look at the fights over Grutter. Much of that has subsided in the post-Trump era, now that the conservatives command a majority. But some of it still persists, see e.g. the legendary spats between Thapar and Moore.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:30 pm

That sounds more like what I’d expect to hear. I’ve literally heard only overwhelmingly good things about Nalbandian until this thread.

And Judge Clay? The judge with one of the worst reputations in the judiciary? How much is that even worth? But I admit I’m a little curious about which other liberal judges (Donald? Moore? Stranch?) are less enthusiastic about Nalbandian.
Well his most famous clerk is Ian Millhiser, so presumably it's worth less than nothing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:34 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Well his most famous clerk is Ian Millhiser, so presumably it's worth less than nothing.
Tell us you're a Fed Soc hack without telling us you're a Fed Soc hack

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

From the limited interaction I've had, it seems that Nalbandian's own clerks love him and love the clerkship. But other sixth circuit clerks and judges (even some conservative ones) see him as somewhat of an intellectual lightweight.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:00 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

From the limited interaction I've had, it seems that Nalbandian's own clerks love him and love the clerkship. But other sixth circuit clerks and judges (even some conservative ones) see him as somewhat of an intellectual lightweight.
Odd comment. Sounds like its coming from a liberal clerk? No way to prove it, but wondering if there is a Clay clerk here trying to badmouth other judges. Still salty about SCOTUS siding 9-0 with Nalbandian's dissent in CIC?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
The Sixth Circuit has a long history of vicious fights between liberals and conservatives. At one point, it was probably the most acrimonious circuit in the country. Just look at the fights over Grutter. Much of that has subsided in the post-Trump era, now that the conservatives command a majority. But some of it still persists, see e.g. the legendary spats between Thapar and Moore.
Yea there's still some leftover anger from that era. Some of the older judges are just delightful though, and well-loved across the spectrum. I'm thinking Judges Cole and Gilman. Judge Stranch is extremely personable as well. On the other side, most liberal judges, too, seem to like Larsen and a few others. Then there are the warriors on both sides. I'm thinking Moore, Clay, Readler, Thapar, so on.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:45 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Tell us you're a Fed Soc hack without telling us you're a Fed Soc hack
Ian, you can log off of TLS and go back to complaining that the Senate exists for the 900th time

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:22 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Odd comment. Sounds like its coming from a liberal clerk? No way to prove it, but wondering if there is a Clay clerk here trying to badmouth other judges. Still salty about SCOTUS siding 9-0 with Nalbandian's dissent in CIC?
Agreed. Very odd. This hasn’t really been the gossip I’m accustomed to in the circuit.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:57 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:22 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Agreed. Very odd. This hasn’t really been the gossip I’m accustomed to in the circuit.
x3 I guess I can't speak to the liberal judges. No way to know what their chambers are thinking since our interactions are cordial at best. But the Trump judges + Kethledge and Sutton are super tight with each other, and my sense is that they all think the world of Nalbandian. Obviously haven't interviewed each of them though, so take that with a grain of salt. Anyhow, Nalbandian seems like a total baller. Big politics and cigars guy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:27 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Yea there's still some leftover anger from that era. Some of the older judges are just delightful though, and well-loved across the spectrum. I'm thinking Judges Cole and Gilman. Judge Stranch is extremely personable as well. On the other side, most liberal judges, too, seem to like Larsen and a few others. Then there are the warriors on both sides. I'm thinking Moore, Clay, Readler, Thapar, so on.
Yep, Cole is just a fantastic gentleman. I say this as a conservative.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:03 pm

Yeah the one Nalbandian clerk I know described him as a big “whisky and cigars and country club” old-school schmoozer

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:03 pm
Yeah the one Nalbandian clerk I know described him as a big “whisky and cigars and country club” old-school schmoozer
I think we‘ve finally gotten to the heart of the coconut here. Either you like JBN’s vibe and penchant for name-dropping or you think he’s smarmy and clubby. I think this explains 99% of the recent posts.

I personally didn’t care for his whole schtick but his opinions were generally very solid. Wouldn’t call him an intellectual “light weight” at all.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”