Let's talk 11th Circuit! Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Let's talk 11th Circuit!

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 01, 2020 10:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
jrf12886 wrote:Can anyone confirm Hull and/or Martin are interviewing 2Ls at this point? Everything I've heard suggests they are on plan for 2Ls.
I've heard Hull is still hiring for 2020 and won't be looking for 2021 until the spring/summer of 2021.

On another note, does anyone have thoughts on Gayles (S.D. Fla.)?
Friend of mine clerked for Gayles two years ago, good experience. She learned early on to bring her lunch because workload was too heavy to go out during the day. He's generally well respected in Miami, nobody groans when a case is assigned to him (on the plaintiffs' side, at least). VERY nice man, high standards but not as exacting as Altonaga's chambers or as unpleasant as Ungaro's.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 02, 2020 4:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Newsom is soliciting applications for 2022.
Is he looking for 1L's (class of 2022) or is he just soliciting previous grads? If 1L, do they submit by paper since Oscar doesnt let you set up an account yet??
Both. And yes, paper (or email) for those without OSCAR access.
Newsom might’ve been the first judge to hire a student from Chicago last year, he moves fast. The students he’s taken have been very, very smart and pretty moderate by Fed Soc standards, not radical reactionaries like Ho and Rao like.

gawker2020

New

Post by gawker2020 » Sat May 02, 2020 5:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Is he looking for 1L's (class of 2022) or is he just soliciting previous grads? If 1L, do they submit by paper since Oscar doesnt let you set up an account yet??
Newsom might’ve been the first judge to hire a student from Chicago last year, he moves fast. The students he’s taken have been very, very smart and pretty moderate by Fed Soc standards, not radical reactionaries like Ho and Rao like.
FWIW the people I knew who interviewed were smart, but definitely not moderates.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 02, 2020 8:40 pm

gawker2020 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
FWIW the people I knew who interviewed were smart, but definitely not moderates.
+1. I know two people who are clerking or will clerk for him. One I’m not sure their ideology. The other is very far out there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 02, 2020 8:44 pm

Anyone know if Jill Pryor will hire non-2021 grads before June, or is she waiting to fill her last couple slots until she can see their applications?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 03, 2020 12:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
How would you find the office's email; it is not on OSCAR?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 17, 2020 9:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 8:44 pm
Anyone know if Jill Pryor will hire non-2021 grads before June, or is she waiting to fill her last couple slots until she can see their applications?
2L friend of mine interviewed her within the last two weeks. But OSCAR now says she's filled the 2021 term spot.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 18, 2020 8:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 12:57 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
How would you find the office's email; it is not on OSCAR?
I believe that Newsom is now full for 2022 but soliciting apps for 2023, which is frankly a bit absurd. Quarter system schools haven't even finished classes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 18, 2020 9:04 pm

Any info on Marcus's hiring practices or how he is as a boss?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:11 pm

Any updates on the 11th Circuit or know about the interview practices of the new judges on it?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:11 pm
Any updates on the 11th Circuit or know about the interview practices of the new judges on it?
Judge Jill Pryor's full for 2021-22, per her OSCAR. Can confirm from an applicant friend that her interview for that term was entirely about fit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:11 pm
Judge Brasher has made offers as late as 2022-23. No idea if he’s full for more recent terms. Interview was all questions about fit and preferred workplace culture.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:39 am

Anyone know if Judge Grant is hiring/what terms she's hiring for?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:25 pm

Can anyone comment on district judges in Atlanta-- who is a good boss? What hours are like? etc? Appreciate it

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:25 pm
Can anyone comment on district judges in Atlanta-- who is a good boss? What hours are like? etc? Appreciate it
Ross - longer hours than others, but not hateful (think 8:30-6:30ish). Only hires Emory/UGA/GSU who are planning to stay in GA

Batten - extremely laid back. Probably the easiest hours. Only hires Emory/UGA/GSU with a few exceptions. Splits time evenly between Atlanta and Newnan

Cohen - great boss, everyone loves him

Grimberg - nice guy, not that conservative for a Trump appointee, but he's taking a while to get his bearings as a new judge. Would probably be great to clerk for in a couple of years. Leans heavily toward Emory. One of the few on NDGA who does one-year clerkships.

May - fantastic to work with, reasonable hours

Ray - probably the only judge I'd stay away from; very anti-LGBT

Totenberg - fantastic, but very long hours.

Story - super nice guy, but mostly in Gainesville now that he's taken senior status. Clerks are based in ATL and don't see him much. Only hires Emory/UGA/GSU

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:45 pm

Any comments on MDFL judges?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:45 pm

Whittemore and Merryday - great to work for, generally (and correctly) viewed as the brightest stars on the district’s bench. Southern gentlemen. Merryday’s writing style is unique. His clerks work more than most others in the district but not bad hours (8-6)

Moody - also great to work for. Well regarded.

Scriven - don’t know much except that her clerks really like her.

Kovachevich - fantastic to clerk for. Despite her age, she’s still a force and she’s been on the bench long enough to see/know everything (and lots of great stories). Well regarded by the bar.

Honeywell - nice person but chambers is a disaster. Her clerks sometimes have to totally rewrite things a dozen times, and sits on draft opinions for months or years. Not well regarded by the district bar

Covington - her clerks regularly quit before their terms end (often within weeks of starting). Avoid at all costs. Don’t want to say too much more but if you’re seriously considering clerking for her, post non anonymous and I’ll message you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

baronsol

New

Post by baronsol » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:51 am
Anonymous User wrote:

Whittemore and Merryday - great to work for, generally (and correctly) viewed as the brightest stars on the district’s bench. Southern gentlemen. Merryday’s writing style is unique. His clerks work more than most others in the district but not bad hours (8-6)

Kovachevich - fantastic to clerk for. Despite her age, she’s still a force and she’s been on the bench long enough to see/know everything (and lots of great stories). Well regarded by the bar.

Honeywell - nice person but chambers is a disaster. Her clerks sometimes have to totally rewrite things a dozen times, and sits on draft opinions for months or years. Not well regarded by the district bar

Covington - her clerks regularly quit before their terms end (often within weeks of starting). Avoid at all costs. Don’t want to say too much more but if you’re seriously considering clerking for her, post non anonymous and I’ll message you.
Could you message me some more information on Covington?

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:44 am

baronsol wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:31 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Could you also message me? I just got an interview request for her

Anonatfl

New

Post by Anonatfl » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:26 pm

floatie wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:44 am
baronsol wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:31 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Could you also message me? I just got an interview request for her
I tried to message y'all but the website won't let me for whatever reason. Youll have to send me a message.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I heard horror stories about Merryday. Long hours. Weekend work. Forced his clerks and litigants to come in at a time when others were evacuating due to a hurricane. Played favorites. Not a kind boss. While I never worked for Covington, I interviewed with her and got awful vibes. Her interview seemed more designed to drive away applicants than anything. I wanted nothing to do with working for her after it.

While I can't comment on Tom Barber as a judge, I can say that he came off as a fabulous person when I met him. Very personable and has a great sense of humor.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:58 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I heard horror stories about Merryday. Long hours. Weekend work. Forced his clerks and litigants to come in at a time when others were evacuating due to a hurricane. Played favorites. Not a kind boss. While I never worked for Covington, I interviewed with her and got awful vibes. Her interview seemed more designed to drive away applicants than anything. I wanted nothing to do with working for her after it.

While I can't comment on Tom Barber as a judge, I can say that he came off as a fabulous person when I met him. Very personable and has a great sense of humor.
Merryday's hours are longer than most or all in the district (usually 8-6 but longer for trials, and he tries more cases than most others in the district). Not a former clerk of his but I'm close to several and the horror stories aren't correct (except the hurricane one is sort of true - it was a tropical depression :lol: ). He's a former BigLaw partner and reportedly runs his chambers like Big Law (except there's not any shouting or anything like that). I'm told he has high expectations for his work and his clerks, but the clerks who I know loved working for him and they served two-year terms. So take that anecdote for what it's worth.

I'm just some anon on an internet forum, but -- I'm reliably informed from several former Covington clerks that she is a nightmare to work for. More than one said she's regularly verbally abusive or demeaning, and there's regular talk around the courthouse that her clerks do personal errands like dry cleaning and picking up coffee. In terms of work, she's reportedly a micromanager and wants to be updated every single time a motion or response comes in (FYI to applicants, most district judges in MDFLA get half a dozen to a dozen filings a day) and wants it analyzed and decided immediately. I've never heard any good things from her clerks.

I've heard excellent things about Barber as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:32 pm
Merryday's hours are longer than most or all in the district (usually 8-6 but longer for trials, and he tries more cases than most others in the district). Not a former clerk of his but I'm close to several and the horror stories aren't correct (except the hurricane one is sort of true - it was a tropical depression :lol: ). He's a former BigLaw partner and reportedly runs his chambers like Big Law (except there's not any shouting or anything like that). I'm told he has high expectations for his work and his clerks, but the clerks who I know loved working for him and they served two-year terms. So take that anecdote for what it's worth.
Previous anon. My information comes from a former clerk. It's possible he/she just had an isolated experience, but it was a nightmare for him/her.
I'm just some anon on an internet forum, but -- I'm reliably informed from several former Covington clerks that she is a nightmare to work for. More than one said she's regularly verbally abusive or demeaning, and there's regular talk around the courthouse that her clerks do personal errands like dry cleaning and picking up coffee. In terms of work, she's reportedly a micromanager and wants to be updated every single time a motion or response comes in (FYI to applicants, most district judges in MDFLA get half a dozen to a dozen filings a day) and wants it analyzed and decided immediately. I've never heard any good things from her clerks.
I can confirm that Judge Covington has her clerks do personal errands. She brought that up in the interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:33 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:32 pm
Previous anon. My information comes from a former clerk. It's possible he/she just had an isolated experience, but it was a nightmare for him/her.
I can confirm that Judge Covington has her clerks do personal errands. She brought that up in the interview.
I’m the anon who you replied to. It’s pretty insane - and just goes to show the impunity of an AIII judge - that she has the courage to bring up personal errands in an interview

PS i heard from more than one former clerk That the errand running was on the weekends and before work at like 7am. What a fucking nightmare

throwaway10039884

New

Post by throwaway10039884 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Could you please PM me about Covington?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”