Let's talk 11th Circuit! Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Let's talk 11th Circuit!

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:37 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:16 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:26 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:02 pm
Does anybody have any intel on 11th Circuit movement for 2023 onwards?
Who are you interested in? I have some insight on Jordan and Lagoa.
What's the deal with Jordan? Waiting for summer to hire? Worth it so send in something now?
Jordan is reviewing apps now for his remaining Fall 2021 hiring, and has told some applicants to expect to hear from him "early spring." It's worth it to apply since he's still reviewing, but it helps to have personal connections since he is so popular and hires from a broad range of schools.
I thought he had finished for '21 way long ago (like 2019). Interesting.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:00 pm

Any insight on the (many) Trump appointees to the Circuit? (Specifically Newsom and Grant) Are they all extremely ideological?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:00 pm
Any insight on the (many) Trump appointees to the Circuit? (Specifically Newsom and Grant) Are they all extremely ideological?
I wouldn't call Newsom extreme but he's definitely what you'd expect from a Fed Soc judge. He has a very informal writing style, check out this wild concurrence in US v Caniff (noting the "sheer mind-blowing awesomeness" of Inception): https://media.ca11.uscourts.gov/opinion ... 712410.pdf

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 06, 2021 8:12 pm

https://media.ca11.uscourts.gov/opinion ... 913694.pdf

As a practitioner, it annoys me to no end when judges hijack appeals to do some strutting, especially because the standard reaction is to go on and on about how brilliant and insightful it is.

Save your longform musing about the history and purpose of standing doctrine, filled with citations to your prior concurring opinions, for law review, where it belongs.

If anybody in this thread clerks for Newsom, please tell him not to do this. Ever. Especially if it delays an otherwise simple appeal for months. We get it. You're smart, and only sometimes evil, and use contractions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 06, 2021 8:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 8:12 pm

As a practitioner, it annoys me to no end when judges hijack appeals to do some strutting, especially because the standard reaction is to go on and on about how brilliant and insightful it is.

Save your longform musing about the history and purpose of standing doctrine, filled with citations to your prior concurring opinions, for law review, where it belongs.

If anybody in this thread clerks for Newsom, please tell him not to do this. Ever. Especially if it delays an otherwise simple appeal for months. We get it. You're smart, and only sometimes evil, and use contractions.
That was a 50(ish) concurrence... for a six page opinion...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 07, 2021 11:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 8:12 pm

On the one hand, Spokeo is completely broken, maybe the most practically unworkable SCOTUS case of the last decade, and it's nice to see Fed Soc judges joining liberals in recognizing that and looking for solutions. On the other, yeah this should have been an LR article and Newsom's writing often walks the line between folksy and cringey.

For anyone interested in this, Will Baude's article on it in the Supreme Court Review is excellent.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 21, 2021 10:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:51 am
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know anything about Rosenbaum? The fact that she goes out of her way to say how hard the work is seems like a bit of a red flag
Super smart, but she will work you hard. I don't think she's as bad as a Kozinski or Posner, but her clerks are routinely working until 11:00 PM a lot of nights.
Can someone confirm or deny this? How is Rosenbaum to work for; is it really this bad? This post was a bit old. So seeking newer information.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 10:44 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:51 am
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know anything about Rosenbaum? The fact that she goes out of her way to say how hard the work is seems like a bit of a red flag
Super smart, but she will work you hard. I don't think she's as bad as a Kozinski or Posner, but her clerks are routinely working until 11:00 PM a lot of nights.
Can someone confirm or deny this? How is Rosenbaum to work for; is it really this bad? This post was a bit old. So seeking newer information.
This question is a few months old, but for what it is worth -- Rosenbaum is demanding, but she's also a team player. If her clerks are working until 11, so is she.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:32 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:58 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:51 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:45 pm
Any comments on MDFL judges?

Whittemore and Merryday - great to work for, generally (and correctly) viewed as the brightest stars on the district’s bench. Southern gentlemen. Merryday’s writing style is unique. His clerks work more than most others in the district but not bad hours (8-6)

Moody - also great to work for. Well regarded.

Scriven - don’t know much except that her clerks really like her.

Kovachevich - fantastic to clerk for. Despite her age, she’s still a force and she’s been on the bench long enough to see/know everything (and lots of great stories). Well regarded by the bar.

Honeywell - nice person but chambers is a disaster. Her clerks sometimes have to totally rewrite things a dozen times, and sits on draft opinions for months or years. Not well regarded by the district bar

Covington - her clerks regularly quit before their terms end (often within weeks of starting). Avoid at all costs. Don’t want to say too much more but if you’re seriously considering clerking for her, post non anonymous and I’ll message you.
I heard horror stories about Merryday. Long hours. Weekend work. Forced his clerks and litigants to come in at a time when others were evacuating due to a hurricane. Played favorites. Not a kind boss. While I never worked for Covington, I interviewed with her and got awful vibes. Her interview seemed more designed to drive away applicants than anything. I wanted nothing to do with working for her after it.

While I can't comment on Tom Barber as a judge, I can say that he came off as a fabulous person when I met him. Very personable and has a great sense of humor.
Merryday's hours are longer than most or all in the district (usually 8-6 but longer for trials, and he tries more cases than most others in the district). Not a former clerk of his but I'm close to several and the horror stories aren't correct (except the hurricane one is sort of true - it was a tropical depression :lol: ). He's a former BigLaw partner and reportedly runs his chambers like Big Law (except there's not any shouting or anything like that). I'm told he has high expectations for his work and his clerks, but the clerks who I know loved working for him and they served two-year terms. So take that anecdote for what it's worth.
I can credit that some of the Merryday horror stories are true. The clerks who like him best are the ones who most resemble him: usually male, somewhat conservative, willing to put up with harsh (and often unfair) criticism, and adaptive to his peculiar writing style. He has an 8 page style guide with an extensive list of "banned words" (like any word starting with "re"). Also, I have never once heard Merryday referred to as one of MDFL's "brightest stars."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:20 pm

Anyone know if judges have hired for 2023 yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:58 pm

Worth noting that Merryday on MD FL seems to now be getting some forum-shopped conservative impact lit like many Texas judges do

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/202 ... eedom.html

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:58 pm
Worth noting that Merryday on MD FL seems to now be getting some forum-shopped conservative impact lit like many Texas judges do

I don’t understand this comment. Forum shopping is possible in Texas because some divisions only have 1 judge, so you’re guaranteed to get them by filing there. Tampa has a dozen judges so you can’t forum shop for a particular one. The clerk randomly assigns cases. Isn’t that how it works?

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:23 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

I don’t understand this comment. Forum shopping is possible in Texas because some divisions only have 1 judge, so you’re guaranteed to get them by filing there. Tampa has a dozen judges so you can’t forum shop for a particular one. The clerk randomly assigns cases. Isn’t that how it works?
As far as I know, it is random. Unless Merryday can put his thumb on the scale as the most senior judge of that division, there's no guarantee you get a conservative. Four of the six active judges are conservative. But there are a good number of left-leaning senior judges in Tampa. Plus, Scriven is a moderate, and Honeywell is left leaning.

If you wanted to pick a forum in Florida where you were guaranteed a Republican appointee, you'd pick Pensacola. Although, I'm not familiar with Rodgers, so I don't know if she's a moderate or conservative.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:19 am

lavarman84 wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:02 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:23 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

As far as I know, it is random. Unless Merryday can put his thumb on the scale as the most senior judge of that division, there's no guarantee you get a conservative. Four of the six active judges are conservative. But there are a good number of left-leaning senior judges in Tampa. Plus, Scriven is a moderate, and Honeywell is left leaning.

If you wanted to pick a forum in Florida where you were guaranteed a Republican appointee, you'd pick Pensacola. Although, I'm not familiar with Rodgers, so I don't know if she's a moderate or conservative.
Stunned to discover Mark Joseph Stern doesn't understand basic aspects of the legal system

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:19 am
Stunned to discover Mark Joseph Stern doesn't understand basic aspects of the legal system
Mark has a good understanding of the legal system. At most, he implied some things that aren't totally true. But that's not atypical of the media.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:32 pm

Does anyone know if Judge Newsom has finished hiring for 2023-24? If so, is he actively hiring for subsequent terms? Any info appreciated.

Prosecutor

New

Post by Prosecutor » Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:32 pm
Does anyone know if Judge Newsom has finished hiring for 2023-24? If so, is he actively hiring for subsequent terms? Any info appreciated.
He is hiring for 24, and not sure if he's finished.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:13 pm

Prosecutor wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:13 am
Anonymous User wrote:
I know he's either currently hiring for 24-25, or about to start.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:13 pm
Prosecutor wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:13 am
Anonymous User wrote:
I know he's either currently hiring for 24-25, or about to start.
Good to know -- thanks to you both for this information.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:14 pm

Anyone hear about Marcus 2023 or 2024 (or 2025?).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:44 am

Does anyone know how Lagoa hires? Can't find much information on her or where to send apps, which I guess tends to imply that her process is very connection based, but I am unsure.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:44 am
Does anyone know how Lagoa hires? Can't find much information on her or where to send apps, which I guess tends to imply that her process is very connection based, but I am unsure.
Bingo - it's very connection driven. Having actual Florida ties helps.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:49 pm

Has anyone heard anything from Ruiz (S.D. Fla.) interviewed last Monday and wondering if I should give up hope.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:04 pm

What are the Trump judges like as bosses? Brasher, Lagoa, Newsom, Grant, and others?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:06 pm

Newsom has a ping pong table in chambers. Fun boss. Fun-to-read opinions.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”