Sequestration? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Sequestration?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:10 am

Anyone out there have any sense of the effect the sequestration will have on current clerks? I know the judiciary has been talking about some combination of layoffs and furloughs to make its cuts, but does anyone out there know how this will effect current law clerks?

Anonymous User

Re: Sequestration?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:08 am

My understanding is that law clerks and chambers staff more generally are considered essential employees and shouldn't be directly affected. I could be wrong though.

nevdash

Bronze

Post by nevdash » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:12 am

I made a similar thread in the Legal Employment forum last month: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &p=6287984

Only a couple of replies, but it seems like we should be alright.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:16 am

It depends on your district and judge. My judge already said that if we get sequestered, our salary will be reduced to pay based on a 30-35 hour work week, but we will still have to work our normal hours.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:16 am

nevdash wrote:I made a similar thread in the Legal Employment forum last month: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &p=6287984

Only a couple of replies, but it seems like we should be alright.
My friends at the US-A office who are worried about not getting paid. Anecdotal at best, and for sure they're less important than a judge, but I'm not sure why an AUSA would be less important than a judicial clerk.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:It depends on your district and judge. My judge already said that if we get sequestered, our salary will be reduced to pay based on a 30-35 hour work week, but we will still have to work our normal hours.
Wowsa. That sucks. Thankfully, mine hasn't said a word about it, so I'm assuming no effect is anticipated.

(I'm not saying law clerks are more important than AUSAs, but they are paid out of different pots of money.)

nevdash

Bronze

Post by nevdash » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:It depends on your district and judge. My judge already said that if we get sequestered, our salary will be reduced to pay based on a 30-35 hour work week, but we will still have to work our normal hours.
Wow, that's so fucked. I know we're not doing it for the money, but it's difficult enough to service loans and still live like an actual person on ~$57k.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:08 pm

nevdash wrote:
Wow, that's so fucked. I know we're not doing it for the money, but it's difficult enough to service loans and still live like an actual person on ~$57k.
Go on IBR.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:13 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
nevdash wrote:
Go on IBR.
Dude, like we're not all already on IBR?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:15 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
nevdash wrote:
Go on IBR.
Then don't bitch about servicing loans.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:18 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Go on IBR.
Wait, what? Why are we not allowed to bitch about paying off loans? I thought that was an inalienable right of law school grads.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:18 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Go on IBR.
:lol: Saw that one coming.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:19 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Go on IBR.
Wait, what? Why are we not allowed to bitch about paying off loans? I thought that was an inalienable right of law school grads.
Damn it, checkmate

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Total Litigator

Silver

Post by Total Litigator » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:33 pm

Also, federal courts don't tend to get too worked up over this sort of stuff, because the courts usually have enough court fee cash reserves to function normally for at least a month or so without federal funding, i.e. reasonably enough time to wait out congressional inaction.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:34 pm

Total Litigator wrote:Also, federal courts don't tend to get too worked up over this sort of stuff, because the courts usually have enough court fee cash reserves to function normally for at least a month or so without federal funding, i.e. reasonably enough time to wait out congressional inaction.
Well the sequestration isn't a government shut down. It's looking like a permanent budget cut.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone out there have any sense of the effect the sequestration will have on current clerks? I know the judiciary has been talking about some combination of layoffs and furloughs to make its cuts, but does anyone out there know how this will effect current law clerks?
Any new info on the fallout starting Friday?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:54 am

I asked in my chambers, and the JA and my co-clerk (career) just looked at me blankly, like they'd never heard of sequestration. Which was sort of amusing because it was the same day I read a piece online (NY Law Journal or something?) in which SDNY (and I think EDNY) judges/staff bemoaned the horrific impact the sequester was going to have. So it seems it varies by district?

The JA did say, though, that she thought bankruptcy court had been told they might have to have a few furlough days. She said the specialty courts are paid out of a different pool than district courts (and that because district court chambers staff are considered essential they're not generally furloughed).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:52 am

Law clerks and judges will not be affected directly, i.e., no changes to salary/furlough for clerks. Law clerks are essential employees and a separate part of the judicial budget. Those directly affected are other members of court staff, notably courtroom deputy clerks and the like. I'd assume the exact impact varies by district because the budgetary needs of each district vary based on size, but that's how it's going to work. Should things change, you'll at least be given notice (I think 30 days or so is required, actually). But the impact is on court management rather than the legal side.

hdivschool

Bronze

Post by hdivschool » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:35 pm

Any updates on this? Can any current clerks comment on if/how the budget cuts have affected their chambers?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”