Northern District of Georgia Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Northern District of Georgia

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:40 pm

Does anyone know anything about the hiring practices for judges in the Northern District of Georgia? I will be applying for 2014 (I'm a 2L), but from a T30 in a region outside of the South. I'm trying to get to Atlanta for personal reasons, but really have no connections to the city specifically, or the South generally. Just wondering if anyone knew if judges in Atlanta are very GA-focused, or if they consider non-T14 applicants from outside the region.

Any info about the Northern District of Georgia would be greatly appreciated!

Anonymous User

Re: Northern District of Georgia

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:32 pm

The judges tend to be Georgia focused plus T14. But that may be a product of selection bias. If they hire from outside that wheelhouse, most judges tend to favor students with preexisting or strong, demonstrated ties to Atlanta, Georgia, or at least the Southeast. That last part probably applies less to newer judges on the court. If you can spin a convincing yarn about your interest in Atlanta, and you have the credentials, you may have a shot. Can I ask what sort of stats you have? Also consider that it judges on the court have been moving earlier and earlier. Waiting for the plan may not be wise.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:48 pm

OP here. Thanks for the information. I have actually started to reach out to judges in Atlanta to monitor their hiring process, so I'm definitely not waiting for the plan. Here are my stats:

School: T30
Ranking: Top 10%-15%
Law Review/Journal: Secondary
Summer Employment: V10 Firm
Published: Not yet, but hopeful
Recs: 2 professors (1 gave me Book Award), 1 from my current externship at Court of Appeals.
Other Factors: Good grade in Federal Courts, legal writing honors, moot court, and my note focuses heavily on a recent decision from the Northern District of Georgia (though, I'm not sure how relevant this actually is).

I know I'm kind of a long-shot candidate, but I was hoping to write focused cover letters, apply early, and hope for the best.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:08 pm

Happy to help. To the extent that you have ANY connection to the area, emphasize it. If you can get your recommenders to make phone calls, that will boost your candidacy a lot. If they know the judge, that's ideal, but even if they don't, just getting a call is often what it takes to get your application pulled. If your COA judge is willing to call, that would also be a huge help -- although I understand most won't do that.

Tailor your applications as much as possible, lean on professors to make phone calls, try to mine any connections to Atlanta and professor connections to judges, and get your apps in early. My opinion is that it's better to have a judge throw your app away because s/he is not reviewing yet than to miss the window because your app is late in arriving.

Have you considered magistrates? Do you play tennis?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:17 pm

I did consider magistrates for a hot minute, but concluded (perhaps erroneously?) that pursuing a magistrate clerkship wouldn't be wise. Presuming that I have an offer from the V10, wouldn't it be more advantageous to my future career to stay there for a year or two and consider pursing a clerkship later/try to lateral to a firm in the area? My main reason for for considering Atlanta is that my significant other is deciding between grad schools, one of which is located in Atlanta. I struck out with Atlanta firms during OCI (most likely because I lacked any connections), so I'm thinking my chances to move to an ATL firm would improve vastly following a district court clerkship. Moreover, I'm enjoying my externship tremendously and really think clerking is an experience I would enjoy and find valuable.

I played tennis for my high school. I've been meaning to start up again. Is that relevant? Haha.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Clerking for a district judge is definitely preferable to a magistrate, and is much more likely to eventually get you into an Atlanta firm. No question. But if you are dead set on the Atlanta market, a magistrate might work. It's a tough call whether you're better off with a magistrate or with your V10. Personally I would probably go to the firm before I would go to a magistrate or another Georgia district (MDGa or SDGa), but I am risk averse. It just depends on how desperate you are to be in Atlanta. I can't comment on the lateral market, which is obviously a huge factor in your consideration. If lateraling from your practice group in your firm to Atlanta is a possibility in 2 years, that may be the better option. I just don't know.

There is a judge on the court who considers tennis a job requirement.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:52 am

What's the general position on NDGA re: clerks coming straight from law school?

HYS here w/ LR, very strong ATL ties and would really like to clerk at home. could this help counteract a lack of outside work experience?

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but it seemed like you've asked all your questions OP

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What's the general position on NDGA re: clerks coming straight from law school?

HYS here w/ LR, very strong ATL ties and would really like to clerk at home. could this help counteract a lack of outside work experience?

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but it seemed like you've asked all your questions OP
IME NDGa does not show a strong alumni clerk preference in the way that other districts have (particularly SDNY). A lot of the clerks on the court are law students. That's not to say that having practice experience isn't a boost--it is--but that being a law student is not perceived here as being a big negative.

If you are HYS with LR and strong ATL ties you should have no problem getting interviews. Frankly you should have no problem getting interviews on the circuit unless your grades are subpar.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:15 pm

Anybody heard any movement in ND Ga. hiring for 2015-2016 yet?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:43 pm

My understanding from my school's clerkship advisors and word of mouth is that NDGA (and all of Georgia) don't do a great job accounting for the increased competition at T14 schools, so you may need the same grades coming from Columbia that you'd need coming from UGA.

Take this for what it's worth.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:51 pm

Any movement for 2015-2016/2017 yet?

gregfootball2001

Silver

Post by gregfootball2001 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any movement for 2015-2016/2017 yet?
I believe Thrash has hired his 2015 clerk.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:09 pm

Confirmed: Judge Thrash (who according to Oscar "will begin accepting applications on June 17, 2014") is all filled up for 2015-2017.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My understanding from my school's clerkship advisors and word of mouth is that NDGA (and all of Georgia) don't do a great job accounting for the increased competition at T14 schools, so you may need the same grades coming from Columbia that you'd need coming from UGA.

The Atlanta market works like that period.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My understanding from my school's clerkship advisors and word of mouth is that NDGA (and all of Georgia) don't do a great job accounting for the increased competition at T14 schools, so you may need the same grades coming from Columbia that you'd need coming from UGA.

The Atlanta market works like that period.
?

If you're lumping firms jobs in with clerkships when you write the Atlanta "market," then no - that's not true.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:33 am

Anyone know if N.D. Ga. DC judges are filling up for 2015? Or if they've started interviewing? I know Thrash is done, but curious about any others.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:53 pm

^Bump. I'm curious as well: any movement from district court judges? For reference, I'm top 20% at a T6 with executive position on secondary journal and publication. Applied to Orinda Evans, and I know Thrash is done, but any word on the others?
you may need the same grades coming from Columbia that you'd need coming from UGA.

Oh, and is this true? If so, it's a staggering commentary that makes ATL seem like a retrograde legal market...Should have gone to UGA or Emory, apparently.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:40 pm

Anyone interested in clerking in NDGA should keep their eyes on the nominees. Judge Carnes was just elevated to the eleventh circuit, and I imagine that the district court nominees will have their confirmation vote very soon.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:09 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”