Competitiveness Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Competitiveness

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:46 pm

Top quarter at T20, master's in science, passed patent bar, 2L V30 SA in litigation. Chances at D.Del, D.MD, and E.D.VA?

ph14

Gold

Re: Competitiveness

Post by ph14 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Top quarter at T20, master's in science, passed patent bar, 2L V30 SA in litigation. Chances at D.Del, D.MD, and E.D.VA?
Hmm, maybe if you were at a V25. But V30 has no shot.

In all seriousness, can you be more specific? What is your recommendation situation? Are you a 2L/3L/alumni?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:55 pm

ph14 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Top quarter at T20, master's in science, passed patent bar, 2L V30 SA in litigation. Chances at D.Del, D.MD, and E.D.VA?
Hmm, maybe if you were at a V25. But V30 has no shot.

In all seriousness, can you be more specific? What is your recommendation situation? Are you a 2L/3L/alumni?
I'm a 2L. I have some profs and attorney contacts who are willing to refer me. Focusing on patent-heavy dockets obv.

Citizen Genet

Silver

Post by Citizen Genet » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:12 pm

No idea on how patent specificity affects competitiveness. (My sense is, if you can quickly and coherently explain to a judge why he is special, you stand a better chance at being reviewed. I could see that being salient for patent dockets particularly. But I don't know if that is enough to make up for the school/grade combo.)

Any reason you're not considering E.D. Tx as well?

theaccidentalclerk

Bronze

Post by theaccidentalclerk » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:42 pm

Very little chance in ED Va or D Del. The former is actually one of the more competitive districts now. Lots of fun national security cases. The problem with Delaware is that there just aren't very many judges, and the ones that are there are really well-regarded. Even for the patent-heavy dockets, I suspect it's pretty much out -- there aren't all that many of them, and I suspect that there well be enough T14 applicants with better grades and similar science backgrounds applying to rule you out.

I don't know enough about D. Md. I'd guess you might have a shot with patent-heavy judges, but that's really just a shot in the dark.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:49 pm

theaccidentalclerk wrote:Very little chance in ED Va or D Del. The former is actually one of the more competitive districts now. Lots of fun national security cases. The problem with Delaware is that there just aren't very many judges, and the ones that are there are really well-regarded. Even for the patent-heavy dockets, I suspect it's pretty much out -- there aren't all that many of them, and I suspect that there well be enough T14 applicants with better grades and similar science backgrounds applying to rule you out.

I don't know enough about D. Md. I'd guess you might have a shot with patent-heavy judges, but that's really just a shot in the dark.
Would a year or two at a firm put me over the edge into "possible?"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”