Best and worst judges to clerk for Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Best and worst judges to clerk for

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:53 pm
Elizabeth Branch joined the YLS boycott—she’s pretty obscure, so I doubt it’ll change anything, but I was surprised someone with a fairly nonideological background took such a hard stand
Ignoring the dumb commentary below the responded to comment, she is a surprise - not remotely a bomb-thrower, doesn't have SCOTUS aspirations (AFAIK), and I was under the impression she hired liberals.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:15 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Elizabeth Branch joined the YLS boycott—she’s pretty obscure, so I doubt it’ll change anything, but I was surprised someone with a fairly nonideological background took such a hard stand
“Nonideological background”

Worked as a senior official for Bush for 4 years

Fed Soc weirdo for 20 years, 10 years of which has been in leadership roles in Georgia

Praised Scalia’s dissent in Lawrence

Wanted to gut Section 2 of the VRA
This is all pretty standard stuff for an R-appointee. Idk what non-ideological R circuit appointee looks like to you, but if it is someone like Judge St. Eve there is going to be like 3 of them

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:55 pm

Has anyone heard anything (good or bad) about Shelby in Utah?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:55 pm
Has anyone heard anything (good or bad) about Shelby in Utah?
We have on review on him in our law school resources and it is very good. He seems to be very personable. No idea about work hours or anything though.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:48 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:15 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
“Nonideological background”

Worked as a senior official for Bush for 4 years

Fed Soc weirdo for 20 years, 10 years of which has been in leadership roles in Georgia

Praised Scalia’s dissent in Lawrence

Wanted to gut Section 2 of the VRA
This is all pretty standard stuff for an R-appointee. Idk what non-ideological R circuit appointee looks like to you, but if it is someone like Judge St. Eve there is going to be like 3 of them
Yeah, there aren't a lot of them among the Trump circuit appointees. In terms of the Trump appointees on the Eleventh Circuit, Branch is definitely closer to the most partisan of them than the least partisan of them. (I am avoiding using ideological because one can be ideological without necessarily being partisan.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
She's never hired a Yalie from what I can tell. Seems like she's been boycotting for a while and just never said it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:26 pm

Anyone have any intel on the more liberal/centrist Fifth Circuit judges: people like Stewart, Higginson, Graves, Dennis, or maybe Haynes?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:26 pm
Anyone have any intel on the more liberal/centrist Fifth Circuit judges: people like Stewart, Higginson, Graves, Dennis, or maybe Haynes?
Without trying to sound crass, Dennis looks like he is on death's door and I don't think he will remain on senior status for very long after Douglas is confirmed to replace him. Haynes is unpleasant to clerk for. Higginson is one of the smartest people on the circuit, I suspect any clerkship with him is a good one.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:48 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Without trying to sound crass, Dennis looks like he is on death's door and I don't think he will remain on senior status for very long after Douglas is confirmed to replace him. Haynes is unpleasant to clerk for. Higginson is one of the smartest people on the circuit, I suspect any clerkship with him is a good one.
Could you elaborate on Haynes. What is the unpleasantness aspect of it?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
While I had only limited interactions with him, Stewart seemed pretty great. My judge also quite liked him.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
How likely is it Douglas will be confirmed with the midterms looming?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
This aligns with what I've heard.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:03 pm

lavarman84 wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:53 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
While I had only limited interactions with him, Stewart seemed pretty great. My judge also quite liked him.
Stewart recently won the Devitt Award, the highest honor from the Judicial Conference, which is the sort of thing you don't win unless other judges really like you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:08 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'd say odds are pretty good - both of Louisiana's Republican senators OK'ed her nomination and she got bipartisan support on her Senate Judiciary Committee vote. If the Dems lose the Senate in the midterms, they're almost certainly going to press ahead with confirming a bunch of judges in November/December before McConnell obstructs everything. Nothing's a sure bet (especially with Senator Leahy hospitalized today), but Douglas is probably the most likely of all the pending nominees to be confirmed.

The fact that Biden left Costa's seat vacant on CA5 is disappointing - given that the administration had no issue telling Marsha Blackburn to take a hike re: the CA6 nominee, they should've told Cruz to do the same.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:08 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
The circuit nominees who have gotten through committee, including Douglas, are virtually guaranteed to be confirmed in time. The circuit judges I'd be most worried about are Abudu, Bloomekatz, and Rikelman, who will require discharge votes that eat up lots of floor time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:04 am

Anyone have any information on Northern District of Indiana judges?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:00 am

I’ve heard terrible things about Florence Pan from her one year on DDC.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:00 am
Do tell.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:15 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Do tell.
Bad hours, nasty and demeaning to clerks, all-around bad boss.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:51 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Do tell.
I've heard the same. avoid.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:39 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:51 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Do tell.
I've heard the same. avoid.
Is Pan like Holme or Kozinski level or is this just like typical bad clerk boss stuff.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:39 pm

has anyone heard anything about Judge Brinkema in EDVA?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:13 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
This aligns with what I've heard.
When you say Dennis is on death's door is he still like an active/nice boss but just old or is he like actually on death's door. Seems like he has still been very active.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
By many accounts, Higginson is one of the nicest people on the planet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:10 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
By many accounts, Higginson is one of the nicest people on the planet.
I have heard similarly about Judge Higginson. Another judge that is known to be supremely kind is Judge Friedland on the Ninth.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”