Best and worst judges to clerk for Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Best and worst judges to clerk for

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:05 am
Saw Judge Trevor McFadden just posted for 26-27! Other than that he hires three and a half years out (and seems to require semi-feeder credentials), does anyone know how he is as a boss/what it's like clerking for him?
McFadden’s well-connected and a big networker. Very much wants to be a Fed Soc feeder. People I know like him but I don’t know him personally.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:28 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:23 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:11 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:18 am
Any info on the district court judges in the Western District of Washington (especially Seattle, but Tacoma is fine too), especially the new ones?
Estudillo is wonderful
A lot of the newer WDWA ask for a “Statement of Qualifications” explaining why the applicant thinks they’re compatible with the judge personally and professionally, along with some other stuff - I haven’t seen it as a requirement for other clerkships and it seems like a lot of work, but maybe it weeds out folks who are applying just for the sake of applying?

I don’t know anything about the judges, but I wonder if Lauren King in particular will be up for elevation if Ronald Gould goes senior in the next 2 years. She’s young and would be the first Native American federal appellate judge, which fits with the Biden administration’s priorities.
Have long thought Gould will stay on active status until he's physically or mentally not able to continue, as his MO is refusal to give in to his disability. But that's not based on any inside information.
Biden just nominated one of the first openly disabled candidates since the Clinton administration to a district seat in Seattle. Maybe he is signaling to Gould that he has a disabled replacement lined up.

Then again, he didn't wait for a disabled nominee to replace Tatel, so who knows?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:04 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Saw Judge Trevor McFadden just posted for 26-27! Other than that he hires three and a half years out (and seems to require semi-feeder credentials), does anyone know how he is as a boss/what it's like clerking for him?
McFadden’s well-connected and a big networker. Very much wants to be a Fed Soc feeder. People I know like him but I don’t know him personally.
Any info on Nichols or Kelly?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:10 pm

Any horrible or excellent EDPA or DNJ judges?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:00 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Nichols is a Fed Soc hard-liner

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:13 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I have heard various people describe him as "very conservative but not Trump-y." That's consistent with what I've seen, including his rulings in the Dominion defamation cases.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:27 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I have heard various people describe him as "very conservative but not Trump-y." That's consistent with what I've seen, including his rulings in the Dominion defamation cases.
This describes 90%+ of conservative judges, including all three of the ones Trump put on SCOTUS. With a few prominent exception, there are few "Trumpy" judges, mostly because "Trumpiness" is borderline incompatible with the type of personality that pursues a judicial career.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:10 pm
I've heard iffy things about Beetlestone in E.D.P.A., but also better things recently, so maybe it was just tough early-going.

In DNJ, McNulty's wonderful, but on his way out. Cecchi seemed overwhelmed. Don't know anything about the Biden appointees.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I've heard amazing things about Beetlestone and Brody. I've also heard mostly good things about Diamond, just more intense than he actually needs to be.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:45 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
This describes 90%+ of conservative judges, including all three of the ones Trump put on SCOTUS. With a few prominent exception, there are few "Trumpy" judges, mostly because "Trumpiness" is borderline incompatible with the type of personality that pursues a judicial career.
Yeah there are a few who are very MAGA (I know Menashi is for example) but it’s rare

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:03 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:28 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:23 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:11 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:18 am
Any info on the district court judges in the Western District of Washington (especially Seattle, but Tacoma is fine too), especially the new ones?
Estudillo is wonderful
A lot of the newer WDWA ask for a “Statement of Qualifications” explaining why the applicant thinks they’re compatible with the judge personally and professionally, along with some other stuff - I haven’t seen it as a requirement for other clerkships and it seems like a lot of work, but maybe it weeds out folks who are applying just for the sake of applying?

I don’t know anything about the judges, but I wonder if Lauren King in particular will be up for elevation if Ronald Gould goes senior in the next 2 years. She’s young and would be the first Native American federal appellate judge, which fits with the Biden administration’s priorities.
Have long thought Gould will stay on active status until he's physically or mentally not able to continue, as his MO is refusal to give in to his disability. But that's not based on any inside information.
I've also thought that Gould was one of the judges who will never go senior (Rovner on CA7 is another one) - I don't understand their thinking, and I certainly hope I'm wrong. Gould is also one of the most moderate Dem appointees, so I wasn't surprised that he still hasn't gone senior under Biden. Would be a shame for him to be replaced by a far-right hack because of his personal hang-ups though.
It really makes no sense to not go senior. CA7 is not overworked afaik, so Rovner is one thing. But CA9 needs every judge it can get. Gould could go senior but keep a full docket if he wants, giving the circuit an extra judge (not to mention ensuring a like-minded successor). The only way his life changes if he goes senior is not voting in en bancs and not chairing panels. He certainly wouldn't be giving in to his disability.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:43 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:45 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yeah there are a few who are very MAGA (I know Menashi is for example) but it’s rare
For what it's worth, Nichols is the only D.C. Judge to rule for the defense on a motion to dismiss an 18 U.S.C. § 1512 obstruction count in the January 6 cases. Every other D.C. judge has rejected these arguments including the other Trump appointees. On appeal, Katsas (who Nichols used to work for) and Walker (with Rao on the more MAGA end of the DC Circuit) both seemed extremely skeptical of Nichols' reasoning at oral argument.

I'm not saying Nichols is Trumpy. He isn't. He presided over Steve Bannon's conviction. I personally think Nichol's is just a principled conservative. But he is definitely willing to go against every other judge on his court, even when doing so looks Trumpy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Both of the new Camden judges, O'Hearn and Williams, seemed wonderful from my interactions with them. You'd want to live in Center City Philly and take the PATCO train if you clerked for one of them, but that's an easy commute.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Friend who interned in Kearney's chambers had a rough time, apparently a screamer with rough hours

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:43 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Friend who interned in Kearney's chambers had a rough time, apparently a screamer with rough hours
I had a trial before Kearney, and I can see that, although FWIW he was a great trial judge. (That's not saying that he ruled for my side every time, but he ruled quickly, fairly, and decisively based on the rules of evidence for evidentiary issues / spent time and really thought through some of the knottier issues raised in motions. It's tough these days to find a judge who does both things well.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Kenney, not to be confused with Kearney, seems to lean into work life balance (spoke with a clerk recently who said they leave at 4:30 pm — earlier on Fridays).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:23 pm

Some judges I've heard consistently good things about:

- Clerks for Quattlebaum (CA4) all seem to really like him. Hiring is genuinely nonideological (he has hired clerks with clear liberal and clear conservative credentials on their resumes.) I've heard the hours are above the median in the circuit, but he's a pleasure to work with by all accounts.

- Scudder (CA7) is supposed to be an absolute gem - seems to prefer some sort of public service credential or interest (e.g. I've heard being ex-military is a major plus for him).

- Jill Pryor (CA11) is one of the few liberals (along with Jordan, Rosenbaum, Marcus) on a pretty conservative circuit, but clerks I've talked to enjoyed the experience.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:23 pm

- Clerks for Quattlebaum (CA4) all seem to really like him. Hiring is genuinely nonideological (he has hired clerks with clear liberal and clear conservative credentials on their resumes.) I've heard the hours are above the median in the circuit, but he's a pleasure to work with by all accounts.

- Scudder (CA7) is supposed to be an absolute gem - seems to prefer some sort of public service credential or interest (e.g. I've heard being ex-military is a major plus for him).

- Jill Pryor (CA11) is one of the few liberals (along with Jordan, Rosenbaum, Marcus) on a pretty conservative circuit, but clerks I've talked to enjoyed the experience.
I wouldn't necessarily call Marcus a liberal (more of a 90s Dem IMHO), but agreed, everyone I know who clerked for Jill Pryor really liked the experience.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:09 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

I wouldn't necessarily call Marcus a liberal (more of a 90s Dem IMHO), but agreed, everyone I know who clerked for Jill Pryor really liked the experience.
I wouldn't either. Wilson is more liberal than Marcus. Marcus is fairly middle of the road, if not slightly right leaning.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Marcus is a moderate Republican initially appointed by Reagan and elevated by Clinton in a deal with the GOP Senate. He is certainly the most moderate R on the 11th (a rather conservative court) but it's not an accident that he took senior status under Trump instead of Obama or Biden.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:07 am
Marcus is a moderate Republican initially appointed by Reagan and elevated by Clinton in a deal with the GOP Senate. He is certainly the most moderate R on the 11th (a rather conservative court) but it's not an accident that he took senior status under Trump instead of Obama or Biden.
Clearing the path for one of the worst circuit judges in the country to replace him. Not good.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah, he's left to the median Judge on the 11th circuit, but that's more a reflection of the 11th circuit and not his politics. I hear he tends to be very pro-government on criminal stuff.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:01 pm

lavarman84 wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:19 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Clearing the path for one of the worst circuit judges in the country to replace him. Not good.
Is Lagoa bad to work for, or is this just a disagreement with her politics? I have not heard anything problematic about her as a boss, and she's very well connected and sits in a desirable city.

throwawayt14

New

Post by throwawayt14 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:01 pm
lavarman84 wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:19 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Is Lagoa bad to work for, or is this just a disagreement with her politics? I have not heard anything problematic about her as a boss, and she's very well connected and sits in a desirable city.
I strongly suspect a disagreement with her politics

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:36 pm

Anybody have insight into clerking for donato on ndcal? He’s sort of a PITA to litigate before but idk the extent to which that translates to clerks

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”