Best and worst judges to clerk for Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Best and worst judges to clerk for

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 18, 2021 10:23 pm

I think she was known as a hot bench on CA2, which got some attention when she was nominated, but that doesn’t mean she treats her clerks badly. Easterbrook is a hellacious bench and treats his clerks well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 19, 2021 7:35 pm

Any info on Tuchi in AZ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 21, 2021 10:48 pm

Interested in applying to Robin Rosenbaum (Eleventh Circuit) among other 11th cir. But read in other forum she works clerks hard-it said until 11PM “routinely”. Is this true?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 22, 2021 1:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 10:48 pm
Interested in applying to Robin Rosenbaum (Eleventh Circuit) among other 11th cir. But read in other forum she works clerks hard-it said until 11PM “routinely”. Is this true?
Rosenbaum has kind of a hokey and bombastic writing style imo, and if you see a fight over collegiality when dissenting, etc. on the 11th she always seems to be involved, but I have no idea what her chambers is like

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 27, 2021 1:05 pm

Judge Nannette Brown from ED of LA is a big avoid. Others are welcome to elaborate -- I don't feel comfortable going into more detail and potentially outing someone. However, I haven't seen her mentioned so I feel obligated to warn others.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 27, 2021 9:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 1:05 pm
Judge Nannette Brown from ED of LA is a big avoid. Others are welcome to elaborate -- I don't feel comfortable going into more detail and potentially outing someone. However, I haven't seen her mentioned so I feel obligated to warn others.
Anyone from my school who applies to her is told firmly but certainly by the career office not to apply for this reason. I think I had 70+ judges on my initial app list, and she was the only one for whom a warning was merited.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 28, 2021 12:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 9:28 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 1:05 pm
Anyone from my school who applies to her is told firmly but certainly by the career office not to apply for this reason. I think I had 70+ judges on my initial app list, and she was the only one for whom a warning was merited.
Did they said why?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 28, 2021 11:45 am

Anon because obviously don't want to be identified by school. I talked to an alum of my school who said both she and her predecessor had a miserable year due to anger and name-calling, late nite phone calls, and a general lack of mentorship.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 7:35 pm
Any info on Tuchi in AZ?
Tuchi is absolutely beloved by clerks and his students alike. And I am neither a former clerk nor a former student- his reputation is just that good, and that widespread.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:41 am

There was some discussion of Daniel Collins on the 9th as being a bad judge to clerk for. Does anyone have any info on that or was it solely based on the LA Times article complaining that he dissents a lot? Because he's been immensely successful at that and has now gotten the Court to unanimously sign onto his reasoning twice in two years: https://twitter.com/fedjudges/status/13 ... 7719495686

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:41 am
There was some discussion of Daniel Collins on the 9th as being a bad judge to clerk for. Does anyone have any info on that or was it solely based on the LA Times article complaining that he dissents a lot? Because he's been immensely successful at that and has now gotten the Court to unanimously sign onto his reasoning twice in two years: https://twitter.com/fedjudges/status/13 ... 7719495686
I have heard he can be demanding and isn't super warm and fuzzy, but nothing actually bad.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:52 pm

Some SD Iowa intel from a recent clerk. Ebinger has a mixed reputation with the bar--smart but very formal which runs against the local culture--but is good to her clerks. Rose is probably the best clerkship and the best-regarded, but only does two-year terms. Jarvey is not hiring obviously. Pratt is public-interest-focused and a great guy but pretty senior now and maybe a little checked out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:52 pm
Some SD Iowa intel from a recent clerk. Ebinger has a mixed reputation with the bar--smart but very formal which runs against the local culture--but is good to her clerks. Rose is probably the best clerkship and the best-regarded, but only does two-year terms. Jarvey is not hiring obviously. Pratt is public-interest-focused and a great guy but pretty senior now and maybe a little checked out.
Thanks! What about the Northern District of Iowa? I've heard good things about Judge Williams and mixed things about Judge Reade, but nothing about Judge Strand. The Northern District also seems extraordinarily busy so info on work-life up there would be nice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:24 pm
Lynn Hughes on SD Tex just cot reversed by CA5 for generally being a crackpot.

https://www.ca5.uscourts.gov/opinions/p ... 53-CV0.pdf

He has had a couple of notable sexism controversies before, probably best to avoid.

Whatever help they've gotten Lynn Hughes seems to have worked for a short while:

"The judge also denounced the plaintiffs for equating the vaccine mandate to forced experimentation by the Nazis against Jewish people during the Holocaust. "Equating the injection requirement to medical experimentation in concentration camps is reprehensible," Hughes said. "Nazi doctors conducted medical experiments on victims that caused pain, mutilation, permanent disability, and in many cases, death.""

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... -dismissal

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:02 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:52 pm
Thanks! What about the Northern District of Iowa? I've heard good things about Judge Williams and mixed things about Judge Reade, but nothing about Judge Strand. The Northern District also seems extraordinarily busy so info on work-life up there would be nice.
Reade is a notoriously rough judge on criminal defendants and isn't very active. She might be a perfectly good boss--I don't know any Reade clerks--but from what I know she'd be my last choice of the Iowa judges.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:32 am

Anybody know what Lamberth is like?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:32 am
Anybody know what Lamberth is like?
Super Texan, loves UT. I don’t know anything else.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:42 pm

Any thoughts on Analisa Torres, Andrew Carter, or Ronnie Abrams? (SDNY),

Internationalist

New

Post by Internationalist » Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:42 pm
Any thoughts on Analisa Torres, Andrew Carter, or Ronnie Abrams? (SDNY),
Andrew Carter is amazing. Very thoughtful in general, but incredibly considerate of his clerks specifically.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:41 pm

Any thoughts on Chen (EDNY)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:28 pm

https://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/ ... -15498.pdf

Today would be a great day to dish on that Judge VanDyke orientation video.

(But then again, so would any other day.)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:41 pm
From my personal experience interacting with her, she's awesome and her clerks love her. She's smart and thoughtful, gives her clerks a lot of independence, and is a great mentor.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:51 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:41 pm
From my personal experience interacting with her, she's awesome and her clerks love her. She's smart and thoughtful, gives her clerks a lot of independence, and is a great mentor.
also heard she is an incredible mentor

GoneSouth

Bronze

Post by GoneSouth » Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:28 pm
https://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/ ... -15498.pdf

Today would be a great day to dish on that Judge VanDyke orientation video.

(But then again, so would any other day.)
This opinion is so unnecessarily personal toward Judge Fletcher. It’s telling that even Judge R. Nelson, who dissented from the panel opinion, did not join it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:51 am

GoneSouth wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:32 pm
This opinion is so unnecessarily personal toward Judge Fletcher. It’s telling that even Judge R. Nelson, who dissented from the panel opinion, did not join it.
It just boggles. Part of being a Circuit judge is being a repeat player. You'll have to work with these people for a large part of the rest of your life. Why start off this way?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”