Best and worst judges to clerk for Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Best and worst judges to clerk for

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:55 pm

lavarman84 wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:05 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:37 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:46 pm
But in that case it wouldn't be very onerous to write the published vs. unpublished opinion if you're in the majority. Unpublished opinions have only been around for a generation or so, published dissents have been around for much longer than 500 years.
Tell us you don't know how opinions vs. memorandum dispositions on the ninth work without telling us you don't know how they work. A mem dispo can be written in a day. Even the easiest opinion is significantly more work than that.
TBF to the first Anon, on other COAs, the unpublished opinions aren't that different from the published opinions. But yes, you're right. To the first anon, a memorandum disposition is generally 5 pages or less. (I'd say most of mine were 3-4 pages.) It's very cursory.
I know at least 2 and 5 also use extremely short unpublished opinions

Prosecutor

New

Post by Prosecutor » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:40 am

Who are the best judges to clerk for in CDCA (CDCal)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:55 pm
lavarman84 wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:05 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:37 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:46 pm
But in that case it wouldn't be very onerous to write the published vs. unpublished opinion if you're in the majority. Unpublished opinions have only been around for a generation or so, published dissents have been around for much longer than 500 years.
Tell us you don't know how opinions vs. memorandum dispositions on the ninth work without telling us you don't know how they work. A mem dispo can be written in a day. Even the easiest opinion is significantly more work than that.
TBF to the first Anon, on other COAs, the unpublished opinions aren't that different from the published opinions. But yes, you're right. To the first anon, a memorandum disposition is generally 5 pages or less. (I'd say most of mine were 3-4 pages.) It's very cursory.
I know at least 2 and 5 also use extremely short unpublished opinions
On 1, some of them are literally unpublished, as in they aren't even sent to Westlaw. You have to go on the docket to find the 1-2 sentences the panel wrote.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:48 pm

Prosecutor wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:40 am
Anonymous because I practice in LA and my spouse clerked on CD Cal. I have heard consistently good things about Gutierrez, Fitzgerald, and Birotte. Bernal is also good if you can deal with living in Riverside. Selna, Snyder, and Kronstadt are supposed to be very smart and good judges, but they work their clerks quite hard, or at least they did when they were on active status. It is possible that some of the Trump or Biden appointees may be good people to clerk for; I just don't know enough to say.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:48 pm
Prosecutor wrote:
Anonymous because I practice in LA and my spouse clerked on CD Cal. I have heard consistently good things about Gutierrez, Fitzgerald, and Birotte. Bernal is also good if you can deal with living in Riverside. Selna, Snyder, and Kronstadt are supposed to be very smart and good judges, but they work their clerks quite hard, or at least they did when they were on active status. It is possible that some of the Trump or Biden appointees may be good people to clerk for; I just don't know enough to say.
Can second the Birotte bit. Don't know about he deals with his clerks, but he is well known to, as a person, very personable and easy to talk to.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:09 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Prosecutor wrote:
Can second the Birotte bit. Don't know about he deals with his clerks, but he is well known to, as a person, very personable and easy to talk to.
Agree with Birotte. Have also heard through the grapevine that Frimpong (Biden appointee) is really great to work with and a good mentor. Her clerks work hard and a lot. Part of that may be the workload of new chambers, though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:10 pm

What makes a bad clerkship? Or what’s the difference between average, unenjoyable, bad, and nightmare? I have discovered my a3 boss is pretty testy and doesn’t have much patience for when i don’t know something or make a mistake, and on top of that he/she is just not very nice (completely uninterested in making any sort of small talk, never says hi or bye when arriving/leaving chambers). And screaming is rare but it happens according to other clerks (haven’t had it happen to me yet). Is this a pretty average experience or was i suckered into a bad clerkship…like i can’t tell if i am just a bad clerk or it’s boss’s personality that’s making this a bad time. Kinda sucks because i had options….

Edit: i know enough to know this isn’t a nightmare clerkship but am curious what the spectrum is like

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:10 pm
What makes a bad clerkship? Or what’s the difference between average, unenjoyable, bad, and nightmare? I have discovered my a3 boss is pretty testy and doesn’t have much patience for when i don’t know something or make a mistake, and on top of that he/she is just not very nice (completely uninterested in making any sort of small talk, never says hi or bye when arriving/leaving chambers). And screaming is rare but it happens according to other clerks (haven’t had it happen to me yet). Is this a pretty average experience or was i suckered into a bad clerkship…like i can’t tell if i am just a bad clerk or it’s boss’s personality that’s making this a bad time. Kinda sucks because i had options….

Edit: i know enough to know this isn’t a nightmare clerkship but am curious what the spectrum is like
I feel like it’s a pretty broad spectrum. On the one hand, you can get chairs thrown at you (pretty sure this was Holmes on the 10th? Not sure) or you can get a screamer. There are some judges that aren’t great mentors, in that they’ll be pretty lazy/not intellectual enough to teach you anything substantively.

The judge that I clerked for had amazing qualities, but was very frustrating in some areas (reticence to actually try cases to the point of severe delay). However, my experience never involved yelling, impatience, whatever you’re describing. I’ve heard of a handful in the district/circuit who are impatient/make their clerks work long hours though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Berman at the height of his worst was just like outwardly mean to his clerks and insulted them and then fired them so if I had to make a guess that is a bad clerkship.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I'd say an average clerkship is one where the judge treats the clerks well enough but doesn't go out of their way to spend time with them or mentor them. The clerks probably work more than 40 hours per week, but they aren't working an insane schedule.

I'd say a bad clerkship is one where a judge mistreats their clerks and/or makes them work unreasonable hours or makes them work long hours and pays zero attention to them.

I'd say a nightmare clerkship is one where a judge is actively cruel to their clerks, makes them work long hours, and will fire people for arbitrary reasons.

So I'd say your experience sounds like a bad clerkship, FWIW.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:27 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Prosecutor wrote:
Agree with Birotte. Have also heard through the grapevine that Frimpong (Biden appointee) is really great to work with and a good mentor. Her clerks work hard and a lot. Part of that may be the workload of new chambers, though.
Will fourth the Birotte mention. One of the nicest judges I've interacted with. Wonderful boss and mentor and his clerks work pretty reasonable hours. Heard mixed things about Gutierrez. Fitzgerald is also pleasant but his clerks word very hard. Snyder's case load is somewhat reduced but she's very thorough. Not sure what Kronstadt's will look like now that he's senior, but he also was a difficult clerkship. Selna is probably the best clerkship in Santa Ana. The Trump appointees are a mixed bag from what I've heard.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:59 pm

Long hours are often outside of the judge’s control to an extent—every active SDNY clerkship is bad by that metric—but being a nice person obviously is. I think your situation seems not ideal, and considerably worse than normal, but I think you should try to focus on the positives to the extent possible for the sake of your own well-being.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:26 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Prosecutor wrote:
Will fourth the Birotte mention. One of the nicest judges I've interacted with. Wonderful boss and mentor and his clerks work pretty reasonable hours. Heard mixed things about Gutierrez. Fitzgerald is also pleasant but his clerks word very hard. Snyder's case load is somewhat reduced but she's very thorough. Not sure what Kronstadt's will look like now that he's senior, but he also was a difficult clerkship. Selna is probably the best clerkship in Santa Ana. The Trump appointees are a mixed bag from what I've heard.

Why do you have Selna over Carney?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:04 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Prosecutor wrote:

Quoted anon. First, now that Selna is senior, the obvious benefits of a reduced and more desirable caseload in a still very busy district. Second, Selna is universally liked by the other judges in the district. I've met Carney a few times and he seems very nice as well but a few recent stories (along with others I've heard) show he's not always that nice. The debacle stemming from his brief time as chief showed a very significant lapse in judgment on his part. His grandstanding about holding jury trials during the middle of the pandemic was also extremely questionable. I mean, he dismissed those indictments with prejudice simply as a FU to the rest of the district and the Ninth Circuit didn't look kindly upon that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Prosecutor wrote:
Wilson's rocket docket means it's a busy clerkship, but he's a great chambers experience (ignore the Robing Room reviews, court demeanor=/=chambers) and you see a ton of interesting stuff as a result of the pace.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:32 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:04 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Prosecutor wrote:

Quoted anon. First, now that Selna is senior, the obvious benefits of a reduced and more desirable caseload in a still very busy district. Second, Selna is universally liked by the other judges in the district. I've met Carney a few times and he seems very nice as well but a few recent stories (along with others I've heard) show he's not always that nice. The debacle stemming from his brief time as chief showed a very significant lapse in judgment on his part. His grandstanding about holding jury trials during the middle of the pandemic was also extremely questionable. I mean, he dismissed those indictments with prejudice simply as a FU to the rest of the district and the Ninth Circuit didn't look kindly upon that.
I was the original posted who suggested Birotte and I agree with all of this (although I think Carney is still probably a decent judge to clerk for). The reality is that there are very few judges in CD Cal who are both nice, pleasant people and also offer a reasonable work-life balance. Some of that is caseload-driven, but my experience is that the court features more difficult personalities than you see on the other CA district courts.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:12 pm

Any insight on any of the Trump Texas judges circuit/district—this includes personality and politics wise. I'm from Texas and want to return and am fairly open to applying broadly ideological wise but it'd be helpful if anyone knew of the Trump Texas judges that have reps for being very bad personality or ideological wise—especially the district judges who get somewhat less press.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:12 pm
Any insight on any of the Trump Texas judges circuit/district—this includes personality and politics wise. I'm from Texas and want to return and am fairly open to applying broadly ideological wise but it'd be helpful if anyone knew of the Trump Texas judges that have reps for being very bad personality or ideological wise—especially the district judges who get somewhat less press.
Tipton is insane

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:51 pm

Brown, Tipton, Kacsmaryk, and Barker have issued PIs against major Biden programs. I have heard good things about Brown and Hendrix.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:51 pm
Brown, Tipton, Kacsmaryk, and Barker have issued PIs against major Biden programs. I have heard good things about Brown and Hendrix.
Brown's clerkship is fantastic. He is a great boss, hours are good, and he is genuinely fun to be around. He, Kacsmaryk, and Starr are among the most well respected of the recently appointed Texas District Judges. Kacsmaryk, Tipton, and Albright are the most likely to draw an ideological eyebrow raise, but none of them are (yet) akin on that score to, e.g., VanDyke on the CA9 (or even Ho/Duncan). Judge Pulliam is also a great boss and a good clerkship.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:29 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Brown's clerkship is fantastic. He is a great boss, hours are good, and he is genuinely fun to be around. He, Kacsmaryk, and Starr are among the most well respected of the recently appointed Texas District Judges. Kacsmaryk, Tipton, and Albright are the most likely to draw an ideological eyebrow raise, but none of them are (yet) akin on that score to, e.g., VanDyke on the CA9 (or even Ho/Duncan). Judge Pulliam is also a great boss and a good clerkship.
Kacsmaryk is respected? Are we talking outside FedSoc circles? This is a dude who issued such a ridiculous decision in the Remain in Mexico case that even the far-right Republican Supreme Court refused to uphold it. (Of course, they remanded it back to give him another opportunity to issue a bad faith decision.) I've heard that Hendrix is respected, even outside FedSoc circles, but I'd be surprised to hear that about Kacsmaryk.

I don't think I could respect any of the Trump judges down there issuing unhinged injunctions to hijack control of immigration policy away from the Executive. (Of course, ideology is separate from whether it's a good clerkship. But it sounds like the person who asked the question isn't conservative and doesn't want to clerk for a right-wing ideologue.)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:01 pm

lavarman84 wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:32 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:29 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Kacsmaryk is respected? Are we talking outside FedSoc circles? This is a dude who issued such a ridiculous decision in the Remain in Mexico case that even the far-right Republican Supreme Court refused to uphold it. (Of course, they remanded it back to give him another opportunity to issue a bad faith decision.) I've heard that Hendrix is respected, even outside FedSoc circles, but I'd be surprised to hear that about Kacsmaryk.

I don't think I could respect any of the Trump judges down there issuing unhinged injunctions to hijack control of immigration policy away from the Executive. (Of course, ideology is separate from whether it's a good clerkship. But it sounds like the person who asked the question isn't conservative and doesn't want to clerk for a right-wing ideologue.)
We already have plenty of evidence to suggest you don't respect many FedSoc judges, which is fine, but a bit tiresome when almost every single thread is hijacked by you with a claim that some judge you don't like is unhinged or insane or you personally don't like them and SCOTUS, which is generally irrelevant to the main question.

And yes, Kacsmaryk is extremely conservative and still respected, especially within Texas. If you aren't comfortable with that, you weren't getting hired by him in the first place. Everything the first poster said about the judges is accurate.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:01 pm
We already have plenty of evidence to suggest you don't respect many FedSoc judges, which is fine, but a bit tiresome when almost every single thread is hijacked by you with a claim that some judge you don't like is unhinged or insane or you personally don't like them and SCOTUS, which is generally irrelevant to the main question.

And yes, Kacsmaryk is extremely conservative and still respected, especially within Texas. If you aren't comfortable with that, you weren't getting hired by him in the first place. Everything the first poster said about the judges is accurate.
Unlike yourself, I'm attempting to help out the OP, as a liberal poster who clerked for a conservative judge. The OP asked about the Texas Trump judges and wants to see which ones aren't extreme ideologically. Kacsmaryk is an ideologue. Feel free to continue hiding behind the Anon account and not offering helpful information.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:24 pm

lavarman84 wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:14 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Unlike yourself, I'm attempting to help out the OP, as a liberal poster who clerked for a conservative judge. The OP asked about the Texas Trump judges and wants to see which ones aren't extreme ideologically. Kacsmaryk is an ideologue. Feel free to continue hiding behind the Anon account and not offering helpful information.
Yes, we know, you've mentioned it about a dozen times on this thread alone. Presumably, it was someone like Milan Smith or Rick Clifton, but it doesn't really matter, as it isn't remotely relevant to the actual topic most of the time.

I'm anonymous because I'm currently clerking at one of the courthouses mentioned above and know what I'm talking about, like the original responder. And OP asked who was more ideologically extreme, which the previous poster adequately answered. Kacsmaryk is extremely conservative. On that note, most of the Texas Trump judges are - Counts is the only one I would call moderate off the top of my head, maybe Rodriguez, but I'm not too familiar with him. Eskridge is also a great judge to clerk for.

Going on a rant about the Supreme Court and your own misguided opinions as to which judges are and are not respected and whether or not you like them is not helpful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:24 pm
lavarman84 wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:14 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Yes, we know, you've mentioned it about a dozen times on this thread alone. Presumably, it was someone like Milan Smith or Rick Clifton, but it doesn't really matter, as it isn't remotely relevant to the actual topic most of the time.

I'm anonymous because I'm currently clerking at one of the courthouses mentioned above and know what I'm talking about. And OP asked who was more ideologically extreme, which the previous poster adequately answered. Going on a rant about the Supreme Court and your own misguided opinions as to which judges are and are not respected and whether or not you like them is not helpful.
Different poster and to get somewhat back on topic, is Kacymaryk also well-respected by practitioners/the legal community in general? I've just heard that he's not the ideal judge because he's super ideological, but it's not like I've surveyed every lawyer in Texas - guess he could be a nice person to clerks/if you're on his wavelength.

OP, I'd just apply to all the Texas judges that you wouldn't hate clerking for after spending like 2 minutes looking them up on Wikipedia. Many of the very ideological ones won't hire you anyways without something in your app that suggests you're on the same page as them, and if they do reach out for an interview, you can worry about crossing that bridge when you get to it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”