Best and worst judges to clerk for Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Best and worst judges to clerk for

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:50 pm

Lynn Hughes continues to be the worst judge in America: https://twitter.com/RMFifthCircuit/stat ... iCkOVineDA

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:22 pm

Fwiw I’ve heard a rumor from a conservative legal movement insider that Justice Thomas has hired Crystal Clanton, the controversial Pryor clerk

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:22 pm
Fwiw I’ve heard a rumor from a conservative legal movement insider that Justice Thomas has hired Crystal Clanton, the controversial Pryor clerk
That would be the least surprising news ever, considering he got Pryor to hire her. At least it's another cudgel to use against Thomas and this "Court."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:18 pm

lavarman84 wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:27 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
That would be the least surprising news ever, considering he got Pryor to hire her. At least it's another cudgel to use against Thomas and this "Court."

I hadn’t heard this, and I think the only person who has commented on it recently is David Lat, who said he wouldn’t be surprised if she was hired.

Whether or not it’s true, that Justice Thomas believes in the person he took into his house, mentored, and guided through a proven false media hit job, is not surprising and a further display of what a wonderful person he is. (On that note, has anyone checked in with Ruth Marcus - she stated that she was going to “get to the bottom of this” when the exoneration came out and then never spoke about it again)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:18 pm
lavarman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I hadn’t heard this, and I think the only person who has commented on it recently is David Lat, who said he wouldn’t be surprised if she was hired.

Whether or not it’s true, that Justice Thomas believes in the person he took into his house, mentored, and guided through a proven false media hit job, is not surprising and a further display of what a wonderful person he is. (On that note, has anyone checked in with Ruth Marcus - she stated that she was going to “get to the bottom of this” when the exoneration came out and then never spoke about it again)
This matter is now under further investigation by a judicial committee with subpoena power so I imagine the truth will come out eventually

https://www.abajournal.com/news/article ... statements

Also lol @ remembering that the Pryor Clanton hire originally broke on TLS and got picked up by ATL like immediately

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:55 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This matter is now under further investigation by a judicial committee with subpoena power so I imagine the truth will come out eventually

https://www.abajournal.com/news/article ... statements

Also lol @ remembering that the Pryor Clanton hire originally broke on TLS and got picked up by ATL like immediately
While I have serious doubts about the propriety of this new investigation (the opinion was not convincing), I will retract my exonerated comment for now. A little surprised Lat hasn’t written about it more (as far as I know).
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Nice. I can appreciate good satire, Anon. :lol:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:09 am

How are Lee and Perez on CA2?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:09 am
How are Lee and Perez on CA2?
Someone from Brennan has had nothing but terrible things to say about Perez, and she isn’t that well liked by her students at Columbia.

Don’t know anything about Lee except that she didn’t know basic civpro questions at her confirmation, which was a bit embarrassing .

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:54 am

lavarman84 wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:16 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
:lol: to be fair, everything I’ve heard is that Thomas treats his clerks really well. (Though I have no inside information about this at all.) In that context, it isn’t surprising that he would do this, and is a good example of loyalty/support for a mentee.

Whether he’s a wonderful person is a whole separate question.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:52 pm

nixy wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:54 am
lavarman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
:lol: to be fair, everything I’ve heard is that Thomas treats his clerks really well. (Though I have no inside information about this at all.) In that context, it isn’t surprising that he would do this, and is a good example of loyalty/support for a mentee.

Justice Thomas is a good boss and he's beloved by his clerks. Whether you like his jurisprudence is a wholly different matter.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:54 pm

nixy wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Oh no, I'm not disagreeing that Thomas is wonderful towards the people who think like him. I've heard great things about him as a boss, and he's apparently a very likable person. I'm laughing at the idea that it was a "proven false media hit job."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:52 pm
nixy wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Justice Thomas is a good boss and he's beloved by his clerks. Whether you like his jurisprudence is a wholly different matter.

+1

My understanding is that he’s a fantastic boss :P

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:35 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
nixy wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

+1

I'm sure Anita Hill would agree :P

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:48 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:35 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
nixy wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

+1

I'm sure Anita Hill would agree :P
Would be curious to hear Tara Reade's thoughts :P

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:42 pm

curious if anyone has insight into what it's like clerking for the current NDIL judges (particularly the trump appointees like pacold, seeger, kness)? also is NDIL generally less busy than, say, SDNY/EDNY (if looking for a slightly more work-life balanced district court clerkship)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:42 pm
curious if anyone has insight into what it's like clerking for the current NDIL judges (particularly the trump appointees like pacold, seeger, kness)? also is NDIL generally less busy than, say, SDNY/EDNY (if looking for a slightly more work-life balanced district court clerkship)?
Pacold and Seeger are supposed to be really good. Pacold hires people with Fed Soc COAs, Seeger doesn’t hire ideologically. I can’t speak to Kness. NDIL is definitely less busy than SDNY, not sure about versus EDNY, which also has a sub-SDNY workload.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:42 pm
Can only speak to Pacold, but she's a great person. I would also watch her as someone who could emerge as a district court feeder on the right, not on the level of a Friedrich, but somewhat regularly popping up in conjunction with the big COA conservative feeders. I suspect she will be the next Republican nominee to CA7 from Illinois.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:26 pm

I don’t think “Engelhardt and Oldham use weird procedural gimmicks to hurt Democrats” is news at this point but there’s another one

https://mobile.twitter.com/RMFifthCircu ... 7187636226

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:26 pm
I don’t think “Engelhardt and Oldham use weird procedural gimmicks to hurt Democrats” is news at this point but there’s another one

https://mobile.twitter.com/RMFifthCircu ... 7187636226
Oldham is a cancer to the judiciary.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:05 pm

lavarman84 wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:54 pm
nixy wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Oh no, I'm not disagreeing that Thomas is wonderful towards the people who think like him. I've heard great things about him as a boss, and he's apparently a very likable person. I'm laughing at the idea that it was a "proven false media hit job."
Sotomayor explicitly talks about Thomas being a wonderful person towards people who don't think like him.
https://twitter.com/cspan/status/153781 ... 26?lang=en

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:22 pm

Chief Judge Diane Sykes recently denied without explanation an unopposed motion to delay oral argument in a case after the lead attorney's wife miscarried.

https://abovethelaw.com/2022/09/cruel-s ... scarriage/

(The motion and order are on page 2 of the above link)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:31 pm
Chokenhauer wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:20 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:10 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:23 am
Generally have heard bad things about the the SDFL Trump judges, in terms of hours and chambers culture.
Not the one who posted this, but have heard wonderful things about Altman, Singhal, and Smith. Mixed but mostly positive about Ruiz. Heard Cannon is terrible.
I’m always a sucker for stories about terrible district judges. (It’s the best part of gossiping with fellow clerks). Any specifics on why she’s terrible?
Without getting into specifics, super long hours, isolates herself, unfriendly, over-works her staff.
Can confirm based on those in the know around the SDFL that Cannon is a terrible boss. Everything I’ve heard is that the chambers environment is borderline toxic in that she is belittling, passive (and overtly) aggressive (not just to her staff but also other judges at times), requires ungodly hours, and expects staff to be responsive 24/7. I have heard that some staff have quit as a result.

This to say nothing of her blatantly incorrect/biased opinion in the Trump case. Those with options should definitely think about whether a clerkship with her is worth putting up with that environment.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:53 pm

Elizabeth Branch joined the YLS boycott—she’s pretty obscure, so I doubt it’ll change anything, but I was surprised someone with a fairly nonideological background took such a hard stand

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:53 pm
Elizabeth Branch joined the YLS boycott—she’s pretty obscure, so I doubt it’ll change anything, but I was surprised someone with a fairly nonideological background took such a hard stand
“Nonideological background”

Worked as a senior official for Bush for 4 years

Fed Soc weirdo for 20 years, 10 years of which has been in leadership roles in Georgia

Praised Scalia’s dissent in Lawrence

Wanted to gut Section 2 of the VRA

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”