Best and worst judges to clerk for Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Best and worst judges to clerk for

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:34 pm

Different poster and to get somewhat back on topic, is Kacymaryk also well-respected by practitioners/the legal community in general? I've just heard that he's not the ideal judge because he's super ideological, but it's not like I've surveyed every lawyer in Texas - guess he could be a nice person to clerks/if you're on his wavelength.

OP, I'd just apply to all the Texas judges that you wouldn't hate clerking for after spending like 2 minutes looking them up on Wikipedia. Many of the very ideological ones won't hire you anyways without something in your app that suggests you're on the same page as them, and if they do reach out for an interview, you can worry about crossing that bridge when you get to it.
The legal community where I'm at has no issues with him, though I suppose I never asked about his demeanor before litigants. I've worked with a few of his clerks, and I know he's extremely well connected politically. But again, if you are not looking for a very conservative judge, do not clerk for him. He definitely prefers Texas locals, I believe he's hired a few from his alma mater, and some from Baylor.

I mainly commented because it is tiresome to see one poster continually disparage judges they know little about other than that they disagree with them and then use it as a basis to go on off-topic digressions about the Supreme Court.

For OP, I should also mention I've heard good things about Sean Jordan, and he might be less ideological in hiring, as I know he hired someone that never came across to me as a fire-breathing conservative by any means.

polareagle

Bronze

Post by polareagle » Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:12 am
Anonymous User wrote:

Different poster and to get somewhat back on topic, is Kacymaryk also well-respected by practitioners/the legal community in general? I've just heard that he's not the ideal judge because he's super ideological, but it's not like I've surveyed every lawyer in Texas - guess he could be a nice person to clerks/if you're on his wavelength.

OP, I'd just apply to all the Texas judges that you wouldn't hate clerking for after spending like 2 minutes looking them up on Wikipedia. Many of the very ideological ones won't hire you anyways without something in your app that suggests you're on the same page as them, and if they do reach out for an interview, you can worry about crossing that bridge when you get to it.
The legal community where I'm at has no issues with him, though I suppose I never asked about his demeanor before litigants. I've worked with a few of his clerks, and I know he's extremely well connected politically. But again, if you are not looking for a very conservative judge, do not clerk for him. He definitely prefers Texas locals, I believe he's hired a few from his alma mater, and some from Baylor.

I mainly commented because it is tiresome to see one poster continually disparage judges they know little about other than that they disagree with them and then use it as a basis to go on off-topic digressions about the Supreme Court.

For OP, I should also mention I've heard good things about Sean Jordan, and he might be less ideological in hiring, as I know he hired someone that never came across to me as a fire-breathing conservative by any means.
I've got no dog in this particular fight, but what does the first bolded statement mean in light of the second bolded statement? To put it more precisely, what impression does the legal community where you're at have of the judge?

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I was prepared not to respond after the previous comment, but since you're continuing with your tantrum, my "off-topic digression[] about the Supreme Court" was specifically discussing a case Kacsmaryk decided (that is relevant to his ideology). Enjoy your night, aggrieved FedSoc bro.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:11 am

polareagle wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:30 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I've got no dog in this particular fight, but what does the first bolded statement mean in light of the second bolded statement? To put it more precisely, what impression does the legal community where you're at have of the judge?
I'm not the person you're replying to, but it seems pretty clear he's a clerk talking about how others in the courthouse (judges, clerks, staff, even AUSA's) perceive the judge. I know the reputation of each of the dozen judges in the courthouse I currently work in, but because I very rarely see any judge other than mine on the bench, I'd be similarly hard-pressed to guarantee that someone I recommend as a "good judge" is actually pleasant to appear before. Some judges who are brilliant and wonderful as bosses irritate the hell out of actual lawyers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:27 am

lavarman84 wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:32 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:29 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:51 pm
Brown, Tipton, Kacsmaryk, and Barker have issued PIs against major Biden programs. I have heard good things about Brown and Hendrix.
Brown's clerkship is fantastic. He is a great boss, hours are good, and he is genuinely fun to be around. He, Kacsmaryk, and Starr are among the most well respected of the recently appointed Texas District Judges. Kacsmaryk, Tipton, and Albright are the most likely to draw an ideological eyebrow raise, but none of them are (yet) akin on that score to, e.g., VanDyke on the CA9 (or even Ho/Duncan). Judge Pulliam is also a great boss and a good clerkship.
Kacsmaryk is respected? Are we talking outside FedSoc circles? This is a dude who issued such a ridiculous decision in the Remain in Mexico case that even the far-right Republican Supreme Court refused to uphold it. (Of course, they remanded it back to give him another opportunity to issue a bad faith decision.) I've heard that Hendrix is respected, even outside FedSoc circles, but I'd be surprised to hear that about Kacsmaryk.

I don't think I could respect any of the Trump judges down there issuing unhinged injunctions to hijack control of immigration policy away from the Executive. (Of course, ideology is separate from whether it's a good clerkship. But it sounds like the person who asked the question isn't conservative and doesn't want to clerk for a right-wing ideologue.)
Original poster asking the Texas question. Yes, I don't want to clerk for a right-wing ideologue. Politically I'd say I'm actually more akin to John Kaisich—whatever that means these days, which feels like nothing. Voted for Kaisich in the 2016 primary and am now a registered Democrat. I'll stop there, this is only to give context. I'm fine clerking for someone conservative, even much more right wing than me, but I am increasingly concerned by the increasing trend of some of these Trump ideologues especially on the Fifth Circuit circuit/district courts that are essentially insane right wing lackeys. Would like to avoid those if possible.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:43 am

Most of the Trump appointees in Texas district courts are right-wing ideologues, including Brown who enjoined enforcement of the vaccine requirement for federal employees. The two who stick out as more moderate are Eskridge in Houston and Hendrix in Lubbock, who was originally nominated by Obama.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:43 am
Most of the Trump appointees in Texas district courts are right-wing ideologues, including Brown who enjoined enforcement of the vaccine requirement for federal employees. The two who stick out as more moderate are Eskridge in Houston and Hendrix in Lubbock, who was originally nominated by Obama.

My school's clerkship office told me the same thing when I was applying for district court clerkships - many (if not most) of the Trump appointees are pretty ideological and looking for ideological clerks, but there are some that might not care. They recommended Fernando Rodriguez in S.D. Tex. as one that doesn't seem like a partisan warrior (he worked for an anti-human trafficking NGO before taking the bench + no Democrats voted against him when he was confirmed back in 2018). I didn't get a bite from him when I applied, but OP it might be worth a shot.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Lol I was talking to a prominent fedsoc Circuit judge&feeder recently (admittedly not CA5) who had some more than colorful things to privately say about one of Kacsmaryk's more prominent recent decisions. I don't know what sort of legal community you're in, but I don't think a guy like that has a universally good rep--even within conservative circles. The weird TX cabal is very sui generis, and looked upon with some significant shade even amongst the very conservative DC type folks. A Kacsmaryk clerkship, I would think, would not be terribly portable beyond TX--probably why he has trouble attracting national applicants and is hiring locally. There is still a difference between (1) decisions which are ideologically controversial and (2) those which have no basis in any plausible law. There aren't that many judges, even amongst the most conservative Trump crop, who are routinely doing the second category. He's one of them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:15 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Lol I was talking to a prominent fedsoc Circuit judge&feeder recently (admittedly not CA5) who had some more than colorful things to privately say about one of Kacsmaryk's more prominent recent decisions. I don't know what sort of legal community you're in, but I don't think a guy like that has a universally good rep--even within conservative circles. The weird TX cabal is very sui generis, and looked upon with some significant shade even amongst the very conservative DC type folks. A Kacsmaryk clerkship, I would think, would not be terribly portable beyond TX--probably why he has trouble attracting national applicants and is hiring locally. There is still a difference between (1) decisions which are ideologically controversial and (2) those which have no basis in any plausible law. There aren't that many judges, even amongst the most conservative Trump crop, who are routinely doing the second category. He's one of them.
I am not sure he has trouble hiring "national applicants." I think when he hires "locally," he is hiring clerks interested in from/staying/working in Texas. He's had several T14 (including several T6) clerks and he's hired out until 2025. Plus, it's pretty common for TX judges to hire from UT. Baylor is more of an outlier, but somewhat common with certain judges (especially E.D. Tex.).

As for portability, aren't most district court clerkships not particularly portable in some special way? I would think a district court clerkship is a district court clerkship and portability is relatively constant (at least outside of the notable districts).
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:45 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I am not sure he has trouble hiring "national applicants." I think when he hires "locally," he is hiring clerks interested in from/staying/working in Texas. He's had several T14 (including several T6) clerks and he's hired out until 2025. Plus, it's pretty common for TX judges to hire from UT. Baylor is more of an outlier, but somewhat common with certain judges (especially E.D. Tex.).

As for portability, aren't most district court clerkships not particularly portable in some special way? I would think a district court clerkship is a district court clerkship and portability is relatively constant (at least outside of the notable districts).
I think the portability point was intended to be about how folks outside of TX will view your judge/clerkship and how his reputation might look outside of TX, not a statement about the general value of district court clerkship. When there's this much controversy over someone, I also tend to think that a hiring partner not familiar with them will default to some of the google searches + implications, which is probably not favorable in most circumstances

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:09 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:45 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I think the portability point was intended to be about how folks outside of TX will view your judge/clerkship and how his reputation might look outside of TX, not a statement about the general value of district court clerkship. When there's this much controversy over someone, I also tend to think that a hiring partner not familiar with them will default to some of the google searches + implications, which is probably not favorable in most circumstances
That's understandable. I would tend to agree.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Brown is not an idealogue and has hired plenty of liberals. Kacsmaryk, on the other hand, hasn't done that to my knowledge (and wouldn't in my opinion). Brown is very well-respected in all Texas legal circles, and even the vax decision isn't gonna draw enough negative national or google attention to matter. Kacsmaryk, on the other hand, probably would be an eyebrow raise for many--especially outside of Texas. For FedSoc types that is a plus, though. For the OP of this questions, Brown would be fine but Kacsmaryk probably isn't who you're looking for.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Kernodle seems to have a “normal” rep as well, as does Ada Brown. Eskridge has a very normal resume and I’ve heard that he attracts some nationally strong clerks. Pittman got an injunction lawsuit and tossed it, though his opinion did bend over backwards to emphasize his sympathy for the unvaxxed.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:50 pm

Are there any classic/normal think Roberts (so still decidedly right-wing) GOP appointed Fifth Circuit Judges? Bonus if they are in Texas, but can be in Louisiana or Mississippi too (this is the OP who asked about district judges).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:50 pm
Are there any classic/normal think Roberts (so still decidedly right-wing) GOP appointed Fifth Circuit Judges? Bonus if they are in Texas, but can be in Louisiana or Mississippi too (this is the OP who asked about district judges).
Richman, Haynes, and Higginbotham all have a penchant for centrism, though are also decidedly conservative.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Maybe Judge Smith? Wouldn't call him a "Roberts" conservative, but he's a generation removed from the younger Trump appointees, so less laser-focused on strict originalism/textualism at the expense of precedent. (Others may disagree.)

I would have said Judge Elrod but my impression is she (wrongly) believes she has a shot at SCOTUS and is really trying to up her national conservative creds

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:10 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Maybe Judge Smith? Wouldn't call him a "Roberts" conservative, but he's a generation removed from the younger Trump appointees, so less laser-focused on strict originalism/textualism at the expense of precedent. (Others may disagree.)

I would have said Judge Elrod but my impression is she (wrongly) believes she has a shot at SCOTUS and is really trying to up her national conservative creds
Elrod and Smith are both very very conservative. Not Roberts-esque at all.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Of the active judges, Haynes. Higginbottham is another great suggestion. I'd say he's actually moderate. While Willett clearly isn't like Roberts, I think he's more reasonable than the other Trump appointees, personally. I even find myself agreeing with him from time to time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:27 pm

lavarman84 wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:24 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Of the active judges, Haynes. Higginbottham is another great suggestion. I'd say he's actually moderate. While Willett clearly isn't like Roberts, I think he's more reasonable than the other Trump appointees, personally. I even find myself agreeing with him from time to time.
Yeah not sure I’d call Higginbotham conservative. He’s also a former big feeder and well-regarded.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:27 pm
lavarman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yeah not sure I’d call Higginbotham conservative. He’s also a former big feeder and well-regarded.
HIgginbotham is definitely a good bit to the left of the median judge (Elrod or Richman) on the 5th. He might be less conservative than Roberts.

Southwick, Haynes, and Clement (who's senior now) are center-right GW Bush appointees, slightly to the left of the Richman/Elrod median, but definitely conservative by national standards.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:55 am
Anonymous User wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
HIgginbotham is definitely a good bit to the left of the median judge (Elrod or Richman) on the 5th. He might be less conservative than Roberts.

Southwick, Haynes, and Clement (who's senior now) are center-right GW Bush appointees, slightly to the left of the Richman/Elrod median, but definitely conservative by national standards.
What do you make of the Southwick controversy as seen on his Wikipedia page? Certainly seems like a red flag.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:06 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:55 am
Anonymous User wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What do you make of the Southwick controversy as seen on his Wikipedia page? Certainly seems like a red flag.
I think Southwick's judicial record--both the two state court decisions that came under criticism during his hearings and his 15 year record on the 5th Cir--speak for themselves. Southwick has consistently been one of the most moderate R appointees on the court, including on race/civil rights and employment discrimination issues. I think it's fair to criticize Southwick for anything he's written, and I think it's also fair to look at those decisions in the context of Mississippi precedent from 25 years ago.

The politics surrounding Southwick's appointment were also white-hot, which gives context to why his record got such heavy public scrutiny. Bush's first two nominees to the seat were rejected despite Republicans controlling the Senate, and then Southwick was confirmed ever so narrowly while Democrats controlled the Senate. Southwick wrote an entire book about his confirmation process, which is worth a read, especially if you're considering whether he's someone worth applying to.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:27 pm

Anyone know anything about M. Lauck? Her OSCAR posting is a little ridiculous - your recommenders have to specifically reference 2023? An online application AND a paper application? - which always makes me wary.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:29 am

Locher will be a great clerkship for those interested in the Midwest

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:24 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:10 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Elrod and Smith are both very very conservative. Not Roberts-esque at all.
Doesn't Elrod routinely take counter-clerks or am I just completely confusing her for someone else?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”