Clerks Taking Questions Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:53 am

Original anon. Thanks. Guess the point still stands as why not reapply because there is zero to lose and a future clerk class might like you more (as some have said on here happened in their cases). This might only apply if you just interviewed with the clerks and not the judge. If judge interviewed then yes chances seem slimmer by your reasoning

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:53 am
Original anon. Thanks. Guess the point still stands as why not reapply because there is zero to lose and a future clerk class might like you more (as some have said on here happened in their cases). This might only apply if you just interviewed with the clerks and not the judge. If judge interviewed then yes chances seem slimmer by your reasoning
I'm assuming this is about Chief Judge Tymkovich-- reapply.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:14 pm

I am interested in appellate work in biglaw. I have a federal district court clerkship lined up after I graduate, and am working in a major office of a V10 this summer. I'm worried I'm kinda on the fringe for COA clerkships (~top 25-30% of T10, LR, K-JD) and if I don't have that appellate clerkship experience, it will really limit my ability to do appellate work at my firm. Should I shoot for a state supreme court clerkship after my federal district court clerkship if I can't land a federal circuit court clerkship? Or should I go back to my firm for a year or two after my first clerkship and then reapply for federal COA?

cheaptilts

Silver

Post by cheaptilts » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:14 pm
I am interested in appellate work in biglaw. I have a federal district court clerkship lined up after I graduate, and am working in a major office of a V10 this summer. I'm worried I'm kinda on the fringe for COA clerkships (~top 25-30% of T10, LR, K-JD) and if I don't have that appellate clerkship experience, it will really limit my ability to do appellate work at my firm. Should I shoot for a state supreme court clerkship after my federal district court clerkship if I can't land a federal circuit court clerkship? Or should I go back to my firm for a year or two after my first clerkship and then reapply for federal COA?
The latter.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
My impression is that a state Supreme Court clerkship probably isn’t going to be anymore helpful for getting into a V10 appellate group than a district court clerkship

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:43 am

I don't know if biglaw appellate is a realistic enough goal from your school/grades that you should make major life decisions based on it. If appellate is more important to you than biglaw, non-biglaw appellate (e.g. at a major regional firm or in government) is probably more doable and may or may not affect the calculation depending on your target state(s). Or vice versa if biglaw is more important than appellate definitely do #2.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Unless you're at an incredibly select appellate boutique, even if you are in the appellate group at a firm, you'll be doing some general litigation as well. Likewise, if you're at a big law firm doing general litigation, you can still network with attorneys in the appellate practice group and get some kind of appellate experience at the firm (more likely in pro bono work than not). Then you can do a CoA clerkship and return to your firm with a more compelling case to join the appellate group.

That being said, as has been mentioned previously, if what you care about is appellate work moreso than being in BigLaw, regional law firms or state government would be easier places to try to break into. If that's the case--and you find yourself unable to get a CoA clerkship--then a good state supreme court clerkship would make sense. I think in a lot of these kinds of jobs (especially SSG) you'll be getting much more substantive appellate experience than even in an appellate BigLaw group, unless you're in an especially competitive group (which may be difficult to get into without HSY magna/DC Cir. clerkship).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:15 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
That being said, as has been mentioned previously, if what you care about is appellate work moreso than being in BigLaw, regional law firms or state government would be easier places to try to break into. If that's the case--and you find yourself unable to get a CoA clerkship--then a good state supreme court clerkship would make sense. I think in a lot of these kinds of jobs (especially SSG) you'll be getting much more substantive appellate experience than even in an appellate BigLaw group, unless you're in an especially competitive group (which may be difficult to get into without HSY magna/DC Cir. clerkship).
Agree with this. If appellate work is more of a priority than the paycheck, leaving BigLaw is probably the answer. I know two people who are good reference points for this - one clerked for the DC Cir., and then returned to his top 10 firm and is pretty limited to general litigation and trial level work. Another did a district court clerkship, then left BigLaw for government, and now has a pretty robust appellate practice, which includes a fair amount of US S.Ct. work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:23 am

Has anyone helped hire clerks through the Just the Beginning - Share the Wealth pipeline program? And if so, could you share some more information about what judges are looking for in applicants applying through the program? Thank you!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:53 am
I know at least two clerks who applied to a particular judge, interviewed and were rejected for COA spots, applied again in a later round and were offered spots. It is probably very judge-dependent, and there is no way to really know from the outside how the judge works, so I'd say it is definitely worth a shot.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:26 am

Any recommendations regarding how best to prepare for a writing test as part of the application process (if possible)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:49 am

If you know your judge has finished hiring, is it strange to reach out to one of the current clerks to ask who your future co-clerks will be?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:49 am
If you know your judge has finished hiring, is it strange to reach out to one of the current clerks to ask who your future co-clerks will be?
I just straight up asked my judge when I accepted the offer. I don't think it would be weird at all.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Is this common or recommended? I'm a year away from clerking

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:37 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Haven't started but have accepted two. My second judge told me. My first judge didn't but a mutual friend told me they knew my co-clerk when they found out we would be clerking for the same judge. I asked for an introduction and it was pleasant and helpful for both me and the co-clerk as we prepare to move to a new city for both of us. Not weird at all, I think.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:31 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:37 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Haven't started but have accepted two. My second judge told me. My first judge didn't but a mutual friend told me they knew my co-clerk when they found out we would be clerking for the same judge. I asked for an introduction and it was pleasant and helpful for both me and the co-clerk as we prepare to move to a new city for both of us. Not weird at all, I think.
I don't think there is an issue with it. In the letter my judge sent confirming that we accepted their offer, they gave us the name and contact information of our fellow co-clerks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:20 pm

When do background checks happen? Right after the offer or around the start date?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ExperssioUnius

Bronze

Post by ExperssioUnius » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:20 pm
When do background checks happen? Right after the offer or around the start date?
Often shortly after you start in that they won't have your fingerprints until then unless you are a transfer/rehire. Why do you ask?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:57 am

ExperssioUnius wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:41 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:20 pm
Often shortly after you start in that they won't have your fingerprints until then unless you are a transfer/rehire. Why do you ask?
This may depend some on the circuit, as mine told us we had to make sure we got fingerprinted before our start date. Circuit HR reached out a few months before the start date with all the paperwork, so I believe background check was sometime during this time.

Plus my circuit isn’t doing fingerprinting right now due to Covid. Just running background checks based on personal info.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:18 am

any insight on writing assignment as part of an interview? not sure what to expect

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:18 am
any insight on writing assignment as part of an interview? not sure what to expect

Is this for a Utah judge or 5th circuit judge? If so, it's just going to be statutory interpretation on the fly. Study your descriptive and normative canons.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:01 am
Anonymous User wrote:

Is this for a Utah judge or 5th circuit judge? If so, it's just going to be statutory interpretation on the fly. Study your descriptive and normative canons.
Justin Walker on CADC has a writing assignment as part of his interview process. No intel on what it entails, beyond being a four-hour closed-universe opinion-drafting assignment.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:23 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Justin Walker on CADC has a writing assignment as part of his interview process. No intel on what it entails, beyond being a four-hour closed-universe opinion-drafting assignment.
Did this happen pre- or post-interview? (I had an interview but no writing assignment, so I'm curious if that means I was dinged).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Agee does (or at least used to) do the same thing (CA4). You get a page of facts, 3-4 opinions to pull the law from, and you write an opinion resolving the case. Strict 4 hour time limit. He did his post-interview, I believe.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:48 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Did this happen pre- or post-interview? (I had an interview but no writing assignment, so I'm curious if that means I was dinged).
I do not know if this is universally the case, but I have heard that it happened post-interview.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”