Clerks Taking Questions Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:01 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:18 am
any insight on writing assignment as part of an interview? not sure what to expect

Is this for a Utah judge or 5th circuit judge? If so, it's just going to be statutory interpretation on the fly. Study your descriptive and normative canons.
This is for a DC judge and it's pre-interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:49 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:48 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:23 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:01 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:18 am
any insight on writing assignment as part of an interview? not sure what to expect

Is this for a Utah judge or 5th circuit judge? If so, it's just going to be statutory interpretation on the fly. Study your descriptive and normative canons.
Justin Walker on CADC has a writing assignment as part of his interview process. No intel on what it entails, beyond being a four-hour closed-universe opinion-drafting assignment.
Did this happen pre- or post-interview? (I had an interview but no writing assignment, so I'm curious if that means I was dinged).
I do not know if this is universally the case, but I have heard that it happened post-interview.
Dang. Thank you!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:42 pm

How long should we expect to hear back from a judge following a pre-interview writing exercise? Submitted mine late last week, but I’m still waiting to hear back.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:53 pm

Does Judge Livingston send rejections?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:49 am

For judges who filled their 21/22 slots the first week of the plan and then immediately posted for 22/23, is it generally safe to assume they're not going to start seriously looking at those 22/23 apps for at least a few months?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:42 pm
How long should we expect to hear back from a judge following a pre-interview writing exercise? Submitted mine late last week, but I’m still waiting to hear back.
Also curious to know this and if/when it would be appropriate to follow up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:55 pm

When a district judge in a highly competitive district schedules interviews directly with the judge, is there a standard number of people he's interviewing? Some people seem to think 2-3, others have said as much as 10, but 10 seems pretty high.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:55 pm
When a district judge in a highly competitive district schedules interviews directly with the judge, is there a standard number of people he's interviewing? Some people seem to think 2-3, others have said as much as 10, but 10 seems pretty high.
I don't think there's a standard. I suppose it also would depend on if a judge is more inclined to hire on the spot, or conduct a set number of interviews before making a hiring decision. I worked for one judge that organized interviews by strongest applicant, and then made a hiring decision on the spot, whether it was the first applicant or the fifth. My district judge was more deliberative and interviewed 4-5 people before having a final discussion with staff and making a decision.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:07 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
I don't think there's a standard. I suppose it also would depend on if a judge is more inclined to hire on the spot, or conduct a set number of interviews before making a hiring decision. I worked for one judge that organized interviews by strongest applicant, and then made a hiring decision on the spot, whether it was the first applicant or the fifth. My district judge was more deliberative and interviewed 4-5 people before having a final discussion with staff and making a decision.
The judicial assistant and the clerks have a lot of say too. That is, the judge determines who looks good, and then the judicial assistant and the clerks will determine how many to interview and in what order. The judge may make an offer to a candidate on the spot, or refrain from extending offers until having interviewed all candidates. If the judge is inclined to extend an offer to the very first candidate interviewed, the clerks may object and push back, and the interviews will proceed. And so on.

It depends on the chambers, and can be a complete mess.

A dozen or so (12-15) interviews for two positions is on the higher side, but happens.

This means a lot of heartbroken people, which just sucks. The judge does what the judge pleases.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Nope.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:52 pm

This thread has been incredible, thanks to all who have contributed!

Quick question that I imagine applies to most rising 3Ls who accepted clerkships right after graduation: I finished my 2L summer associate program and received an offer to return to the firm after my clerkship. When checking what my judge's "rules" are for accepting offers (vs leaving them open until you finish the clerkship), would you email the judicial assistant or the judge herself? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:52 pm
This thread has been incredible, thanks to all who have contributed!

Quick question that I imagine applies to most rising 3Ls who accepted clerkships right after graduation: I finished my 2L summer associate program and received an offer to return to the firm after my clerkship. When checking what my judge's "rules" are for accepting offers (vs leaving them open until you finish the clerkship), would you email the judicial assistant or the judge herself? Thanks!
I emailed my judge’s assistant and got an answer pretty quickly. I go to her for any questions now.

Chokenhauer

New

Post by Chokenhauer » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:49 pm

I haven’t found anything directly on point, although it seems like the general consensus is that firms are alright with extending their offers made to SAs or at the very least, it shouldn’t matter because the clerkship will give you more than enough opportunities to pick up a job elsewhere. But what if I want to turn a 1-year clerkship into a 2-year clerkship?

The judge that I will be clerking for is a newcomer. Up until recently, I thought it was only a 1-year commitment. But they’ve hinted at having me stay for more than one year, most likely two, because they want someone around for an extra year to help get established. If I enjoy it enough and want to stay, is it going to ruin my chances at the firm where I plan to return? The firm is under the assumption that I would only be there for 1 year. Has anyone ever experienced asking for an extension like this or is it frowned upon?

If it matters, my school is nightmarishly low-ranked and we’re talking regional BL.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Post by LBJ's Hair » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:44 pm

Chokenhauer wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:49 pm
I haven’t found anything directly on point, although it seems like the general consensus is that firms are alright with extending their offers made to SAs or at the very least, it shouldn’t matter because the clerkship will give you more than enough opportunities to pick up a job elsewhere. But what if I want to turn a 1-year clerkship into a 2-year clerkship?

The judge that I will be clerking for is a newcomer. Up until recently, I thought it was only a 1-year commitment. But they’ve hinted at having me stay for more than one year, most likely two, because they want someone around for an extra year to help get established. If I enjoy it enough and want to stay, is it going to ruin my chances at the firm where I plan to return? The firm is under the assumption that I would only be there for 1 year. Has anyone ever experienced asking for an extension like this or is it frowned upon?

If it matters, my school is nightmarishly low-ranked and we’re talking regional BL.
do'nt think many places give you two class years for a two-year clerkship, which is a pretty useful signal of how firms view it

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:58 pm

Chokenhauer wrote:

Talk to your firm. Many "regional BL" level firms are tight on cash right now, and they actually might be happy to defer paying you by another year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:58 pm
Chokenhauer wrote:

Talk to your firm. Many "regional BL" level firms are tight on cash right now, and they actually might be happy to defer paying you by another year.
Thanks. I’ll reach out to them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:08 pm

LBJ's Hair wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:44 pm
Chokenhauer wrote:

do'nt think many places give you two class years for a two-year clerkship, which is a pretty useful signal of how firms view it
YMMV but my v30 gave me 3 years of class year credit for 2-year district clerkship + 1 year COA

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:02 pm

Any advice for where to send an application to clerk for Justice Barrett's chambers? I thought I found the person shepherding her nomination, but I emailed that person last Thursday and haven't heard back.

I'm thinking that the next best route is snail mail to the court with attention to Justice Barrett's chambers, but I appreciate any thoughts.

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:02 pm
Any advice for where to send an application to clerk for Justice Barrett's chambers? I thought I found the person shepherding her nomination, but I emailed that person last Thursday and haven't heard back.

I'm thinking that the next best route is snail mail to the court with attention to Justice Barrett's chambers, but I appreciate any thoughts.
I'm no expert in SCOTUS clerk hiring, but my understanding is you generally need someone to make a call on your behalf to have a shot (ideally the feeder judge you already clerk for).

ammcphee

New

Post by ammcphee » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:08 pm

Thanks very much for the quick response. That definitely makes sense. I don't have a feeder judge (I clerked for a state supreme court in 2017-2018), but perhaps some of my professors will be connected.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:15 pm

Yeah, I don’t think just sending an app to her chambers is going to do much, especially since she would have had clerks working for her already and she might well just take them with her to start.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Fireworks2016

Bronze

Post by Fireworks2016 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:32 pm

Law360 just had an article about the clerks she's taking to SCOTUS (I think all four had SCOTUS experience and were in practice), so if you're applying for now, I think you're out of luck.

And if you're applying for future terms, I'd guess that would be largely made up of the clerks she had already hired for the 7th Circuit, just a term or two later than they had signed up for.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:17 pm

Good lead on the Law360 article, thanks. Appreciate your all's input.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:03 am

Annoying 'chance me' post. Apologies.

I've accepted a California (non-N.D. Cal.) district court clerkship for 2021-22. I didn't really think I'd have a shot at a circuit court clerkship when I initially applied, but now that I have some post-law school work experience and the trial court gig lined up, I figured I might as well make a run at the thing. What does everyone think? Planning to apply broadly.

UG: Flagship public with straight As (think Berkeley, Michigan, UCLA, UVA)
LS: MVP
LSGPA: Mid-3.6 range (above median, but sub-cum laude)
Work experience: two years at a top Bay Area firm (think Cooley, MoFo, WSGR)
Other: Secondary journal, RA, strong recs, a couple fancy profs willing to make calls

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:03 am
Annoying 'chance me' post. Apologies.

I've accepted a California (non-N.D. Cal.) district court clerkship for 2021-22. I didn't really think I'd have a shot at a circuit court clerkship when I initially applied, but now that I have some post-law school work experience and the trial court gig lined up, I figured I might as well make a run at the thing. What does everyone think? Planning to apply broadly.

UG: Flagship public with straight As (think Berkeley, Michigan, UCLA, UVA)
LS: MVP
LSGPA: Mid-3.6 range (above median, but sub-cum laude)
Work experience: two years at a top Bay Area firm (think Cooley, MoFo, WSGR)
Other: Secondary journal, RA, strong recs, a couple fancy profs willing to make calls
I like your chances if you aren't married to 2/9/DC. Plenty of circuit judges will like your work experience + district court clerkship.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”