3-Day Vetting process for an associate position Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
Shmuffalo_

New

3-Day Vetting process for an associate position

Post by Shmuffalo_ » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:31 am

I received a call about a potential job in Oil & Gas. It's a small firm, which apparently has a several offices across the US (which I can't verify). Their website has a few blogs from 2013 about the oil and gas industry, but since then they've been absent. No attorneys listed on their site, aside from two partners.

I've been given a weird vibe by the two partners, and coupled this 3-day vetting process with other potential candidates has me skeptical; particularly with a firm that may have 15 associates across 6 states. They're offering 75k+ in a small/mid-sized city. Has anyone had an interview process like this? And if so, what is there to expect?

What I know: Bring a laptop, legal pad, pen, and pencil.

jchiles

Silver

Re: 3-Day Vetting process for an associate position

Post by jchiles » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:31 am

How bad do you need a job? I agree this sounds weird idk if I would even go if I had other things in the pipeline. I think having some part of the interview process be skills based is more common but three days (I assume you'd have to get a hotel?) seems pretty excessive and unreasonable.

drs36

Bronze

Re: 3-Day Vetting process for an associate position

Post by drs36 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:12 am

I've heard of a firm like this before. Is this firm WV? A guy I graduated with received a similar call. The firm would not reimburse his hotel, and the vetting process consisted of doing actual work for the firm for those three days. Unpaid. He said the phone interviewer claimed their associates billed 2500+hrs/year.

If this is in any way similar, don't do it. Something else will come along. Feel free to PM.

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”