University of Kentucky c/o 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
MrSwaggums

New

University of Kentucky c/o 2016

Post by MrSwaggums » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:31 pm

Who else will be heading to Lexington as part of University of Kentucky's 2016 class?

st21

New

Re: University of Kentucky c/o 2016

Post by st21 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:42 pm

why is UK's thread so empty? is no one going there this Fall lol. Kentucky's my top choice as of now, im waiting for them to get back to me as they reevaluate my financial aid. I've never been to the state, not sure what to expect.

thecollege

New

Post by thecollege » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:58 pm

Maybe one of you can give me some advice - Kentucky is offering me a good finaid package. Plus I like Lexington and have friends nearby. But I get nervous to accept them over a higher ranked school that has potentially wider range of markets to end up in. I'm really torn at this point...

st21

New

Post by st21 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:49 pm

I actually know exactly how you feel, its a tough decision but ultimately you want to try to position yourself around a market that you think you want to end up working in. If one of the higher ranked schools seems like a place where you can pursue a career in, then keep that in mind because thats where 3 years is going to lead you to eventually, thats where its going to lead all of us, so we should all keep that in mind. I personally dont know how strong the Kentucky market is, if someone does know that would be great to get some feedback on.

Finances should obviously also be a big factor to weigh. If Kentucky can provide you with both of these, then you already have your answer and you should just sit back and enjoy the ride.

thecollege

New

Post by thecollege » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:09 pm

So I've been to Kentucky quite a few times and the impression i get is that your main opportunities for large firms or in house exist in Louisville or Lexington. I think that a lot of the legal market there is small firms, like <10, just because most of the rest of the state is small cities/towns. Their numbers seem to place well in clerkships, but I'm skeptical a bit. I wonder how many are clerking for judges in the major cities versus sparsely populated counties. I guess my uncertainty and unfamiliarity with the legal market in the state makes me weary to attend too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thecollege

New

Post by thecollege » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:14 pm

Also average salaries across industries are lower than other markets. Not sure if it works out in the end because cost of living is cheaper or not, but something else to think about.

togepi

Silver

Post by togepi » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:00 am

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... y&show=ABA

Here's the Class of 2011 data if you guys haven't seen it yet. I am considering UK also. If they up my scholarship a tad I will definitely be there.

MrSwaggums

New

Post by MrSwaggums » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:15 pm

bump. Anyone else coming to UK?

togepi

Silver

Post by togepi » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:25 am

I'm starting to worry their incoming class will be around 10 students.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cookjs8

New

Post by cookjs8 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:43 pm

Sent in my seat deposit.

I enjoyed Lexington immensely on my visit to ASD. I would have preferred if the law school was in a little better shape, but it seems that the program at UK is great. I for sure will be getting all of my work done in the UG library. That place is rediculous

togepi

Silver

Post by togepi » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:07 am

cookjs8 wrote:Sent in my seat deposit.

I enjoyed Lexington immensely on my visit to ASD. I would have preferred if the law school was in a little better shape, but it seems that the program at UK is great. I for sure will be getting all of my work done in the UG library. That place is rediculous
The law center's library is THAT bad? Or do you just want to be around UG SEC girls? :)

cookjs8

New

Post by cookjs8 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:28 am

togepi wrote: The law center's library is THAT bad? Or do you just want to be around UG SEC girls? :)
The law building was probably the most aged that I had visited (UTK, Wake, Denver). I think the classrooms were perfectly okay, and comparing the UG Library to the Law library isn't really fair. The UG Library must have cost tens of millions.

The "scenery" in the UG library is definitely a plus though

MrSwaggums

New

Post by MrSwaggums » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:54 pm

UK's UG library (William T Young Library) is extremely nice and has the second largest book endowment with only Harvard having a greater one.

The Spring and Fall Meets at Keeneland are also great place to check out the "scenery". Keeneland has a great horse racing atmosphere. Even though UK never contends in football they do have SEC caliber tailgating.

Look forward to seeing who else will be joining me there.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

togepi

Silver

Post by togepi » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:31 am

Hmm, I'm sure I won't be getting much studying done in that library then. I went to Auburn for undergrad, hopefully the "scenery" is on par.

Did UK give you guys any scholarships/stipulations?

I currently have out-of-state waived.

MrSwaggums

New

Post by MrSwaggums » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:42 am

I'm already in state and got 5k a year off that with a median stip.

st21

New

Post by st21 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:41 am

Ya I also got out-of-state waived but that was it. This UK forum seems to have the least amount of activity than all the others. I'm wondering if the "10 students" incoming class was actually an accurate statement after all lol

togepi

Silver

Post by togepi » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:59 am

st21 wrote:Ya I also got out-of-state waived but that was it. This UK forum seems to have the least amount of activity than all the others. I'm wondering if the "10 students" incoming class was actually an accurate statement after all lol
Was yours a "diversity" scholarship? I was browsing through kentucky.lawschoolnumbers.com and saw that the majority of scholarships were waiving out of state. I'm just curious if mine said "diversity" for shits and giggles and everyone else got it too.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

st21

New

Post by st21 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:38 am

togepi wrote:
st21 wrote:Ya I also got out-of-state waived but that was it. This UK forum seems to have the least amount of activity than all the others. I'm wondering if the "10 students" incoming class was actually an accurate statement after all lol
Was yours a "diversity" scholarship? I was browsing through kentucky.lawschoolnumbers.com and saw that the majority of scholarships were waiving out of state. I'm just curious if mine said "diversity" for shits and giggles and everyone else got it too.

lol ya mine was a diversity scholarship too. I felt special when I got it but I guess they're handing them out left and right, but its ok im still grateful for getting it. In-state tuition compared to what I would have paid is still money saved in the bank.

togepi

Silver

Post by togepi » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:42 am

st21 wrote:
togepi wrote:

lol ya mine was a diversity scholarship too. I felt special when I got it but I guess they're handing them out left and right, but its ok im still grateful for getting it. In-state tuition compared to what I would have paid is still money saved in the bank.
Is there anything about you that makes you "diverse"? I mean that in the nicest way possible. i.e. WE, ethnicity, non-trad, etc?

Yeah, I was happy to receive it with no stipulations, but I would like an extra bit on top of it to justify UK. Their tuition will go up every year, and will probably exceed the Stafford limit of $20,500 before we would graduate =/

st21

New

Post by st21 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:11 am

togepi wrote:
st21 wrote:
togepi wrote:

Is there anything about you that makes you "diverse"? I mean that in the nicest way possible. i.e. WE, ethnicity, non-trad, etc?

Yeah, I was happy to receive it with no stipulations, but I would like an extra bit on top of it to justify UK. Their tuition will go up every year, and will probably exceed the Stafford limit of $20,500 before we would graduate =/

Yeah I assume that I may be a bit more diverse than typical students applying to UK. I was an engineering major in undergrad which i guess is a non-traditional major for law students and I'm also Persian which probably tops it off. I'm not familiar with the "Stafford limit" that you mentioned? what is that?

togepi

Silver

Post by togepi » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:50 am

Crazy. Im Asian and have an engineering degree too. GPA is low though, in Civil. Theres Stafford loans which maxes out at 20500. If you need more, most people get GRADplus loans, but the interest rate is higher.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

st21

New

Post by st21 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:17 am

togepi wrote:Crazy. Im Asian and have an engineering degree too. GPA is low though, in Civil. Theres Stafford loans which maxes out at 20500. If you need more, most people get GRADplus loans, but the interest rate is higher.

Hahaha I'm civil too. Are you thinking about IP law / patent law? Where did you do your undergrad? My diversity scholarship mentioned that it would fluctuate with the cost of the tuition, so for instance if next year's out of state tuition increased, then the scholarship amount would increase as well to cover the additional difference, but ya most likely in-state tuition would have increased too and that means we would still have to pay a bit more.

togepi

Silver

Post by togepi » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:22 am

st21 wrote:
togepi wrote:Crazy. Im Asian and have an engineering degree too. GPA is low though, in Civil. Theres Stafford loans which maxes out at 20500. If you need more, most people get GRADplus loans, but the interest rate is higher.

Hahaha I'm civil too. Are you thinking about IP law / patent law? Where did you do your undergrad? My diversity scholarship mentioned that it would fluctuate with the cost of the tuition, so for instance if next year's out of state tuition increased, then the scholarship amount would increase as well to cover the additional difference, but ya most likely in-state tuition would have increased too and that means we would still have to pay a bit more.
Did my time at Auburn. You? Thats why id like to get a bit more. They might increase in state more than out of state if they hand out in state like candy. Oh, and my gpa is probably going to screw me over. Id like to do it if i could, or something construction related.

st21

New

Post by st21 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:39 am

togepi wrote:
st21 wrote:

Did my time at Auburn. You? Thats why id like to get a bit more. They might increase in state more than out of state if they hand out in state like candy. Oh, and my gpa is probably going to screw me over. Id like to do it if i could, or something construction related.
Yeah that's a good point. Shoot I didn't really think of that. I've already turned in my 1st deposit & accepted the scholarship letter already though so I probably wont be able to negotiate anymore now. I went to Virginia Tech, will have been working as a civil engineer for 2 years by the time august comes around before heading over to Lexington.

togepi

Silver

Post by togepi » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:44 am

Nice. One of my classmates went there for graduate school. Why are you leaving the Civil gig? I worked for six months as a project manager on a tenant improvement job with an uncle whos a general contractor. Thatll be nice having that experience. What field?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”