Northwestern Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
jn7

Bronze

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Post by jn7 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:31 am

For anybody going to the admissions happy hour tonight: business casual I presume?

Scarlett66

New

Post by Scarlett66 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:39 am

franklyscarlet wrote:Keep in mind, too, that there will be the SPFIF booksale and emails on the listserv selling books. If your book isn't a brand new edition, you'll likely be able to get it used within the next week.
Are there really going to be available books at the SPFIF booksale? Or is it just all hoping to get lucky to get the one available torts book all of us need? Haha, I'm hoping for the former!

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:49 am

jn7 wrote:For anybody going to the admissions happy hour tonight: business casual I presume?
I was thinking...casual. Is there a word for no shorts or flip flops but basically anything else is fine? Business casual to me implies no jeans, and I will definitely be wearing jeans.
Last edited by Micdiddy on Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flops89

New

Post by flops89 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:01 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
jn7 wrote:For anybody going to the admissions happy hour tonight: business casual I presume?
I was thinking...casual. Is there a word for no short or flip flops but basically anything else is fine? Business casual to me implies no jeans, and I will definitely be wearing jeans.
This. It's not hosted by a law firm and it's my last Friday of vacation. I'll be casual as well.

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:42 pm

jdb2013 wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:Keep in mind, too, that there will be the SPFIF booksale and emails on the listserv selling books. If your book isn't a brand new edition, you'll likely be able to get it used within the next week.
how do we get on the listserv?
You automatically get on the listserv for every time someone wants to sell a damn coffee table. You need to be watching carefully for the email to opt in to career emails about jobs. Why is it opt-out from useless nonsense and opt-in for emails about important things? Hell if I know, everyone tells me that's how it should be, so whatever. Welcome to law school, we have diversity of opinions here.

You can manually set the listserv to give you a daily email summary (or several times daily in some cases). This is bad because you miss out on "happening now! free lunch!" emails. I think the tradeoff is well worth it to be able to read my damn email.
Last edited by Bumi on Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:44 pm

Scarlett66 wrote:Are there really going to be available books at the SPFIF booksale? Or is it just all hoping to get lucky to get the one available torts book all of us need? Haha, I'm hoping for the former!
God the way those SFPIF boxes were bulging at the end of the spring semester, I'd guess plenty are available. The bookstore has used books too that are more expensive but still cheaper than new. Your problem is more likely to be profs requiring new editions, not available used books. The SFPIF sale is great for supplements.

PBateman1

Bronze

Post by PBateman1 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:03 pm

I'll see some of you guys for the first time tonight at the happy hour. I'll echo the casual look, I'll prob be in a polo and shorts, the same thing I wear every day. Can we bring SO's or is it students only?

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:08 pm

PBateman1 wrote:I'll see some of you guys for the first time tonight at the happy hour. I'll echo the casual look, I'll prob be in a polo and shorts, the same thing I wear every day. Can we bring SO's or is it students only?
Also interested in this question. Considering it said you need a nametag to get in I already told my wife she's probably not coming. But I haven't gotten any official word one way or another.

Scarlett66

New

Post by Scarlett66 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:11 pm

Bumi wrote:
Scarlett66 wrote:Are there really going to be available books at the SPFIF booksale? Or is it just all hoping to get lucky to get the one available torts book all of us need? Haha, I'm hoping for the former!
God the way those SFPIF boxes were bulging at the end of the spring semester, I'd guess plenty are available. The bookstore has used books too that are more expensive but still cheaper than new. Your problem is more likely to be profs requiring new editions, not available used books. The SFPIF sale is great for supplements.
Thanks! The bookstore only had three of my books used, and I'm worried about the shipping time of buying elsewhere online. Hopefully I'll find them and if not, Amazon Prime to the rescue

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:16 pm

Scarlett66 wrote:
Bumi wrote:
Thanks! The bookstore only had three of my books used, and I'm worried about the shipping time of buying elsewhere online. Hopefully I'll find them and if not, Amazon Prime to the rescue
I bought the books available from Half.com and got my books delivered from there before the bookstore had the other ones ready for pick-up.

Scarlett66

New

Post by Scarlett66 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:44 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
Scarlett66 wrote:
Bumi wrote:
I bought the books available from Half.com and got my books delivered from there before the bookstore had the other ones ready for pick-up.
That will be my plan immediately after the SPFIF book sale then. If I seem like I'm scrambling to find books on the first day of classes, I'll have outed myself haha

PBateman1

Bronze

Post by PBateman1 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:54 pm

Just asked the admissions staff about so's at happy hour tonight. They can come after 5:30, and have to pay for their own drinks.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:14 pm

PBateman1 wrote:Just asked the admissions staff about so's at happy hour tonight. They can come after 5:30, and have to pay for their own drinks.
So this means our drinks are free? So happy right now.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jn7

Bronze

Post by jn7 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:20 pm

This is the perfect opportunity to show the entire admissions staff what raging alcoholics they've admitted this year :shock:

KremeCheez

Bronze

Post by KremeCheez » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:28 pm

This happy hour just for those who were at early bid orientation or anyone?
Not sure if I'll be back from dumping my car in the burbs on time or not...but...

KremeCheez

Bronze

Post by KremeCheez » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:40 pm

Too late anyways.
My first night in Chicago proper.
Wut up Gold Coast?

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:47 am

KremeCheez wrote:Too late anyways.
Wut up Gold Coast?
you missed out man

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

KremeCheez

Bronze

Post by KremeCheez » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:24 pm

Cobretti wrote:
KremeCheez wrote:Too late anyways.
Wut up Gold Coast?
you missed out man
I figured. Woulda been there if I could have.
At least I'm moved in to my own place now and won't need to worry about doing a 75-90 minute commute from the 'burbs during orientation.
Plus the Gold Coast was poppin' last night. Gotta be about 10 bars within a block and a half of my place. I chose convenience over bang-for-your buck living conditions, and so far I'm happy with it.
Woke up to a farmers' market around the corner this morning, too. Not sure how long it'll last into fall, but kinda cool none-the-less.

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:10 pm

KremeCheez wrote:Woke up to a farmers' market around the corner this morning, too. Not sure how long it'll last into fall, but kinda cool none-the-less.
There's one close to school too on Tuesday mornings, in front of the museum of contemporary art. The apple situation in the fall is outstanding.

Volforlife

Bronze

Post by Volforlife » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:50 pm

Just got my CLR reading assignments for this Tuesday/Wednesday and I haven't even bought my books yet. Lol. Starting out on the right foot, I guess.

Dr. Filth

Silver

Post by Dr. Filth » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:20 pm

Volforlife wrote:Just got my CLR reading assignments for this Tuesday/Wednesday and I haven't even bought my books yet. Lol. Starting out on the right foot, I guess.
:shock: Just saw this too. I haven't picked up my books from the store yet. It looks like we won't have time to before Tuesday either.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bananasplit19

Silver

Post by bananasplit19 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:15 pm

Dr. Filth wrote:
Volforlife wrote:Just got my CLR reading assignments for this Tuesday/Wednesday and I haven't even bought my books yet. Lol. Starting out on the right foot, I guess.
:shock: Just saw this too. I haven't picked up my books from the store yet. It looks like we won't have time to before Tuesday either.
This week's assignments and chapters are on Blackboard in pdf form, if you don't feel like pulling the trigger on books just yet.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:23 pm

1Ls EVERYWHERE. I forgot y'all were being oriented and came here to work. Bad choice...

But hi 1Ls!

KremeCheez

Bronze

Post by KremeCheez » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:06 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:1Ls EVERYWHERE. I forgot y'all were being oriented and came here to work. Bad choice...

But hi 1Ls!
Seems like these training rotations would have been prime time for TLSing...

Scarlett66

New

Post by Scarlett66 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:57 pm

Orientation has been... kinda dry. Trying to prepare us I presume

Is it too soon to already ditch CLR reading as worthless?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”