NYU Law Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
sokomofo

Bronze

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Post by sokomofo » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:03 am

Last edited by sokomofo on Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brownsugar

New

Post by brownsugar » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:12 am

I was actually thinking in the other direction: since you're an international student, the fact that you have less ties to an area will not be held against you so much.
This is all just speculation, though: I'm not going into biglaw, and there are probably people who will know in much more detail how this affects things.

eerie_erie

Bronze

Post by eerie_erie » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:56 am

My friend who had around median grades had no trouble landing several interviews and SA offers through EIW for her 2L summer. She was an international student with no connections to the area. I've talked to her and she believes what stood out was good interviewing skills and specifically a compelling, personalized reason why she came to NYU as opposed to going to law school in her native country.

divster

New

Post by divster » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:13 pm

Hey all,

Also deciding between NYU and Berkeley right now. What do you mean when you say California ties? I grew up in CA and went to Berkeley undergrad but don't exactly have ties to the legal community here.

brownsugar

New

Post by brownsugar » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:16 pm

divster wrote:Hey all,

Also deciding between NYU and Berkeley right now. What do you mean when you say California ties? I grew up in CA and went to Berkeley undergrad but don't exactly have ties to the legal community here.
That's all that's meant by ties; if you lived there at some point either as a kid or during or after undergrad, firms generally see you as less likely to be dissatisfied and jump after a couple years because you know what living in the area is like.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:01 pm

divster wrote:Hey all,

ties to the region, not the market. You're good

chickpea

Bronze

Post by chickpea » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:08 pm

i'm 99.9% sure i'll be attending NYU next fall and am incredibly excited about it! currently living in BK and i love my neighborhood so much that i would like to keep it that way. part of me worries that i might miss out on some 1L activities by living a bit farther away from the law school but i know for sure that i am not willing to go back to dorm living and i can get so much more space for my $ in BK than right by NYU.

do 1Ls ever reach out to one another before law school starts in order to look for apartments off-campus together? if i'm living in BK if might be fun to at least live with another law student.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:24 am

chickpea wrote:i'm 99.9% sure i'll be attending NYU next fall and am incredibly excited about it! currently living in BK and i love my neighborhood so much that i would like to keep it that way. part of me worries that i might miss out on some 1L activities by living a bit farther away from the law school but i know for sure that i am not willing to go back to dorm living and i can get so much more space for my $ in BK than right by NYU.

do 1Ls ever reach out to one another before law school starts in order to look for apartments off-campus together? if i'm living in BK if might be fun to at least live with another law student.
maybe if you meet some cool people at ASW. That isn't out of the question

chickpea

Bronze

Post by chickpea » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:04 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
chickpea wrote:i'm 99.9% sure i'll be attending NYU next fall and am incredibly excited about it! currently living in BK and i love my neighborhood so much that i would like to keep it that way. part of me worries that i might miss out on some 1L activities by living a bit farther away from the law school but i know for sure that i am not willing to go back to dorm living and i can get so much more space for my $ in BK than right by NYU.

maybe if you meet some cool people at ASW. That isn't out of the question

Cool, good to know.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cornking

New

Post by cornking » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:06 pm

Hey Chickpea! I'll bet at NYU in the fall and am currently living in BK. I like living in BK, but I've also been thinking about going to the dorms just to be around the law school vibe as much as possible. On the other hand, if I could live in BK with another law student then I might do that. It's still early in the game, but I would definitely be down to look around for an apt off-campus at some point :)

chickpea

Bronze

Post by chickpea » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:43 pm

Yay BK! I pm'ed you Cornking.

Scrambles84

New

Post by Scrambles84 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:08 am

Lurked my way through this thread, just dropping in to say hello. After spending six years in the Bay Area for undergrad and work, I'm very ready for a change of scenery on the East Coast. Definitely going to continue lurking here to snoop on thoughts on the best place to live.

aredhello

Bronze

Post by aredhello » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:31 am

FWIW, pizza boxes hit Manhattan today.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chickpea

Bronze

Post by chickpea » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:17 am

Yay! Hopefully I'll get mine tomorrow then.

table

New

Post by table » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:32 pm

Are letters/pizza boxes sent via USPS or private carrier?

housebro13

Bronze

Post by housebro13 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:32 pm

Hey guys. Do we get the pizza box after receiving the acceptance letter or is the pizza box the acceptance letter?

Swimp

Bronze

Post by Swimp » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:45 pm

I was in the first wave of acceptances, and I got the acceptance letter a while ago but didn't get the pizza box until this past Thurs. I live in Manhattan.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:32 pm

For anyone else who had no clue what a pizza box was....

zworykin wrote:No, it's like a pizza box, lol. Cornell's was just a box. Hold on a sec, I'll take a picture...

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

housebro13

Bronze

Post by housebro13 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:00 pm

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:For anyone else who had no clue what a pizza box was....

zworykin wrote:No, it's like a pizza box, lol. Cornell's was just a box. Hold on a sec, I'll take a picture...

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--
Thanks. wow I didn't expect it to actually be as big as a pizza box. Can't wait to get mine in the mail!

chickpea

Bronze

Post by chickpea » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:47 pm

wow, cool! thanks for posting the photos - i didn't really know what to expect either. really excited to get mine in the mail!

estamosjuntos

New

Post by estamosjuntos » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:54 am

Question: If you're an admitted ED applicant, how worth it is coming from out-of-state to an Admitted Students Day event? Will it just be them selling me more on something I've already bought into?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

WhiteyCakes

Silver

Post by WhiteyCakes » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:59 am

housebro13 wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--
Thanks. wow I didn't expect it to actually be as big as a pizza box. Can't wait to get mine in the mail!
So that's how you're supposed to open that....I shredded mine trying to figure that out

h_jane_w

New

Post by h_jane_w » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:03 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:
housebro13 wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--
So that's how you're supposed to open that....I shredded mine trying to figure that out
lol I spent such a long time opening mine that I thought "is this box a test to prepare us to feel like idiots for the next 3 years?"

divster

New

Post by divster » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:59 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:
housebro13 wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--
LOL +1

aredhello

Bronze

Post by aredhello » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:05 pm

table wrote:Are letters/pizza boxes sent via USPS or private carrier?
I believe that mine was sent USPS.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”