NYU Law Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
testaker

New

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Post by testaker » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:13 am

Sorry to shift the conversation from housing, but for any of you who appealed a financial award/lack thereof from NYU, how long was the response time before you heard back? I submitted an appeal on April 4th and am just trying to gauge how long I may be waiting to hear. thanks.

bluecouch

Bronze

Post by bluecouch » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:43 am

I'm so so jealous of you folks planning on living near campus. I'm not sure if my husband and I can afford an apartment + daycare in the city... I have a feeling we'll be staying put in Connecticut. Anyone have any experience with daycare in Manhattan?

lsatprepguy

Bronze

Post by lsatprepguy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:28 pm

HI everyone! IM OFFICIALLY COMING HERE!

chickpea

Bronze

Post by chickpea » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:52 pm

lsatprepguy wrote:HI everyone! IM OFFICIALLY COMING HERE!

Awesome!! :D

anthony1027

New

Post by anthony1027 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:59 pm

As someone who lives in CA and rides a motorcycle, does anyone who lives in NY think this might be a good alternative to the trains/subways. Im not entirely sure on the lane splitting laws in NY so im hesitant on bringing the bike out there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:18 pm

anthony1027 wrote:As someone who lives in CA and rides a motorcycle, does anyone who lives in NY think this might be a good alternative to the trains/subways. Im not entirely sure on the lane splitting laws in NY so im hesitant on bringing the bike out there.
bigger issue is the fact that Taxis will run you over intentionally. Parking isn't bad for bikes (I have a few neighbors with them), but the lack of any awareness by other drivers and the issue with weather is going to be pretty rough.

Swimp

Bronze

Post by Swimp » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:19 pm

anthony1027 wrote:As someone who lives in CA and rides a motorcycle, does anyone who lives in NY think this might be a good alternative to the trains/subways. Im not entirely sure on the lane splitting laws in NY so im hesitant on bringing the bike out there.
Lane splitting is illegal, though I've never heard of anyone getting cited for it except on the west side highway. The cost of bike insurance in the city and potentially a spot in a garage would make me think twice about bringing a bike.

anthony1027

New

Post by anthony1027 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:40 pm

Looks like I'm selling my baby. Thanks for the advice though.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:56 pm

anthony1027 wrote:Looks like I'm selling my baby. Thanks for the advice though.
I didn't read the convo above, and at first thought this was related to jubee's post regarding living expenses with her family. Relieved to hear it's actually a motorcycle, but I'm sorry for your loss.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:46 pm

"I am writing to request that you consider reconsidering my request for reconsideration."

This process has emotionally and physically exhausted me.

vividviolin

New

Post by vividviolin » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:10 pm

For those of you looking at financial aid...does anyone have the 2013-14 COA estimate yet? On my letter (and on the website as far as I can tell), it only has 2012-13 (ie $78,112). Looking at past years, tuition has gone up about 4.5% each year for the last few years and COA overall has likewise gone up but eradically:

2008-09 Tuition: $42,890 COA: $67,738
2009-10 Tuition: $44,820 COA: $70,050
2010-11 Tuition: $46,840 COA: $70,866
2011-12 Tuition: $48,950 COA: $74,704
2012-13 Tuition: $51,150 COA: $78,112

So I'm expecting tuition to come in around $53,500 for next year, but COA is anyone's guess. Unless someone knows?

Also, does NYU not offer Perkins loans?

EdSaid

New

Post by EdSaid » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:31 pm

testaker wrote:Sorry to shift the conversation from housing, but for any of you who appealed a financial award/lack thereof from NYU, how long was the response time before you heard back? I submitted an appeal on April 4th and am just trying to gauge how long I may be waiting to hear. thanks.
Also interested in this.

bluecouch

Bronze

Post by bluecouch » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:08 pm

ph5354a wrote:
I didn't read the convo above, and at first thought this was related to jubee's post regarding living expenses with her family. Relieved to hear it's actually a motorcycle, but I'm sorry for your loss.
jubee's tar is pretty much exactly the same as mine, although I like to think my kid is cuter. so, i guess no one's done the daycare thing?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chickpea

Bronze

Post by chickpea » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:20 pm

Sorry, I don't have any special insight into NYC daycare. Best of luck finding a great, affordable service though.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:25 pm

bluecouch wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
jubee's tar is pretty much exactly the same as mine, although I like to think my kid is cuter. so, i guess no one's done the daycare thing?
Haha whoops sorry. Your baby is adorable. Jubee's tar is also adorable, but its from a YouTube video haha.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:33 pm

bluecouch wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
Do you have a significant other and will they be working?

bluecouch

Bronze

Post by bluecouch » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:42 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
bluecouch wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
Do you have a significant other and will they be working?
Yes, my husband will keep his current job. We live in southwest CT now, although we will def have to move somewhere closer to NYC b/c the commute would be too far to do on a regular basis.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:27 pm

bluecouch wrote:
Yes, my husband will keep his current job. We live in southwest CT now, although we will def have to move somewhere closer to NYC b/c the commute would be too far to do on a regular basis.
I would talk to his employer, if not about corporate daycare, at least about connections to decent systems. My feeling from NYC so far is that it's better to know someone who knows what they're talking about than actually trying to figure it out (I'm actually serious about this). A lot of New York is "this dude told me to call you," kind of stuff.

permapress

New

Post by permapress » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:51 pm

i don't know if i should update nyu about my scholarship offer from chicago... nyu still hasn't given me an offer like do i wait until they do and then negotiate? it's taking awfully long

bluecouch

Bronze

Post by bluecouch » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:09 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
bluecouch wrote:
I would talk to his employer, if not about corporate daycare, at least about connections to decent systems. My feeling from NYC so far is that it's better to know someone who knows what they're talking about than actually trying to figure it out (I'm actually serious about this). A lot of New York is "this dude told me to call you," kind of stuff.
Thanks, Jam. That's good advice :) My husband works for a HUGE company, so there must be someone who can tell us something about daycare there.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:54 am

testaker wrote:Sorry to shift the conversation from housing, but for any of you who appealed a financial award/lack thereof from NYU, how long was the response time before you heard back? I submitted an appeal on April 4th and am just trying to gauge how long I may be waiting to hear. thanks.
I submitted my appeal on 3/14 and heard back on 3/29, when a lot of people heard back. I'd guess that they would be moving more quickly in April, since the deadline is 4/22.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lawschoolboundfuture

Bronze

Post by lawschoolboundfuture » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:25 am

How long does it typically take from sending in the deposit to getting your login to do housing and stuff?

hellojd

Bronze

Post by hellojd » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:04 pm

Swimp wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:Yea, D'ag was awful. I can't imagine moving from a real apartment from there. Agreed that Mercer was better, but as a hookah smoker dorms are a non-starter for me in general. They'll kick me out in a week :D

Thanks, good to know. I have a friend who commutes from Hoboken to NYU for a MSW, and it seems like a pain, but her rent is... well, it's not cheap, but it's better than what I've found in other parts. Got any recommendations?
I'm anti-Brooklyn. Basically, I think people overstate the convenience--I've never lived there, but I have friends who used to live in Brooklyn (they've moved back to Manhattan now...) and it was not convenient to visit them. If you have to rely on the L, you will come to hate it. You'll also probably be living in Williamsburg, which isn't even cheaper than Manhattan anymore. Neighborhoods accessible by other lines are farther away. In general, I think that by the time you get to a neighborhood that offers a discount from Manhattan rents, you're talking about a 30 min + commute. And don't even get me started on inter-borough cabbing.

It depends on your priorities. I prefer to be in a small space in Manhattan and have the convenience of the location (in terms of subway, walkability, cabs) rather than a bigger, possibly nicer place in Brooklyn. I assume someone will come by before long and disagree with me.
Like with everything in NYC it depends. I live in Brooklyn, and it's pretty awesome. I am literally upstairs from the C, which stops off at a 2 minute walk from the law school. My door to door commute is about 20-25 mins. My place is also huge, 2 stories + rooftop. And I live 5 mins from the Barclays Center. I'm paying a good bit in rent, but my place is really nice and I have access to every train line b/c of the Barclays Center and can get to anywhere in Manhattan quite quickly. And no, you don't have to live in WIlliamsburg.

Granted, certain places in BK are hard to get to. It all depends, but it's annoying to hear these horror stories of BK from people that have never lived in BK. It's what scares away a lot of people.

risa

Bronze

Post by risa » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:15 pm

Hi guys! I'm officially committed to NYU as of earlier this week. Very excited (albeit still pretty intimidated by NYC)!

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:35 pm

risa wrote:(albeit still pretty intimidated by NYC)!
Nooo kidding. Where are you coming from?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”