Berkeley Law Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
Real Madrid

Silver

Berkeley Law Class of 2016

Post by Real Madrid » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:08 am

Hey everyone!

I deferred from last cycle to the Class of 2016. Just thought I'd go ahead and get this thread started for those others who've decided to go to Cal.

Here's what we have to look forward to:

And in case you get bored, there's a pretty interesting city across the bay. Maybe you've heard of it?

--ImageRemoved--

Facebook Group:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/519840564716351/
Last edited by Real Madrid on Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vishwanath15

New

Re: Berkeley Law Class of 2016

Post by vishwanath15 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:11 pm

I have sent in my application! i hope i get in!!!! LOOOVE the place

Redamon1

Bronze

Post by Redamon1 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:30 pm

Nice shots!

I started 1L here recently and I must say the building is fantastic. Plenty of great sunny spots inside and outside the building with a nice view of the Golden Gate Bridge from the rooftop terrace. The weather is surprisingly sunny and temperate. So lucky to get here just as the construction is finished. And the profs, students, journals and clinics are living up to Berkeley's reputation as a challenging, stimulating, supportive and down-to-earth environment. Definitely come visit if you can - the school will pay for your flight to SF if you get admitted.

Good luck to all applicants! Remember that you can post on the "ask students" thread if you any questions about the school or city.

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 4&t=130044
Last edited by Redamon1 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UtilityMonster

Bronze

Post by UtilityMonster » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:21 pm

*drool*

Those are great photos of the building.

I'm such a sucker for... buildings.

Ialdabaoth

Bronze

Post by Ialdabaoth » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:33 pm

Bump. I'll (hopefully) be submitting my application within the next couple of weeks. Good luck to all!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CalAlumni

Bronze

Post by CalAlumni » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:56 am

I'll be submitting my application once I get my LSAT score on the 29th.

Loved my time at Cal during undergrad! If anyone has any questions regarding living in Berkeley (living on the North Side vs South Side) or anything else Cal related, feel free to private message me.

sonny

New

Post by sonny » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:19 am

Status went "your file is under review" yesterday... anyone else?

From previous threads looks like what? If I don't hear by end of December its probably a rejection...

Good Luck Everyone!

Aspen

Bronze

Post by Aspen » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:24 pm

sonny wrote:Status went "your file is under review" yesterday... anyone else?

From previous threads looks like what? If I don't hear by end of December its probably a rejection...

Good Luck Everyone!
Nope. Not true. I'm currently a 1L here. My file went under review sometime in October and I didn't get in until February when the 1st Faculty Review committee's results came out. I also heard on the last day after everyone on the forums said that the rest of the people would be rejected. So when I got the phone call I was already convinced I was going to be rejected and was researching housing options at Penn. Don't stress out too much.

sonny

New

Post by sonny » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:48 am

Aspen wrote:

Good Luck Everyone!
Nope. Not true. I'm currently a 1L here. My file went under review sometime in October and I didn't get in until February when the 1st Faculty Review committee's results came out. I also heard on the last day after everyone on the forums said that the rest of the people would be rejected. So when I got the phone call I was already convinced I was going to be rejected and was researching housing options at Penn. Don't stress out too much.

Good to know... I'm sure it was a LONG wait though haha

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vzapana

Silver

Post by vzapana » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:45 pm

Got admitted on Monday. RD. So excited to visit!

MayBJack426

New

Post by MayBJack426 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:48 am

Congrats to all the recent admits! I'm still in shock that I was admitted, as Berkeley has always been that dream school to me. But after going through last years thread, I'm disheartened about the chances of meaningful financial aid and scholarships. I can't attend at sticker, like many here, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of things that can be done to increase aid chances? I guess my question is for current students.

Are there admits who think they'll be biting the bullet and going regardless of aid? And pursuing Public interest? Maybe I just need a hug, and need to stop looking at beautiful Berkeley pictures..

hume85

Silver

Post by hume85 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:53 am

Congrats to all of you! I went to Berkeley for UG, and I loved it. Welcome to Cal, it's a special place. Go Bears!

ETA: They may have upgraded the interior, but the exterior of much of the law school is still uglier than sin. And :lol: at the people ITT that think it is a "Berkeley c/o 2016 applicants thread".

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:13 am

MayBJack426 wrote:Congrats to all the recent admits! I'm still in shock that I was admitted, as Berkeley has always been that dream school to me. But after going through last years thread, I'm disheartened about the chances of meaningful financial aid and scholarships. I can't attend at sticker, like many here, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of things that can be done to increase aid chances? I guess my question is for current students.

Are there admits who think they'll be biting the bullet and going regardless of aid? And pursuing Public interest? Maybe I just need a hug, and need to stop looking at beautiful Berkeley pictures..
If you are PI then you should be far more concerned about LRAP. Berkeley's LRAP is excellent.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bigtexmex

Bronze

Post by bigtexmex » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:00 pm

Good Luck Everyone!

Not exactly. I was lucky. Went under review early January and accepted two weeks later. But I knew some who took a while to hear back.

Good luck to all! Boalt is awesome.

twinkletoes16

Silver

Post by twinkletoes16 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:21 pm

As long as some aid money comes my way, I'll be here. Grew up in Norcal, want to live and practice in Norcal. Still can't believe I got in, let alone so fast! It feels like a dream- not gonna lie, teared up some when I got that email. Total shock.

Now just need to get myself an apartment and a dog and move back and I'm set 8)

Mdenis1

Bronze

Post by Mdenis1 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:45 am

Hey guys! Checking in. Admitted international (Canadian) applicant. I still can't believe I got into Berkeley, let alone that early in the cycle! (I got in at the beg of Dec)

I do hope I get a scholarship from them (or that they agree to match one of my other T14 - NU offers) As a non-US citizens, I do not have access to financial aid so my options are more limited if I need to attend at sticker.

I hope this thread gets more active! I have never been to California, let alone the Berkeley area, so I have tons of questions about housing/transportation/weather etc. but I'll keep it for later. :)

Congrats again to everyone who has been offered admission!

emr2012

New

Post by emr2012 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:39 am

Hello all,

I was admitted in early December and know that packets were mailed out last week. As I will not have access to my packet until late next week (out of the country), I was wondering if someone on here could tell me if there is anything in it that requires immediate action. So, care to shed some light on this issue? Also, has anyone received financial aid info yet? In all honesty, I'd probably "bite the bullet" financially if it meant going to Berkeley, but I'd obviously rather not have to do that.

Congrats to all of you that have been admitted! I hope to see/meet you all in April!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Spritzpiggy

Bronze

Post by Spritzpiggy » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:54 pm

I briefly visited the campus this summer while I was in CA however yesterday, while stalking the building on googlemaps, I realized there is a rooftop terrace. Rooftop terrace people!!

I'll be that chick sunbathing at ASW this April :)

Mdenis1

Bronze

Post by Mdenis1 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:24 am

Spritzpiggy wrote:I briefly visited the campus this summer while I was in CA however yesterday, while stalking the building on googlemaps, I realized there is a rooftop terrace. Rooftop terrace people!!

I'll be that chick sunbathing at ASW this April :)
Awesome!

Mdenis1

Bronze

Post by Mdenis1 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:27 am

emr2012 wrote:Hello all,

I was admitted in early December and know that packets were mailed out last week. As I will not have access to my packet until late next week (out of the country), I was wondering if someone on here could tell me if there is anything in it that requires immediate action. So, care to shed some light on this issue? Also, has anyone received financial aid info yet? In all honesty, I'd probably "bite the bullet" financially if it meant going to Berkeley, but I'd obviously rather not have to do that.

Congrats to all of you that have been admitted! I hope to see/meet you all in April!
I haven't received any financial aid offer and I don't think I've heard of anyone who has.

I'd also appreciate if someone could tell us the content of the package as I am also out of the country (Although I am pretty sure we can all find it on Admitted students website, there is tons of information there and with everyone travelling nowadays, I don't think they would put any important information only in the mailed package and not online)

clouded.memory

Bronze

Post by clouded.memory » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:10 pm

Mdenis1 wrote:
emr2012 wrote:Hello all,

I haven't received any financial aid offer and I don't think I've heard of anyone who has.

I'd also appreciate if someone could tell us the content of the package as I am also out of the country (Although I am pretty sure we can all find it on Admitted students website, there is tons of information there and with everyone travelling nowadays, I don't think they would put any important information only in the mailed package and not online)
I received my admission packet last week, so I can shed some light on what's inside. Really, there's nothing in there of much importance. You'll get a folder that contains four letters (an admission letter from Dean Tom, another letter about how great Berkeley is, a letter from the Financial Aid Office, and another letter from the Career Development Office), the school's Spring 2012 Transcript publication, and then three promotional booklets that give a little more information about the law school, events, programs, etc. The letter from the Financial Aid Office doesn't give anymore information than their website does, so nothing to worry about there.

I hope this helps! :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

emr2012

New

Post by emr2012 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:49 pm

Very helpful, thanks a lot!

I guess it's back to the waiting game for scholarship info..

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:05 pm

And I present... The Berkeley Law C/O 2016 FB Group.

Please request to join at your leisure. :)

Facebook

New

Post by Facebook » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:48 pm

Hi, sorry if the question doesn't fit well here, but this forum is the closest I can find in terms of appropriateness.

I'm a 1L from your beloved rival school across the bay, and this quarter I'm taking a class taught by a visiting professor from Boalt. Is anybody willing to help me find previous outlines and past exams for this professor's class? If so, PM me. I would greatly appreciate it. And needless to say, I will gladly reciprocate the favor in the future should such a chance arise.

Mdenis1

Bronze

Post by Mdenis1 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:23 am

http://www.law.berkeley.edu/6957.htm

Is anyone aware why they don't match NU offers? I'm just wondering out of curiosity, I haven't heard back from them yet. Is it because they are more generous than the others T14 schools and therefore it would be too expensive for Berk to match? (Even if this was the reason, ever since Berk does not automatically match and denies a lot of match request, it wouldn't make much sense...)

I'm curious! :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”