Georgia Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
blake8907

New

Re: Georgia Class of 2015

Post by blake8907 » Sun May 27, 2012 4:04 pm

Just curious... do they serve alcohol at orientation? or is that some One L bull?

jabberwock12

New

Post by jabberwock12 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:54 pm

I mean they served alcohol at the admitted students day so I wouldn't doubt there would be some at orientation.

dawg12

New

Post by dawg12 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:10 am

I'm sure people will be going out afterwards as well

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:14 am

Are you suggesting pregaming or bringing in flasks...or both?

jabberwock12

New

Post by jabberwock12 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:40 pm

Definitely both.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mxmatt137

New

Post by mxmatt137 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:00 pm

jabberwock12 wrote:Definitely both.
I like your style.

jdailey89

New

Post by jdailey89 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:22 pm

My two roommates and I are 2Ls looking for another roommate this upcoming year. Our fourth is transferring to a T6 because he's a huge douche. We are living in a 4bd/4ba house on Aspen Heights, a brand new complex on Barnett Shoals Road near campus. Message me if you are interested/not socially awkward!

wynner

New

Post by wynner » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:01 pm

Hey, anyone who is 100% sure about going, please withdraw. I'm dying to get off the waitlist. :(

mxmatt137

New

Post by mxmatt137 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:25 pm

wynner wrote:Hey, anyone who is 100% sure about going, please withdraw. I'm dying to get off the waitlist. :(

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

epistemizer

New

Post by epistemizer » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:29 pm

Just checking in. I'm going and got a place in The Summit.

blake8907

New

Post by blake8907 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:57 pm

My lease doesn't start til the twelfth... Can I live with someone between the eight and then... Swear I'm not a creep

jabberwock12

New

Post by jabberwock12 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:50 pm

Is anybody doing that Law Preview thing for UGA Law students at Emory this summer? I got a scholarship to do it so I figured I'd give it a try.

mxmatt137

New

Post by mxmatt137 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:02 pm

Anybody know where I can get my hands on football tickets? I want student tickets, but until registration happens for the incoming 1Ls I won't technically be a "student."

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

epistemizer

New

Post by epistemizer » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:06 pm

mxmatt137 wrote:Anybody know where I can get my hands on football tickets? I want student tickets, but until registration happens for the incoming 1Ls I won't technically be a "student."
You're out of luck until then, unfortunately. UGA's system is really stupid, actually, especially considering that they make you scan your student ID to get into the games instead of giving you actual paper tickets.

mxmatt137

New

Post by mxmatt137 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:18 pm

epistemizer wrote:
mxmatt137 wrote:Anybody know where I can get my hands on football tickets? I want student tickets, but until registration happens for the incoming 1Ls I won't technically be a "student."
You're out of luck until then, unfortunately. UGA's system is really stupid, actually, especially considering that they make you scan your student ID to get into the games instead of giving you actual paper tickets.
In that case - Do tickets normally sell out?

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:57 pm

Because UGA didn't tell my class, I assume nobody has explained parking to you guys either. So, PARKING PRO TIPS:

PSA 1: Make sure you guys register to park in the North Deck now/as soon as you get your UGA MyID if that is what you plan on doing. Get the super pass unless you plan on trading cars all the time. It costs the same and it is a lot more convenient (windshield sticker vs hangtag you have to roll you window down for). You can have the amount just put on your bill, so don't worry if you don't have the $$ right now.

PSA 2: If you are going to walk/take the bus/bike to school, you don't need to do it yet, but be aware that you can register for an ATP pass. It's free and gives you the privilege of parking in north deck twice a month if there is bad weather, you need to leave for the airport, you don't feel like walking/running late, whatever. [You can also always park for free in North Deck if you get there after 5:30 and bring your UGA id, so don't buy a pass just because you are worried about walking home at night]
Is there a reason you are in a hurry to get them? I don't know how you undergrad did it, but at UGA it doesn't matter when within the registration window you register for tickets. This is how it works: once you get your UGA ID there will be some point (I think around the first week of class) where you register for tickets. It is first based on how many UGA hours you have (1Ls who didn't go to UGA for undergrad are treated like freshmen). Then it's lottery. Usually 1Ls get a half package, meaning that they get 3 of the 6 home games. You do not get to choose which 3 you get. You will not likely have standing to get an away ticket of any kind, though you may certainly try. Now let's say you want a different home game from what you got. You can trade with a friend or sell your ticket to another student and use the proceeds to buy a ticket from someone to the game you want. You can also attempt to buy tickets that get donated by students who find, a week or so in advance, that they cannot attend one of their games. The only deal with selling your ticket is that the student you sell it to must also have registered for tickets (IIRC). So for example, let's say you decide that you don't want to register for football tickets at all. You cannot then buy a ticket off of someone and have it transferred to your UGA ID. It must be a situation where you tried to get tickets for that game and failed. Again, I'm going off memory, but I'm pretty sure that is the rule. Away tickets are issued as paper tickets, so you can sell them to anyone you want or anyone can sell theirs to you.

Think carefully about whether or not you actually want to go to games. There is a 3 strikes policy for game attendance. If you have a ticket and don't go to a game that is a strike. Once you get three, no more football tickets for you in the future. You only get until the Wednesday before the game to decide to donate your ticket so no last minute decision making. You'll have to go scan your ticket and walk out to avoid the penalty (which can be a pain). You have a 50% shot of one of your three games being the Thanksgiving weekend game (which means you may not be here or may prefer to go to a different rivalry game that weekend). You may also just want to drink at the tailgate (free beer (occasionally liquor) at the law school tailgate if you join SBA or you can pay $2 to get a wristband if you aren't a member). I found that I prefer to go to the tailgate then go home and watch my UG play football/go to a bar and watch the game/do work/take a nap/whatever. YMMV.

Sorry that was long,and probably confusing, but hopefully it was helpful.

tl;dr: the fact that you can't register for student tickets until after classes start makes no difference
you may not want tickets at all
you may only be able to get three games (not chosen by you) unless you went to UGA for undergrad

mxmatt137

New

Post by mxmatt137 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:19 pm

eandy wrote:Because UGA didn't tell my class, I assume nobody has explained parking to you guys either. So, PARKING PRO TIPS:

PSA 1: Make sure you guys register to park in the North Deck now/as soon as you get your UGA MyID if that is what you plan on doing. Get the super pass unless you plan on trading cars all the time. It costs the same and it is a lot more convenient (windshield sticker vs hangtag you have to roll you window down for). You can have the amount just put on your bill, so don't worry if you don't have the $$ right now.

PSA 2: If you are going to walk/take the bus/bike to school, you don't need to do it yet, but be aware that you can register for an ATP pass. It's free and gives you the privilege of parking in north deck twice a month if there is bad weather, you need to leave for the airport, you don't feel like walking/running late, whatever. [You can also always park for free in North Deck if you get there after 5:30 and bring your UGA id, so don't buy a pass just because you are worried about walking home at night]
Is there a reason you are in a hurry to get them? I don't know how you undergrad did it, but at UGA it doesn't matter when within the registration window you register for tickets. This is how it works: once you get your UGA ID there will be some point (I think around the first week of class) where you register for tickets. It is first based on how many UGA hours you have (1Ls who didn't go to UGA for undergrad are treated like freshmen). Then it's lottery. Usually 1Ls get a half package, meaning that they get 3 of the 6 home games. You do not get to choose which 3 you get. You will not likely have standing to get an away ticket of any kind, though you may certainly try. Now let's say you want a different home game from what you got. You can trade with a friend or sell your ticket to another student and use the proceeds to buy a ticket from someone to the game you want. You can also attempt to buy tickets that get donated by students who find, a week or so in advance, that they cannot attend one of their games. The only deal with selling your ticket is that the student you sell it to must also have registered for tickets (IIRC). So for example, let's say you decide that you don't want to register for football tickets at all. You cannot then buy a ticket off of someone and have it transferred to your UGA ID. It must be a situation where you tried to get tickets for that game and failed. Again, I'm going off memory, but I'm pretty sure that is the rule. Away tickets are issued as paper tickets, so you can sell them to anyone you want or anyone can sell theirs to you.

Think carefully about whether or not you actually want to go to games. There is a 3 strikes policy for game attendance. If you have a ticket and don't go to a game that is a strike. Once you get three, no more football tickets for you in the future. You only get until the Wednesday before the game to decide to donate your ticket so no last minute decision making. You'll have to go scan your ticket and walk out to avoid the penalty (which can be a pain). You have a 50% shot of one of your three games being the Thanksgiving weekend game (which means you may not be here or may prefer to go to a different rivalry game that weekend). You may also just want to drink at the tailgate (free beer (occasionally liquor) at the law school tailgate if you join SBA or you can pay $2 to get a wristband if you aren't a member). I found that I prefer to go to the tailgate then go home and watch my UG play football/go to a bar and watch the game/do work/take a nap/whatever. YMMV.

Sorry that was long,and probably confusing, but hopefully it was helpful.

tl;dr: the fact that you can't register for student tickets until after classes start makes no difference
you may not want tickets at all
you may only be able to get three games (not chosen by you) unless you went to UGA for undergrad
No rush per se - just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something. Thanks for the advice.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pballer

Bronze

Post by pballer » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:18 am

Just about every 1L got a full home package last year for what it's worth.

gregfootball2001

Silver

Post by gregfootball2001 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:49 pm

A month and a day! Just want to get started already.

epistemizer

New

Post by epistemizer » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:45 pm

gregfootball2001 wrote:A month and a day! Just want to get started already.
QFP. My understanding is that we will regret feeling this way before long. :)

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:33 pm

epistemizer wrote:
gregfootball2001 wrote:A month and a day! Just want to get started already.
QFP. My understanding is that we will regret feeling this way before long. :)
About a week before the memo is due. Lets say November 5th or so as an easy start date to remember.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gregfootball2001

Silver

Post by gregfootball2001 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:22 pm

So...parking.

Was offered N06. Any reason to extend the parking through summer '13? Or end it in May?

Thanks!

dawg12

New

Post by dawg12 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:29 pm

unless you know you're staying in Athens next summer there is no reason to get it past may now. You can apply for a parking pass for next summer, next summer. They don't run out of parking passes for north deck during the summer and there is no break in price for doing so now.

JuneLSATFail

New

Post by JuneLSATFail » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:12 pm

Is there a website or somewhere to contact any current 2Ls in regards to buying used books for 1L? Thanks

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:28 am

JuneLSATFail wrote:Is there a website or somewhere to contact any current 2Ls in regards to buying used books for 1L? Thanks
Wait until orientation. You'll get an email from SBA about it and/or westlaw login info to use (there is a message board we use for books there). Did you guys get your sections already?

Also most of your first readings can be found online or on reserve if you want to order online/ take your time getting books.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”