Seton Hall Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
allmodcons

New

Seton Hall Class of 2015

Post by allmodcons » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:33 pm

Last edited by allmodcons on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cphal

New

Re: Seton Hall Class of 2015

Post by cphal » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:40 pm

I am glad someone finally started this! I went to accepted students day last weekend and really loved it. I have been fortunate enough to get into some top 25 schools and was not even going to consider Seton Hall (I am instate and kinda wanted to get out of NJ haha), but i was truly captivated by the staff and the school itself. Safe to say, it is one of the top runners in my cycle for sure!

sumtimesuwonder

New

Post by sumtimesuwonder » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:38 am

cphal wrote:I am glad someone finally started this! I went to accepted students day last weekend and really loved it. I have been fortunate enough to get into some top 25 schools and was not even going to consider Seton Hall (I am instate and kinda wanted to get out of NJ haha), but i was truly captivated by the staff and the school itself. Safe to say, it is one of the top runners in my cycle for sure!
I hear you. I really enjoyed myself at the accepted students day, and have also got into some schools that have a slightly better reputation. I feel like I'd be a good fit but I'm pretty worried about the schools rep/ the crazy amount of competition in the area.

Diceman102

New

Post by Diceman102 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:18 pm

Hey guys, was there a mock class during ASD? I'm going to the April event and was just wondering. Thanks!

cphal

New

Post by cphal » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:53 pm

Diceman102 wrote:Hey guys, was there a mock class during ASD? I'm going to the April event and was just wondering. Thanks!
I do not beleive that was an option that day... We mostly had a welcome speech from various individuals (including the dean, who seemed awsome) and broke off into different sections that focused on what we were interested in (for example i went to the litigation/private practice discussion). From there we met up again as a group to talk about statistics and ended with a lunch/tour/neighborhood walkabout. Overall, I had a great time and it was an eye opener of how nice it really is (the school lol not the area around it sadly)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diceman102

New

Post by Diceman102 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:47 pm

cphal wrote:
Diceman102 wrote:Hey guys, was there a mock class during ASD? I'm going to the April event and was just wondering. Thanks!
I do not beleive that was an option that day... We mostly had a welcome speech from various individuals (including the dean, who seemed awsome) and broke off into different sections that focused on what we were interested in (for example i went to the litigation/private practice discussion). From there we met up again as a group to talk about statistics and ended with a lunch/tour/neighborhood walkabout. Overall, I had a great time and it was an eye opener of how nice it really is (the school lol not the area around it sadly)
O ok. Yea Newark can be a little scary in some parts but I think around Seton Hall is safe and much to do. Your day sounded interesting though, I can't wait to attend.

allmodcons

New

Post by allmodcons » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:12 am

Last edited by allmodcons on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JK910

New

Post by JK910 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:58 am

The cost of living is crazy high near the school... One of the things steering me away from SHU. I'm not sure I can justify outrageously high tuition (even with scholly money) and high cost of living. Doesnt seem to be very smart considering the very uncertain job prospects/salaries. I don't really want to be spending a fortune paying back law school loans when I should be buying a nice house and spending money on my future kids. However, the school is really awesome and I'm still considering the options.

allmodcons wrote:
sumtimesuwonder wrote:
cphal wrote:I am glad someone finally started this! I went to accepted students day last weekend and really loved it. I have been fortunate enough to get into some top 25 schools and was not even going to consider Seton Hall (I am instate and kinda wanted to get out of NJ haha), but i was truly captivated by the staff and the school itself. Safe to say, it is one of the top runners in my cycle for sure!
I hear you. I really enjoyed myself at the accepted students day, and have also got into some schools that have a slightly better reputation. I feel like I'd be a good fit but I'm pretty worried about the schools rep/ the crazy amount of competition in the area.
Same here to both of these. To anyone committed or close, where do you plan on living?

KibblesnBitts

Bronze

Post by KibblesnBitts » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:25 pm

JK910 wrote:The cost of living is crazy high near the school... One of the things steering me away from SHU. I'm not sure I can justify outrageously high tuition (even with scholly money) and high cost of living. Doesnt seem to be very smart considering the very uncertain job prospects/salaries. I don't really want to be spending a fortune paying back law school loans when I should be buying a nice house and spending money on my future kids. However, the school is really awesome and I'm still considering the options.

allmodcons wrote:
sumtimesuwonder wrote:
Same here to both of these. To anyone committed or close, where do you plan on living?
I am highly considering Eleven80 - it may be expensive, but I'm willing to put a little extra into my 1L to make sure I don't falter and don't do as well as possible.

However, I'm down to Seton Hall and one other school, but as of now if I go to Seton Hall, that's my plan.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

iceicebaby

Bronze

Post by iceicebaby » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:30 pm

I deposited at Seton Hall and took a scholly award... honestly I really enjoyed ASW and especially enjoyed the events they had for the merit scholars. Talked to a few profs, know a few current students, and spoke with a couple of alumni and just really got a good vibe from the place. Personally, I think their building is beautiful and chic. The staff was really nice and it seemed like the majority of students do very well for themselves over their careers. The biggest factor is that my girlfriend lives and works in Manhattan, so I would be getting an apartment with her which will hopefully cost less than $1100/month to split a nice 1 BR. Can't beat the quality of life, that's for sure! I personally didn't like the other NYC-area schools (Cardozo, Rutgers-Newark, Brooklyn, St. John's, Hofstra) when I visited and think the 15 minute ride on the PATH is not bad AT ALL. Many of the students live in Hoboken and/or Jersey City, so if you don't like Newark (like me) then you can check for places there.

I'm waiting on a couple of wait lists (UConn, Richmond, and WUSTL), but I am honestly pretty excited about attending SH. UConn would be cheap (living at home, $24k/year in-state), but I will be away from the gf and certainly have a lower quality of life. Plus, I want to try my hand at landing something in NYC if I can. Richmond is nice, but will probably cost about the same tbh but I will be further from friends/family/gf. WUSTL is such a sweet school, but will be $$$ and really, really far away. That's sort of where my head is at now, so I think more than likely I will be at Seton Hall this Fall.

RU12345

New

Post by RU12345 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:47 pm

Anyone whose def set on going to Seton Hall looking for a room mate to live in nearby Cranford or one of those neighboring cities?

iceicebaby

Bronze

Post by iceicebaby » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:07 am

Looks like I'm locked in for Seton Hall... they just upgraded my scholarship to Presidential Scholarship ($25k/year).

Anyone start a fb group yet?

ryguy216

New

Post by ryguy216 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:45 pm

I'll be attending Seton Hall too. I'll probably live in Brooklyn and commute, girlfriend has a job in Manhattan as well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

iceicebaby

Bronze

Post by iceicebaby » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:40 pm

ryguy216 wrote:I'll be attending Seton Hall too. I'll probably live in Brooklyn and commute, girlfriend has a job in Manhattan as well.
Sweet, welcome to the club! Dunno if I could honestly do the Brooklyn to Newark commute, but I know that Mimi Huang (Asst. Dean of Admissions) does it and says it isn't so bad... but yeah prob also living with the gf in Manhattan, def. hoping to find something nice but not too expensive. Upper East Side has places for about $1000-$1200 each, I feel like that's pretty decent.

Pretty excited! Anyone going to the Seton Hall law school prep thing in June?

Also: here is the fb group for Seton Hall Class of 2015 https://www.facebook.com/groups/390940144261417/

BrunetteElle

New

Post by BrunetteElle » Thu May 17, 2012 12:01 pm

i see this is a pretty quiet thread lol .. but also attending, put my deposit down :)

iceicebaby

Bronze

Post by iceicebaby » Thu May 17, 2012 12:58 pm

BrunetteElle wrote:i see this is a pretty quiet thread lol .. but also attending, put my deposit down :)
Yeah, it's pretty lame and makes me feel like there's going to be about 40 people in our incoming class haha

Eve0000

New

Post by Eve0000 » Thu May 17, 2012 1:17 pm

Hey guys! Will also be definitely attending Seton Hall this fall. Already put my first deposit down. Will most likely be living in Hoboken with the bf.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BrunetteElle

New

Post by BrunetteElle » Thu May 17, 2012 2:01 pm

iceicebaby wrote:
BrunetteElle wrote:i see this is a pretty quiet thread lol .. but also attending, put my deposit down :)
Yeah, it's pretty lame and makes me feel like there's going to be about 40 people in our incoming class haha
lmao seriously ... i just saw/joined the facebook group and i see there's like... less than 20 people.

BrunetteElle

New

Post by BrunetteElle » Thu May 17, 2012 2:02 pm

Eve0000 wrote:Hey guys! Will also be definitely attending Seton Hall this fall. Already put my first deposit down. Will most likely be living in Hoboken with the bf.
yayyy! another person! :) lol

KibblesnBitts

Bronze

Post by KibblesnBitts » Thu May 17, 2012 8:07 pm

BrunetteElle wrote:
Eve0000 wrote:Hey guys! Will also be definitely attending Seton Hall this fall. Already put my first deposit down. Will most likely be living in Hoboken with the bf.
I was considering Hoboken, but the apartment costs are unbelievably high. I'd move there if I can find a decent place for under $1,500/month

Eve0000

New

Post by Eve0000 » Fri May 18, 2012 10:41 am

KibblesnBitts wrote:
BrunetteElle wrote:
I was considering Hoboken, but the apartment costs are unbelievably high. I'd move there if I can find a decent place for under $1,500/month

Agreed, Hoboken is expensive. If you can find a roommate to live with, you can definitely get a decent 2 bedroom for around $2000. Split between 2 people, that would be well within your budget. I am in the process of searching for an apt there now so I can let you know if I see anything.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

iceicebaby

Bronze

Post by iceicebaby » Fri May 18, 2012 11:02 am

I'm doing the whole Manhattan apt search with the girlfriend. I can't believe how ridiculously expensive some of these places are, but at least splitting a 1 bedroom two ways makes it somewhat affordable. If I had my way, we'd also be looking in Hoboken, but it's evident that I don't have my way :|

Still, it will be nice to live in Manhattan... like an oasis away from law school (or so I hope).

KibblesnBitts

Bronze

Post by KibblesnBitts » Fri May 18, 2012 12:59 pm

Eve0000 wrote: Agreed, Hoboken is expensive. If you can find a roommate to live with, you can definitely get a decent 2 bedroom for around $2000. Split between 2 people, that would be well within your budget. I am in the process of searching for an apt there now so I can let you know if I see anything.
I'm hoping to find someone who needs a roommate for the event happening on June 22 for the most part. If not, it's looking a lot like Eleven80 for me.

Diceman102

New

Post by Diceman102 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:03 am

Seton hall gets such a bad rap on here that ppl going to SHU stay away from TLS.

That said, anyone going to the "Road to 1L" program next Friday ?

BrunetteElle

New

Post by BrunetteElle » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:31 am

Diceman102 wrote:That said, anyone going to the "Road to 1L" program next Friday ?
i am!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”