University of Minnesota Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
woodscommaL

Bronze

University of Minnesota Class of 2015

Post by woodscommaL » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:34 pm

Submitting my deposit tonight, so I thought this thread needed to be made.

Anyone else know they're going to Minnesota?

Also, anyone looking for a delightful roommate? Haha

Alan

Bronze

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2015

Post by Alan » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:01 pm

Hey, thanks for making the thread!

I will be attending UMN too. I just got accepted the other day and am thrilled.

Who all is planning on going to ASD? Ill be there.

Are yall from Minn? Im OOS. Grew up in Dallas.

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:03 pm

Probably about a 65% chance I'll end up here. (Don't ask me how I came up with that 65% number)

I went to the first ASW and I'll say I was blown away.

Only thing that is keeping me from just depositing right now is worries about the law-market in MN

aten2080

New

Post by aten2080 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:30 pm

I'll be there this fall. I'll also be there for ASW in April!

wallflower1987

New

Post by wallflower1987 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:49 pm

I just got accepted last week with a $19,000 per year scholarship... a day after getting a $32,500 scholarship at Nebraska (both per year). Am still waiting on Colorado and need something to really create some separation between the schools... I haven't visited yet. What made you guys choose Minnesota? I don't care if it's dumb (or seems like a bad reason)... the ranking I get, obviously. What else?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

woodscommaL

Bronze

Post by woodscommaL » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:25 am

I've taken it upon myself to answer all of y'alls' questions:

Alan: I'm originally from MN, but moved out of state during high school, then attended undergrad in MN.

ThreeRivers: Come. To. Minnesota. I need someone to go to every gopher hockey game with me :) The law market is fiiiiine, I will find you a job.

wallflower1987: I chose the U of MN because of the ranking and location (and I got good money). Minnesota is the best state to live in, no question.

wallflower1987

New

Post by wallflower1987 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:16 am

woodscommaL wrote: wallflower1987: I chose the U of MN because of the ranking and location (and I got good money). Minnesota is the best state to live in, no question.
I am going to need more enthusiasm. Minneapolis is a cold place. I'm not implying it is not a good idea, but why would borrowing $100,000 over three years for Minnesota be better than $40,000 or so at Nebraska? Don't just say that Minnesota (state or school) is better than Nebraska like that is an indisputable fact. I just want to know what reasons you have (other than being from Minnesota; I'm not) for thinking it would be worth the extra cost. I want to make the right decision, and I am having a hard time stomaching either option: turning down free tuition at Nebraska or turning down a top 20 acceptance + half tuition scholarship (I get reciprocity, so $19,000 is about half tuition)... and that is before Colorado enters the fray, potentially... these are the right problems to have, I guess, but they are still tough choices. I have to find Nebraska people to advocate for their school, and I'm visiting both (and Colorado, if I like the letter they just sent) in the next week or two. If the weather is good, I know exactly how awesome all three places can be this time of year.

Problems: Minnesota law building sucks (compared to Colorado, and even Nebraska).

Non-problems: Minnesota legal market is not Chicago. If I wanted to go to Chicago, I would have tried for WUSTL or Notre Dame, or even really reached... I don't want to be that far east; same reason I didn't apply to Iowa, which is just an expensive satellite Chicago school (unless you really want to stay in Pig-Shit Iowa, the agricultural asshole of America, replete with giant hog farms, slow roads and some even slower people).

No, I know the basics, and I can read the rankings... what are the specific intangibles that made you decide to pay more at Minnesota than you most likely would have at another, slightly lower-ranked school? Allegiance to Minnesota, like I said, does not work for me... I don't have any. In terms of state loyalty, I'd much sooner go to Nebraska. Sell the school; the state has not won me over. Thanks!

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:21 am

wallflower1987 wrote:
woodscommaL wrote: wallflower1987: I chose the U of MN because of the ranking and location (and I got good money). Minnesota is the best state to live in, no question.
I am going to need more enthusiasm. Minneapolis is a cold place. I'm not implying it is not a good idea, but why would borrowing $100,000 over three years for Minnesota be better than $40,000 or so at Nebraska? Don't just say that Minnesota (state or school) is better than Nebraska like that is an indisputable fact. I just want to know what reasons you have (other than being from Minnesota; I'm not) for thinking it would be worth the extra cost. I want to make the right decision, and I am having a hard time stomaching either option: turning down free tuition at Nebraska or turning down a top 20 acceptance + half tuition scholarship (I get reciprocity, so $19,000 is about half tuition)... and that is before Colorado enters the fray, potentially... these are the right problems to have, I guess, but they are still tough choices. I have to find Nebraska people to advocate for their school, and I'm visiting both (and Colorado, if I like the letter they just sent) in the next week or two. If the weather is good, I know exactly how awesome all three places can be this time of year.

Problems: Minnesota law building sucks (compared to Colorado, and even Nebraska).

Non-problems: Minnesota legal market is not Chicago. If I wanted to go to Chicago, I would have tried for WUSTL or Notre Dame, or even really reached... I don't want to be that far east; same reason I didn't apply to Iowa, which is just an expensive satellite Chicago school (unless you really want to stay in Pig-Shit Iowa, the agricultural asshole of America, replete with giant hog farms, slow roads and some even slower people).

No, I know the basics, and I can read the rankings... what are the specific intangibles that made you decide to pay more at Minnesota than you most likely would have at another, slightly lower-ranked school? Allegiance to Minnesota, like I said, does not work for me... I don't have any. In terms of state loyalty, I'd much sooner go to Nebraska. Sell the school; the state has not won me over. Thanks!
Wallflower, I'm not trying to be rude but you keep posting things stating how much you don't want to go to UMN but want to be convinced otherwise. Idk no one's going to have a perfect answer and you definitely should not attend UMN just because of a ranking. It is really impossible to give "your" answer or even an answer for everyone, since everyone's circumstances are different . I guess I'll just post how I personally am in the situation of probably attending UMN:

I wish I could state that UMN was my "dream school since I was 7" and some romanticized version, but it was not. I received a fee waiver / did some quick research and it appeared to be a good school so I figured "eh, its $16 I'll see what happens / I could see a scenario in which I ended up attending." So I submitted an app.

I was expecting to compare lower offers from higher ranked schools to a higher offer from my local school (Pitt). Pitt ended up giving me a disappointing scholarship offer while other schools (UMN) gave me surprisingly nice offers. I spent WAY too much time doing research of employment outlook for each school / the different cities and narrowed it down to UMN and Boston University. Pitt's employment statistic scared the hell out of me. Before becoming committed to leaving Pittsburgh I contacted several Pittsburgh lawyers / recent Pitt grads/ "friend of a friend" types here about Pitt Law compared to UMN in the Pittsburgh area and they pretty much unanimously said that firms here aren't that impressed by Pitt (at all) and the even alums in hiring prefer to hire Pittsburghers who went to schools with better reputation. In fact, I spoke to one individual involved in hiring who told me he would definitely be more impressed by a UMN graduate. Because of this, I decided to scratch Pitt off. I feel like UMN gives me just as good of a shot at the few Pittsburgh jobs available but also more options (something in the Twin Cities which I really wouldn't mind relocating to). If I went to Pitt and missed out on the couple of firms in Pittsburgh, I'd be screwed. It just ended up being the same price for imo a much better job outlook, so the decision became kind of easy.

I'm also 23, no one dependent upon me, no SO, and willing to relocate so my decision is less complicated than others. In addition I loved UMN / Minneapolis in general during my visit there. I'm still waiting to see if BU gives me a scholarship offer and if they match UMN then I'll be back to making a tough decision

Basically for me it came down to a combination of:
Job outlook, cost of attending, and if I would like to live in that area.

Your situation is different, you got a free-ride to your local school so it becomes more complicated. Idk much about Nebraska, but from just basic employment statistics UMN appears to offer a better job outlook than Nebraska. I believe you should look at the decision as a combination of job outlook, cost of attending, and if you would like to live here. Of course, everyone's situation is different and I can't possibly know all the factors into your life

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:24 am

woodscommaL wrote:
ThreeRivers: Come. To. Minnesota. I need someone to go to every gopher hockey game with me :) The law market is fiiiiine, I will find you a job.
In reality, this is the REAL reason why I'll probably attend Minnesota 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wallflower1987

New

Post by wallflower1987 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:20 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:
wallflower1987 wrote:

Wallflower, I'm not trying to be rude but you keep posting things stating how much you don't want to go to UMN but want to be convinced otherwise. Idk no one's going to have a perfect answer and you definitely should not attend UMN just because of a ranking. It is really impossible to give "your" answer or even an answer for everyone, since everyone's circumstances are different . I guess I'll just post how I personally am in the situation of probably attending UMN:

I wish I could state that UMN was my "dream school since I was 7" and some romanticized version, but it was not. I received a fee waiver / did some quick research and it appeared to be a good school so I figured "eh, its $16 I'll see what happens / I could see a scenario in which I ended up attending." So I submitted an app.

I was expecting to compare lower offers from higher ranked schools to a higher offer from my local school (Pitt). Pitt ended up giving me a disappointing scholarship offer while other schools (UMN) gave me surprisingly nice offers. I spent WAY too much time doing research of employment outlook for each school / the different cities and narrowed it down to UMN and Boston University. Pitt's employment statistic scared the hell out of me. Before becoming committed to leaving Pittsburgh I contacted several Pittsburgh lawyers / recent Pitt grads/ "friend of a friend" types here about Pitt Law compared to UMN in the Pittsburgh area and they pretty much unanimously said that firms here aren't that impressed by Pitt (at all) and the even alums in hiring prefer to hire Pittsburghers who went to schools with better reputation. In fact, I spoke to one individual involved in hiring who told me he would definitely be more impressed by a UMN graduate. Because of this, I decided to scratch Pitt off. I feel like UMN gives me just as good of a shot at the few Pittsburgh jobs available but also more options (something in the Twin Cities which I really wouldn't mind relocating to). If I went to Pitt and missed out on the couple of firms in Pittsburgh, I'd be screwed. It just ended up being the same price for imo a much better job outlook, so the decision became kind of easy.

I'm also 23, no one dependent upon me, no SO, and willing to relocate so my decision is less complicated than others. In addition I loved UMN / Minneapolis in general during my visit there. I'm still waiting to see if BU gives me a scholarship offer and if they match UMN then I'll be back to making a tough decision

Your situation is different, you got a free-ride to your local school so it becomes more complicated. Idk much about Nebraska, but from just basic employment statistics UMN appears to offer a better job outlook than Nebraska. I believe you should look at the decision as a combination of job outlook, cost of attending, and if you would like to live here. Of course, everyone's situation is different and I can't possibly know all the factors into your life
Thanks for your candor... Nebraska isn't exactly local for me, but it is close(ish) to home... I am 25 but no dependents etc. And I'm willing to relocate... I just have a tough time being enthusiastic about turning down either offer is what it comes down to... This is going to be a difficult decision and I think the visits will be a huge part of the decision, to be honest. Any decision is going to involve giving up something great... just hope it turns out to be a great choice!!! I will be revisiting this thread (constantly) to keep pestering people for the next few weeks. I still think there is a good chance I may end up at Minnesota... I just have to make that decision. I don't think it's going to get easier. :(

woodscommaL

Bronze

Post by woodscommaL » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:35 pm

Wallflower1987: I apologize for giving an over simplified answer, but its difficult to tell you what you want to hear if I dont know what youre looking for in a school. But, dont mistake my simplicity for lack of enthusiasm, I love the U and will break out my maroon and gold body paint and proclaim my love from the rooftops to prove it haha.

in contrast to ThreeRivers, the U of MN has been my romanticized dream since childhood. I have always planned to do biotech IP, and minnesota is the largest biotech hub in the US. It's also where all of my ties/networks are, so it makes sense for me to stay in the Twin Cities. I chose the U specifically because of its ranking, IP program, study abroad opportunities, scholarship, and discounted gopher hockey season tickets (if I said I was kidding about the last one, it'd be a lie). For me and my life plans, the U is a perfect fit.

You obviously need to figure out what is most important to you and your goals. But from your post it seems like your only objections are the cold and the building and these are not factors that have any measurable effect on the quality of the education you will recieve or your job prospects. I personally won't be hanging out in the law building outside of classes, there are plenty of places to study in minneapolis that are more aesthetically pleasing if thats important to you.

And no offense, but I dont understand why youre ripping on iowa so much if youre considering attending nebraska. I would take iowa over nebraska everyday of the week and twice on sundays haha.

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:06 pm

wallflower1987 wrote:
ThreeRivers wrote:
wallflower1987 wrote:

Thanks for your candor... Nebraska isn't exactly local for me, but it is close(ish) to home... I am 25 but no dependents etc. And I'm willing to relocate... I just have a tough time being enthusiastic about turning down either offer is what it comes down to... This is going to be a difficult decision and I think the visits will be a huge part of the decision, to be honest. Any decision is going to involve giving up something great... just hope it turns out to be a great choice!!! I will be revisiting this thread (constantly) to keep pestering people for the next few weeks. I still think there is a good chance I may end up at Minnesota... I just have to make that decision. I don't think it's going to get easier. :(
Yea, I understand... this will probably be one of the larger decisions we'll make in our lives which makes it quite difficult for most of us.

As one can tell from me / woodscommaL probably everyone ends up here (or somewhere else) for their own personal reason.

I'd encourage to visit and see what you think!

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:08 pm

I know NOTHING about architecture but I really never understood the TLS hate for UMN's law building. I thought it was fine tbh

I agree though, this should basically be a non-factor imo

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

woodscommaL

Bronze

Post by woodscommaL » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:48 am

ThreeRivers wrote:I know NOTHING about architecture but I really never understood the TLS hate for UMN's law building. I thought it was fine tbh

You know what law school really is ugly? BU. Also, their hockey team is subpar and they waitlisted me...clear evidence that they don't have their shit together. You probably shouldn't go there.

(have I convinced you yet? haha)

wallflower1987

New

Post by wallflower1987 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:38 am

woodscommaL wrote:Wallflower1987: I apologize for giving an over simplified answer, but its difficult to tell you what you want to hear if I dont know what youre looking for in a school. But, dont mistake my simplicity for lack of enthusiasm, I love the U and will break out my maroon and gold body paint and proclaim my love from the rooftops to prove it haha.

in contrast to ThreeRivers, the U of MN has been my romanticized dream since childhood. I have always planned to do biotech IP, and minnesota is the largest biotech hub in the US. It's also where all of my ties/networks are, so it makes sense for me to stay in the Twin Cities. I chose the U specifically because of its ranking, IP program, study abroad opportunities, scholarship, and discounted gopher hockey season tickets (if I said I was kidding about the last one, it'd be a lie). For me and my life plans, the U is a perfect fit.

You obviously need to figure out what is most important to you and your goals. But from your post it seems like your only objections are the cold and the building and these are not factors that have any measurable effect on the quality of the education you will recieve or your job prospects. I personally won't be hanging out in the law building outside of classes, there are plenty of places to study in minneapolis that are more aesthetically pleasing if thats important to you.

And no offense, but I dont understand why youre ripping on iowa so much if youre considering attending nebraska. I would take iowa over nebraska everyday of the week and twice on sundays haha.
Well the cold I was joking about... I'm from South Dakota... the cold I can handle. Also, Nebraska is boring to drive across, but their speed limits aren't 55 everywhere, and they haven't been overrun by giant hog farms. I like Iowa, and Iowegians enough ( :) ), but I wouldn't want to live there.

I've never done more than fly through Minneapolis, so I don't know the city at all. I got into Colorado, so my decision just became that much more difficult... I think I am going to have to visit all the schools to know at all what I want. In term of the program, Colorado interests me most. In terms of cost, Nebraska is best. In terms of ranking/prestige, Minnesota is tops. So who knows. I guess if Colorado came back with a full ride offer, that would solve everything, but I don't see that happening. Looks like it will be a tough decision after all.

wallflower1987

New

Post by wallflower1987 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:44 am

ThreeRivers wrote:I know NOTHING about architecture but I really never understood the TLS hate for UMN's law building. I thought it was fine tbh

It's not the architecture, per se... I just went to a private school for undergrad and it was old and seemed dilapidated compared to some state schools, and I always resented the cost even more because our facilities sucked. I think I have to see it in person. I'm not hung up on this, just trying to find differences between the schools that mean enough to make a decision. Anything I pick at wasn't enough for me to dislike the school. Minnesota, Colorado and Nebraska are my 3 top choices. I just have to pick one and it has not been easy.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:46 am

Pretty close to committing to UMN, but I'll join the thread anyways.

I'm from the twin cities and went to undergrad here too so I'd be glad to help anyone one with questions. I know the area well so housing is something I can be a resource for, in particular.

Also, Minnesota has the best hockey culture in the states. If you like hockey you will love it here.

The building is also not nearly as bad as certain people have made it out to be. I spent about 45 minutes exploring it the other day (on top of getting a tour) and found nothing objectionable.

Anyways, looking forward to meeting you all at the next ASW or in the fall if I attend.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:46 am

You won't notice the cold. No time to go outside, and we have tunnels/skyways for when you need coffee.

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:50 am

wallflower1987 wrote:

It's not the architecture, per se... I just went to a private school for undergrad and it was old and seemed dilapidated compared to some state schools, and I always resented the cost even more because our facilities sucked. I think I have to see it in person. I'm not hung up on this, just trying to find differences between the schools that mean enough to make a decision. Anything I pick at wasn't enough for me to dislike the school. Minnesota, Colorado and Nebraska are my 3 top choices. I just have to pick one and it has not been easy.
And my undergrad was built in the forest out of concrete in the 60s. Makes UMN seem full of light! Though actually, the architect did pull some nice tricks to get natural light into most of the sub plaza. The only truly dungeon like rooms are the 100+ seat classrooms and the big torture chamber... I mean lecture hall.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:51 am

Woods, if I hear of people looking for roommates I'll let you know too. Most of my friends are graduating or in sororities/fraternities so I don't know much at the moment

MidwestJosh

Bronze

Post by MidwestJosh » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:27 am

Folks, let's keep the discussion in this thread for those who are for sure attending Minnesota in the class of 2015. I know some are still on the fence, and there are other sections of the forum for that. Thanks.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:30 pm

Meh, there are 3 people who are 100% sure . Every single class of thread has some discussion by those who are probably attending said school

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:34 pm

woodscommaL wrote:

You know what law school really is ugly? BU. Also, their hockey team is subpar and they waitlisted me...clear evidence that they don't have their shit together. You probably shouldn't go there.

(have I convinced you yet? haha)
<looking for deposit slip now lol

Alan

Bronze

Post by Alan » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:36 pm

MidwestJosh wrote:Folks, let's keep the discussion in this thread for those who are for sure attending Minnesota in the class of 2015.
Agreed. Or at least mostly sure.
minnbills wrote: Also, Minnesota has the best hockey culture in the states. If you like hockey you will love it here.
uhmm I dont like hockey but I am receptive to becoming a die hard Twolves and Vikings fan. K-LOVE!!!!
ThreeRivers wrote:[I wish I could state that UMN was my "dream school since I was 7" and some romanticized version, but it was not. I received a fee waiver / did some quick research and it appeared to be a good school so I figured "eh, its $16 I'll see what happens / I could see a scenario in which I ended up attending." So I submitted an app.

lol, same here.
wallflower1987 wrote: Same reason I didn't apply to Iowa, which is just an expensive satellite Chicago school (unless you really want to stay in Pig-Shit Iowa, the agricultural asshole of America, replete with giant hog farms, slow roads and some even slower people).
This is very rude.

wallflower1987

New

Post by wallflower1987 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:42 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:Meh, there are 3 people who are 100% sure . Every single class of thread has some discussion by those who are probably attending said school
Thanks... it was a little off-putting to be told not to post by someone... it is a forum for people who are going to Minnesota... what better place for people to talk about the school and the possibility of their going? I'm not candidly discussing the school, I'm trying to decide. And there is at least a 50% likelihood that I will end up at Minnesota at this point.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”