Boston University Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
landla

Bronze

Re: Boston University Class of 2015

Post by landla » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:57 am

This post is no longer applicable. :)
Last edited by landla on Mon May 21, 2012 6:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

OneSixtySix

Bronze

Post by OneSixtySix » Fri May 11, 2012 8:27 pm

Current BU 2L-soon-to-be-3L here.

On the off chance that anybody is looking for a place for a 10-12 week period between May 21 and Aug 15, I'll be out of town and am looking to sublet my apartment. Unfortunately, there would not be an option to renew the lease, as I'll be coming back for the next year on the 15th, however if you needed to move to Boston early, we could be a fit.

The apartment is located in Brookline on the "C" line of the MBTA Green Line and also within a 1 mile walk of the law tower. Rent is about $750/mo.

Send me a PM for details.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Thu May 17, 2012 1:53 pm

Last edited by stillwater on Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mizz

New

Post by Mizz » Fri May 18, 2012 9:15 am

Barring acceptance off the one WL I'm still on, I'll be at BU in the fall. Just sent in my deposit.

landla

Bronze

Post by landla » Mon May 21, 2012 6:07 am

Does anyone have suggestions for negotiating in terms of when to stop/if you are asking for too much? The school increased my scholarship, but I still need more to truly justify attending in comparison to other options. I don't want to be that aggravating person constantly negotiating, but even a seemingly small scholarship can make a big difference over three years.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mizz

New

Post by Mizz » Mon May 21, 2012 9:38 am

landla wrote:Does anyone have suggestions for negotiating in terms of when to stop/if you are asking for too much? The school increased my scholarship, but I still need more to truly justify attending in comparison to other options. I don't want to be that aggravating person constantly negotiating, but even a seemingly small scholarship can make a big difference over three years.
What are your other options currently?

I negotiated another 3k/year out of them, but then ran into deadlines where I had to make a decision of where to deposit. They never did 100% match my offers from WashU and BC, but I feel like if I had more time I might have been able to. If you've still got time before you need to put down money, I'd just be very polite and frank with them about your situation. Tell them BU is your first choice and that you'd really love to go all things being equal. If another school has a lower cost of living or something like that, tell them that too and see if they can even it out compared to your other acceptances.

jmarFTL

New

Post by jmarFTL » Tue May 22, 2012 2:22 pm

Hey all,

Just introducing myself, I'm gonna be attending BU Law in the fall like you all. I actually went to BU for undergrad as well, so I figured I'd take some questions about the campus and Boston in general for those who have never been. Obviously I'm a 0L like you so I don't have any more insight into the actual law school than you guys do, but feel free to ask about anything else BU-related.

bingbang1025

Bronze

Post by bingbang1025 » Wed May 23, 2012 8:20 pm

jmarFTL wrote:Hey all,

Just introducing myself, I'm gonna be attending BU Law in the fall like you all. I actually went to BU for undergrad as well, so I figured I'd take some questions about the campus and Boston in general for those who have never been. Obviously I'm a 0L like you so I don't have any more insight into the actual law school than you guys do, but feel free to ask about anything else BU-related.
What's BU Law's reputation in Boston/in general? I'm from SoCal and will be attending this fall.

jmarFTL

New

Post by jmarFTL » Thu May 24, 2012 12:32 pm

bingbang1025 wrote:

What's BU Law's reputation in Boston/in general? I'm from SoCal and will be attending this fall.
Like I said I went for undergrad, so I haven't really delved into the law scene too much beyond what you can find on this site and what can better be answered by others. I do know the Law School is very competitive, I knew a good number of very smart undergrads who didn't get in. As for reputation in Boston, by my understanding it's Harvard at the top, BU and BC on relatively even keel beneath that and Northeastern and Suffolk on the bottom (though Suffolk does have a great reputation and extensive alumni network, it is the go-to choice for many people in the area who can't get in at the upper-tier schools).

That's probably not much more insight than what the rankings will tell you, but hope it helps. Happy to answer any questions about the campus/Boston.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

landla

Bronze

Post by landla » Wed May 30, 2012 9:15 am

Just sent in my second deposit yesterday!

Also, there are a couple Boston area meetups that seem to be happening on the facebook site. I haven't done one, but I thought I'd share in case anyone was interested and not looking at the fb group.

photobooth

New

Post by photobooth » Wed May 30, 2012 9:11 pm

Hello, everyone! Checking in from California. :)

bingbang1025

Bronze

Post by bingbang1025 » Wed May 30, 2012 9:19 pm

photobooth wrote:Hello, everyone! Checking in from California. :)
+1. PM'd you, trying to get to know all the CA ppl :)

hadisious

Bronze

Post by hadisious » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:31 am

Hey everybody.

Another football fan checking in from down south. Go Panthers :-D Looking forward to meeting you all this year.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bingbang1025

Bronze

Post by bingbang1025 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:43 pm

Hi all. Pretty much given up on waitlists back on the westcoast and have decided I need to stop procrastinating on my apartment search. Just how hard is it going to be to find somewhere for under $700 within convenient distance of BU?

KAMPV1091

New

Post by KAMPV1091 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:57 pm

bingbang1025 wrote:Hi all. Pretty much given up on waitlists back on the westcoast and have decided I need to stop procrastinating on my apartment search. Just how hard is it going to be to find somewhere for under $700 within convenient distance of BU?
I went to BU for undergrad. Honestly, chances of that are not great. If you look in the Allston area, which is a little sketchy and gets loud on the weekend, you may be able to find something in your price range if you get a roommate. But that is about a 30 min walk to the law building. But taking the T (subway, which is actually above ground in that area of Boston) would cut the commute down to about 10/15 mins, but the T can be unreliable. You can also take the bus from Allston. Otherwise, apartments closer to campus will run you closer to 900 or 1000/month.

sumner

Bronze

Post by sumner » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:27 pm

Just introducing myself, I'm gonna be attending BU Law in the fall like you all. I actually went to BU for undergrad as well.
+1 I went to BU too! moving to the other end of campus to keep things interesting...

Decimal

New

Post by Decimal » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:57 pm

[Deleted, post no longer applicable]
Last edited by Decimal on Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mizz

New

Post by Mizz » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:09 am

What's the best way to go about looking for an apartment in the area? Are the sites they have listed on the website worthwhile or is it better to just use craigslist to find something?

landla

Bronze

Post by landla » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:24 am

Mizz wrote:What's the best way to go about looking for an apartment in the area? Are the sites they have listed on the website worthwhile or is it better to just use craigslist to find something?
There are some posted on the facebook group, a few here, and a ton on craigslist. I'd suggest the BU Off Campus Housing site, which seems to have the best deals and they are typically easy enough to get to BU from. If you use craigslist, try to find something by owner, not broker, because that will save you money (tenants pay broker fee) - though a lot of brokers post in that section, anyways.

Mizz

New

Post by Mizz » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:29 am

landla wrote:
Mizz wrote:What's the best way to go about looking for an apartment in the area? Are the sites they have listed on the website worthwhile or is it better to just use craigslist to find something?
There are some posted on the facebook group, a few here, and a ton on craigslist. I'd suggest the BU Off Campus Housing site, which seems to have the best deals and they are typically easy enough to get to BU from. If you use craigslist, try to find something by owner, not broker, because that will save you money (tenants pay broker fee) - though a lot of brokers post in that section, anyways.
Thanks.

Is it generally accepted that Allston/Brighton, Kenmore Square and Brookline are most cost-efficient areas that give access to the law school?

hadisious

Bronze

Post by hadisious » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:45 pm

Mizz wrote:
landla wrote:
Thanks.

Is it generally accepted that Allston/Brighton, Kenmore Square and Brookline are most cost-efficient areas that give access to the law school?
From what I understand this is correct. I am just moving to the area myself, but Allston, Brighton, and Brookline seem to be the cheapest places with close access to the school. Though I have heard some of these areas can be loud on weekends and such with lots of undergrads.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sumner

Bronze

Post by sumner » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:04 pm

hadisious wrote:
Mizz wrote:
landla wrote:
Thanks.

From what I understand this is correct. I am just moving to the area myself, but Allston, Brighton, and Brookline seem to be the cheapest places with close access to the school. Though I have heard some of these areas can be loud on weekends and such with lots of undergrads.
if you want to avoid undergrads then you should live in Brookline, but it is a little more expensive. you can find nice places in allston/brighton but it really depends on what street you're on. you only really notice how trashy allston is thu.-sat. after 10pm. definitely avoid ashford street because that's almost completely undergrads/frats and freshmen walk down there in groups on weekends and stand in the street trying to get into the frats.

rubydandun

New

Post by rubydandun » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:17 am

A spot just opened in our apartment in Boston!

The apartment is a very nice 4 bedroom/2 bathroom place located at Coolidge Corner in Brookline, MA. The area is very nice and eclectic, with everything you need within a couple of blocks of the building. The apartment is right by a T stop, and only a 15 minute trip from the law building. As for the rent, it is only $3300 for 4 people ($825 a person), including heat and hot water, which is a real steal for that area! All 3 roommates are incredibly easy-going, friendly and studious first year BU Law students.

If you are interested, please feel free to contact me via PM.

daloha

New

Post by daloha » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:04 pm

Hi,

I'm a 1L and my visiting Contracts prof. is Mark Pettit from BU. I was wondering if anyone would be so kind to access his old exams via:

[url]http://www.bu.edu/lawlibrary/restricted ... x.html[url]

Just thought I'd ask!

:D

sumner

Bronze

Post by sumner » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:38 pm

does anyone still check this?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”