USC class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
innernetp

Bronze

Re: USC class of 2015

Post by innernetp » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:17 pm

ttnguyen wrote:
ethicallawyer wrote:I just got in contact with the Orsini Apartments and I think they are willing to negotiate. If a few of us approach them together, we might be able to use that as a solid bargaining chip and get ourselves a savings of $150-200 per month. Let me know if you are interested and I can help coordinate this effort! I know every dollar counts so let's see what we can do...
I didn't even think about negotiating rents. What a great idea. Is anyone interested in living in Culver City near the new metro line? I guess I just want to be on the Westside, avoid driving, and avoid paying for a parking pass...
I have my heart set on Los Feliz... but I would be open minded to living by the light rail in Culver City. My plan is to hop on Craigslist a month before I'd like to move in and check out what's available. I think it's a much better way of getting the rent down. Im talking to someone about living in their backhouse, too! We'll see what happens.

ethicallawyer

New

Post by ethicallawyer » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:08 pm

The westside of LA is definitely the nicer side no doubt but I just don't want to have to fight with LA traffic. I've been in Hyde Park for the past 2 years and I think with any "unsafe" neighborhood, you just have to be smart about it.
That being said, the bus runs right in front of Orsini and drops you off near campus so unless you're wondering around for no good reason, you should be fine. I feel like the area closer to campus is shadier than the area near Staples Center/LA Live. Plus I want to live in a place with good amenities and all so that when I come home, I can actually enjoy my apartment and unwind a bit.

Also, make sure you confirm that the Culver City line will open in time for fall... Metro's website says its not opening yet and it might be a part of Phase 2, which in California means "good luck" - http://www.metro.net/projects/exposition/

ttnguyen

New

Post by ttnguyen » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:35 pm

ethicallawyer wrote:The westside of LA is definitely the nicer side no doubt but I just don't want to have to fight with LA traffic. I've been in Hyde Park for the past 2 years and I think with any "unsafe" neighborhood, you just have to be smart about it.
That being said, the bus runs right in front of Orsini and drops you off near campus so unless you're wondering around for no good reason, you should be fine. I feel like the area closer to campus is shadier than the area near Staples Center/LA Live. Plus I want to live in a place with good amenities and all so that when I come home, I can actually enjoy my apartment and unwind a bit.

Also, make sure you confirm that the Culver City line will open in time for fall... Metro's website says its not opening yet and it might be a part of Phase 2, which in California means "good luck" - http://www.metro.net/projects/exposition/
The culver line opens this week, I think tomorrow :) phase 2 is the part that goes from culver to santa monica. I asked the school about it and they said it will be a very viable/reliable option for us. I have a friend that lives at the Glo in DT and he loves it there too. I guess we'll see! I want to check out both neighborhoods.

ethicallawyer

New

Post by ethicallawyer » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:07 pm

has anyone had any success negotiating scholarships? I know it was mentioned earlier but have people gotten any response? Who did you contact? Dean Reid? or Brenda? or someone else?
I wonder if the fact that we accepted already ends any hope for getting some more aid...

themeb

New

Post by themeb » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:57 pm

ethicallawyer wrote:has anyone had any success negotiating scholarships? I know it was mentioned earlier but have people gotten any response? Who did you contact? Dean Reid? or Brenda? or someone else?
I wonder if the fact that we accepted already ends any hope for getting some more aid...
I sent an email to Mary appealing the decision and received a prompt, polite rejection.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

themeb

New

Post by themeb » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:00 pm

ttnguyen wrote:
ethicallawyer wrote:I just got in contact with the Orsini Apartments and I think they are willing to negotiate. If a few of us approach them together, we might be able to use that as a solid bargaining chip and get ourselves a savings of $150-200 per month. Let me know if you are interested and I can help coordinate this effort! I know every dollar counts so let's see what we can do...
I didn't even think about negotiating rents. What a great idea. Is anyone interested in living in Culver City near the new metro line? I guess I just want to be on the Westside, avoid driving, and avoid paying for a parking pass...
I'm considering the Culver City option too, although I still need to check out the area.

I thought about doing Terrace but (a) I don't want to commit right now, and housing assignments are soon; and (b) if I'm going to live close to campus for the convenience, and deal with the mediocre neighborhood, I may as well try to get a better value by shopping for private housing/roommates nearby rather than just going with what the university is offering.

coldpixies

New

Post by coldpixies » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:07 am

////////
Last edited by coldpixies on Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Bear 11

Bronze

Post by Golden Bear 11 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:15 am

themeb wrote:
ethicallawyer wrote:has anyone had any success negotiating scholarships? I know it was mentioned earlier but have people gotten any response? Who did you contact? Dean Reid? or Brenda? or someone else?
I sent an email to Mary appealing the decision and received a prompt, polite rejection.
Same here.

ktsai4

New

Post by ktsai4 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:28 pm

Golden Bear 11 wrote:
themeb wrote:
Same here.
I did get a rejection for additional scholarship as well.

As for housing, is anyone considering living at the usc housing? it is more expensive, but is dealing with subletting over the summer worth the hassle?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ttnguyen

New

Post by ttnguyen » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:12 am

I personally wasn't planning on subletting as I hope I'll have a summer position in LA :)

I know it's a little early but I started browsing today...how amazing is this house! I'm obsessed.

http://web.me.com/hilarylentini/1629_Ci ... ent.html#0

ktsai4

New

Post by ktsai4 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:48 pm

ttnguyen wrote:I personally wasn't planning on subletting as I hope I'll have a summer position in LA :)

I know it's a little early but I started browsing today...how amazing is this house! I'm obsessed.

http://web.me.com/hilarylentini/1629_Ci ... ent.html#0
That place is nice....

well, is there a place where usc law students generally live?

ethicallawyer

New

Post by ethicallawyer » Wed May 02, 2012 1:07 pm

there is a facebook group up just fyi... "USC Law Class of 2015"
I think it only has 15 people though so guess that leaves 165 to go!

FranklinSims

New

Post by FranklinSims » Thu May 03, 2012 6:05 pm

innernetp wrote:
ttnguyen wrote:
I have my heart set on Los Feliz... but I would be open minded to living by the light rail in Culver City. My plan is to hop on Craigslist a month before I'd like to move in and check out what's available. I think it's a much better way of getting the rent down. Im talking to someone about living in their backhouse, too! We'll see what happens.
I have a current 1L USC friend (male) looking for a room mate at Medici (closer to campus but owned by the same developer of Orsini). Let me know if interested, plus you could pick his brain about 1st year at USC

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Superfrankie

New

Post by Superfrankie » Tue May 08, 2012 9:53 pm

assigned terrace housing. anyone else?

AlphaGlam

New

Post by AlphaGlam » Wed May 16, 2012 3:25 am

Hey all! I just got accepted and am hoping to secure Terrace housing. Anyone else hoping for/gotten Terrace? I'm really excited to meet everyone.

bigstin

New

Post by bigstin » Thu May 24, 2012 7:44 pm

I'm in!! So excited! But now comes the hard part.. finding a place to live.

bingbang1025

Bronze

Post by bingbang1025 » Thu May 24, 2012 8:15 pm

bigstin wrote:I'm in!! So excited! But now comes the hard part.. finding a place to live.
just PM'd you :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bigstin

New

Post by bigstin » Fri May 25, 2012 7:38 am

bingbang1025 wrote:
bigstin wrote:I'm in!! So excited! But now comes the hard part.. finding a place to live.
just PM'd you :)
PM'd you back. Good luck!

Worker and Parasite

Bronze

Post by Worker and Parasite » Tue May 29, 2012 1:07 am

Ok, graduate housing is all filled up so that option's gone. And now I'm not even sure the Culver City expo line is going to open anytime soon so I'll have to look for closer options.

sdphill

Silver

Post by sdphill » Tue May 29, 2012 9:09 pm

Worker and Parasite wrote:Ok, graduate housing is all filled up so that option's gone. And now I'm not even sure the Culver City expo line is going to open anytime soon so I'll have to look for closer options.
Check your PMs!

ktsai4

New

Post by ktsai4 » Wed May 30, 2012 4:34 pm

I signed a lease for a 2BR $1600 apt on ellendale (less than a mile north of the law school building and a 10-15 minute walk to the building). Looking for a roommate to take the other room! PM me for details and floor plan!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rich_4

Bronze

Post by rich_4 » Thu May 31, 2012 3:59 pm

I took a tour of the law school last Friday and submitted my deposit on Monday! Looking forward to meeting all of you in the fall.

bingbang1025

Bronze

Post by bingbang1025 » Thu May 31, 2012 4:02 pm

rich_4 wrote:I took a tour of the law school last Friday and submitted my deposit on Monday! Looking forward to meeting all of you in the fall.
Is the next deposit deadline this Monday? asking bc I'm on the WL

sdphill

Silver

Post by sdphill » Thu May 31, 2012 7:41 pm

bingbang1025 wrote:
rich_4 wrote:I took a tour of the law school last Friday and submitted my deposit on Monday! Looking forward to meeting all of you in the fall.
It's July 1.

rich_4

Bronze

Post by rich_4 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:10 am

sdphill wrote:
bingbang1025 wrote:
It's July 1.
Yeah it's July 1. I got in off the WL so my first deadline was later than the one for regular admits.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”