Penn Law Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
QueMellow

Bronze

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Post by QueMellow » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:24 pm

iamrobk wrote:
justicefishy wrote:
iamrobk wrote:
westphillybandr wrote:And what about hte college certification form--when is that due?
No idea when its due but mine should be sent out next week.
I should do that soon too. Also, where's everyone living next year?
Nice little studio apartment in a house at 42nd and Spruce. Very excited for it.
Shoot, iamrobk, you should have joined us. Anyway:

Hey all! Are you interested in living with a group of fellow incoming 1Ls? Group study sessions? Practice exam buddies? Outline partners? If your answer to any of these questions is 'yes', we still have spaces available for one guy and one girl in our 6 bedroom University City house! The place is beautiful; I can furnish pictures through Facebook upon request. Let me know!!!

Dato

New

Post by Dato » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:51 pm

Last edited by Dato on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jpal13

Bronze

Post by jpal13 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:02 pm

justicefishy wrote:
iamrobk wrote:
westphillybandr wrote:And what about hte college certification form--when is that due?
I got a one bedroom in the Old Quaker building. Since I'm moving in as a couple I opted for 1 bedroom route. I'm glad to have my partner but sadly that rules out big group house living for me.
I was deciding between old Quaker and Left Bank and opted for old Quaker because of $ and I wanted hardwood floors instead of carpet (I know it sounds like a ridiculous reason).
They have nice 2 bedrooms, the building is a cool old Quaker meeting house very recently renovated. If you look at reviews pre-renovation they are not that positive. Very high ceilings, my ceiling has cool wood beams. Granite kitchen counter tops, walk in closet, coat closets, laundry (my laundry machines are in my bathroom lol). And it's very walkable to campus, According to my iPhone walking its 6 minutes or .3 miles to the law school.
The gym looks abyssmal compared to Left Bank's (left bank has a very decent gym) but I think I will join the Penn gym anyway (which you have to pay to use because apparently your fat tuition bill and debt isn't enough to cover a gym membership!). However, I have a feeling I won't work out much my 1L year.
I though the Left Bank had awesome amenities. And they had indoor parking as an option.

justicefishy

Bronze

Post by justicefishy » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:12 am

jpal13 wrote:
justicefishy wrote:
iamrobk wrote:
I got a one bedroom in the Old Quaker building. Since I'm moving in as a couple I opted for 1 bedroom route. I'm glad to have my partner but sadly that rules out big group house living for me.
I was deciding between old Quaker and Left Bank and opted for old Quaker because of $ and I wanted hardwood floors instead of carpet (I know it sounds like a ridiculous reason).
They have nice 2 bedrooms, the building is a cool old Quaker meeting house very recently renovated. If you look at reviews pre-renovation they are not that positive. Very high ceilings, my ceiling has cool wood beams. Granite kitchen counter tops, walk in closet, coat closets, laundry (my laundry machines are in my bathroom lol). And it's very walkable to campus, According to my iPhone walking its 6 minutes or .3 miles to the law school.
The gym looks abyssmal compared to Left Bank's (left bank has a very decent gym) but I think I will join the Penn gym anyway (which you have to pay to use because apparently your fat tuition bill and debt isn't enough to cover a gym membership!). However, I have a feeling I won't work out much my 1L year.
I though the Left Bank had awesome amenities. And they had indoor parking as an option.
Yep! About my feeling too about Left Bank. I've got a deposit down and will be living there next year

No13baby

Bronze

Post by No13baby » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:56 pm

Dato wrote:
QueMellow wrote: Shoot, iamrobk, you should have joined us. Anyway:

Hey all! Are you interested in living with a group of fellow incoming 1Ls? Group study sessions? Practice exam buddies? Outline partners? If your answer to any of these questions is 'yes', we still have spaces available for one guy and one girl in our 6 bedroom University City house! The place is beautiful; I can furnish pictures through Facebook upon request. Let me know!!!
Do it! I met up w/ Señor Mellow on preview day (along with another cool young lady whose username I forgot, and whose real name I wont put on blast), and I've got to say if those two are an accurate representation of the other roommates in the house, you will have a fantastic time living there. Plus you'll have groupies like me!

-Prince Chappelle
O HAI. Congrats on the Toll!

And yes, everyone should come live in our excellent house.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

VictoryGin

New

Post by VictoryGin » Tue May 01, 2012 7:37 pm

Anyone living in Sansom?

Elric

Bronze

Post by Elric » Tue May 01, 2012 7:55 pm

VictoryGin wrote:Anyone living in Sansom?
Me

AlexGrace

New

Post by AlexGrace » Wed May 02, 2012 8:39 pm

Checking out apartments this weekend... Cinco de Mayo styyyyle...

I'm very pumped.

Elric

Bronze

Post by Elric » Fri May 04, 2012 11:22 pm

Hey everybody :)

I misplaced my acceptance portfolio (it's doing a really good job of hiding from me in my apartment...)
I already made the first deposit. Is there a second deposit, or is it one and done? Does Penn have a deadline for the college certification form?

Thank you so much!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

taikofox

New

Post by taikofox » Sat May 05, 2012 1:41 pm

Elric wrote:Hey everybody :)

I misplaced my acceptance portfolio (it's doing a really good job of hiding from me in my apartment...)
I already made the first deposit. Is there a second deposit, or is it one and done? Does Penn have a deadline for the college certification form?

Thank you so much!
There's just one $500 deposit, but what's this "college certification form" everyone's talking about?

JDizzle2015

Silver

Post by JDizzle2015 » Sat May 05, 2012 2:40 pm

taikofox wrote:

Thank you so much!
There's just one $500 deposit, but what's this "college certification form" everyone's talking about?
https://goat.law.upenn.edu/cf/admitted/jd/forms/

Second pdf. :) HTH!

Dato

New

Post by Dato » Sat May 05, 2012 6:09 pm

Last edited by Dato on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elric

Bronze

Post by Elric » Sat May 05, 2012 6:14 pm

Dato wrote:Is the college certification form required even if you've been out of school for years?

Yay! Thanks taikofox and JDizzle2015 :)

Dato, I think the college certification form is required for matriculation, but I have no idea when it's due.

Edit: they're not like LORs. I'm having someone from my UG pre-law advising office fill it out, so time out of school shouldn't matter.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jpal13

Bronze

Post by jpal13 » Sat May 05, 2012 7:29 pm

taikofox wrote:

Thank you so much!
You also must send an official transcript from every undergrad/grad institution you attended even though they got your transcripts from lsac. You can check to see if they got your college certification form and transcripts on your status checker. So if you missed checking status checker all the time to see if you were accepted, here's your chance to revisit it.

gravityrides0

Silver

Post by gravityrides0 » Mon May 07, 2012 6:11 pm

I was just admitted today, so I'll be moving from hot AZ! I won't be able to make it to PA for a little while, so I would love some advice about where to live so I can start doing some research. Do you recommend living near campus or in Center City? What are some non-sketchy but relatively inexpensive areas? Is it a pain to have a car in Philly? Anyone looking for a roommate? I would hope to move in September right before classes start or in August at the earliest. Any advice/info would be appreciated :)

AlexGrace

New

Post by AlexGrace » Mon May 07, 2012 8:09 pm

gravityrides0 wrote:I was just admitted today, so I'll be moving from hot AZ! I won't be able to make it to PA for a little while, so I would love some advice about where to live so I can start doing some research. Do you recommend living near campus or in Center City? What are some non-sketchy but relatively inexpensive areas? Is it a pain to have a car in Philly? Anyone looking for a roommate? I would hope to move in September right before classes start or in August at the earliest. Any advice/info would be appreciated :)
Congrats and welcome!! :D I've been using this link to research a couple of places, and it's really helpful: http://www.business-services.upenn.edu/ ... g_profiles

Also, some current students have discussed Center City vs. University City in the "Ask a Law Student" forum.

I'm stressing out about housing right now... :?

westphillybandr

Bronze

Post by westphillybandr » Mon May 07, 2012 9:41 pm

gravityrides0 wrote:I was just admitted today, so I'll be moving from hot AZ! I won't be able to make it to PA for a little while, so I would love some advice about where to live so I can start doing some research. Do you recommend living near campus or in Center City? What are some non-sketchy but relatively inexpensive areas? Is it a pain to have a car in Philly? Anyone looking for a roommate? I would hope to move in September right before classes start or in August at the earliest. Any advice/info would be appreciated :)
Depends on what you are looking for in housing. I wanted a cheap place in a safe neighborhood that is a 15 min walk from school. So I'm living in West Philly with a roommate. If you aren't concerned about price you can get closer to school or ditch the roommate. IF you aren't concerned about the commute you can try for a place in Center City (which can still be a pretty reasonable commute).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gravityrides0

Silver

Post by gravityrides0 » Mon May 07, 2012 10:40 pm

AlexGrace wrote:
Congrats and welcome!! :D I've been using this link to research a couple of places, and it's really helpful: http://www.business-services.upenn.edu/ ... g_profiles

Also, some current students have discussed Center City vs. University City in the "Ask a Law Student" forum.

I'm stressing out about housing right now... :?

Awesome link and information-- thank you! I will definitely check out the thread in the "Ask a Law Student" forum... ideally I would want to live in a nice 3BR or house and split rent with people.. I definitely have some research to do!!

jpal13

Bronze

Post by jpal13 » Mon May 07, 2012 11:12 pm

Does the student permit allow you to park your car in the lot by the law school overnight and on weekends? Can I access it to park at night if I want to go to the library very late?

I know it varies from lot to lot but in general but is a student permit the 24hour permit?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue May 08, 2012 12:41 am

jpal13 wrote:Does the student permit allow you to park your car in the lot by the law school overnight and on weekends? Can I access it to park at night if I want to go to the library very late?

I know it varies from lot to lot but in general but is a student permit the 24hour permit?
They sell a commuter one and a 24 hours one. The commuter one does not allow you to park overnight (11 PM) but I don't think they enforce it. You can also call parking services if you have to leave it. I also don't know if they sell 24 hour permits for the commuter lot across the street. It's quite a bit more to have a 24 hour permit.

emib

New

Post by emib » Tue May 08, 2012 9:19 am

I had luck in the past looking on their Facebook and twitter for roommates too if the Craigslist route is too scary.

http://www.facebook.com/pennlaw

--LinkRemoved--

West Philly or Grad hospital are the best areas to commute in though, especially when the shuttle is running.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jpal13

Bronze

Post by jpal13 » Tue May 08, 2012 10:52 am

r6_philly wrote:
jpal13 wrote:Does the student permit allow you to park your car in the lot by the law school overnight and on weekends? Can I access it to park at night if I want to go to the library very late?

They sell a commuter one and a 24 hours one. The commuter one does not allow you to park overnight (11 PM) but I don't think they enforce it. You can also call parking services if you have to leave it. I also don't know if they sell 24 hour permits for the commuter lot across the street. It's quite a bit more to have a 24 hour permit.
Thank you, I just called penn parking too. It seems like a huge hassle to bring my car and it might not be with it but I'm going for it anyway.

westphillybandr

Bronze

Post by westphillybandr » Tue May 08, 2012 8:42 pm

Where do we send our transcripts?

stellarEINS

New

Post by stellarEINS » Wed May 09, 2012 11:03 am

westphillybandr wrote:Where do we send our transcripts?
I had mine sent to the same address listed at the bottom of the College Cert Form.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed May 09, 2012 11:05 am

jpal13 wrote:
Thank you, I just called penn parking too. It seems like a huge hassle to bring my car and it might not be with it but I'm going for it anyway.
Check out private lots if you just want to keep a car around. There are options a few blocks away from the western edge of the campus and they are much cheaper for keeping a car nearby.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”