Considering leaving law school - 1L fall starter - advice? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Re: Considering leaving law school - 1L fall starter - advice?

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:54 pm

Learning Hand wrote:Happiness has no form, substance, or permanence. Leaving law school in a search to find it is a fool's errand.
Life of the party.

misformafia

New

Post by misformafia » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:02 pm

linquest wrote:
Fireflier wrote:One quick question - do schools allow a leave of absence after one semester?
I was able to, but it depends on your school's policies.
LurkerNoMore wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:Consider the effects dropping out will have on your future career. Do you think future employers will see you as dedicated and decisive? If not, do you have a strong explanation for your action. This decision will follow you for life. If you just can't find something you like in the law, you could probably explain that to interviewers.
This is not a decision that will follow OP around for life. It's barely a blip. There is no problem going to a top law school and then giving an employer a cogent reason for not continuing. There is all sorts of positive spin potential. After the first job, it is doubtful any future employer would need to know about the decision.
GATORTIM wrote:If you are fortunate enough to get into a top 10, I think it would be in your best interest to stick it out. It's only 2 and 1/2 more years. Make some friends and don't focus on what you will do when you get out too much. Just make good grades, have fun and enjoy. I know many on here don't think LS will open "non-attorney" doors, but I really believe you will be in a much better situation with your T-10 JD versus a poli-sci degree. Focus on grades, networking and enjoying your time there....
I completely disagree with this -- taking out law school loans pushes one into a legal career whether one wants it or not. There are few career paths that will pay salaries high enough, fast enough to service law school debt. Law school isn't going to open up more jobs out of the gate than networking plus some other path will. If OP doesn't want to do legal work, he shouldn't handcuff himself to it with another couple of years of debt.

I agree with the posters that have suggested that OP should decide if he is 100% certain he doesn't want to practice or not. If the OP knows that he doesn't want to, then drop out now. If he holds open the possibility that he can find your path with a JD, then he should finish out the year, work this summer, and make the decision then. That decision could be to drop out, continue with LS, or take a leave of absence to do other work (like TFA) for a year or so.
+1

My advice is to see what your first semester grades are like. Hopefully, they will be released before your second semester tuition becomes non-refundable (most schools will refund if you leave within the first couple weeks). If your grades are decent, finish out the year. Then:
gollymolly wrote:If you're just not sure, I think you should stick it out a full year and see how you feel about your summer job. Law practice is a lot different than law school. This comes as a nasty surprise to some people, it may work to your benefit.
I really did not like law school, but I've enjoyed practicing (though granted, it's only been a few months in). Keep in mind though, that your legal specialty and practice setting will also make a huge difference as to whether you'll enjoy practice or not. So even if you worked for, say, a large corporate firm and hated the culture, you may be perfectly happy working as a small city public defender. If you don't enjoy your summer internship but still feel the pull of the law, you could take a leave next Fall and try a different setting/specialty. However, there is absolutely no shame in withdrawing once you've explored the possibilities and alternatives. Good luck whichever way you decide.

TITCR. A lawyer once told me she had learned nothing about being a lawyer in law school - she learned everything once she began practicing. It sounds lame, but the above poster said is probably right. (although I have no idea - I'm a 1L)

sugarcat

New

Post by sugarcat » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:14 am

When I used to work as a paralegal at a Vault top 5 firm, every lawyer I ever worked with always told me that law practice is nothing like what they expected coming out of law school, which they loved. Since I pretty much am already counting the days til I graduate - if I make it that far, being a 1L myself - I'm hoping I'll be much happier as a lawyer than I am as a law student.

Fireflier

New

Post by Fireflier » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:21 am

Thanks for all the advice so far. I know that law school and the practice of being a lawyer (or whatever else you do with your degree) is completely different, and I am taking that into consideration. I have been talking with people close to me about this and I'm hoping to make the decision over the next few weeks to at least come back and try a summer job.

ShiftyPig

Bronze

Post by ShiftyPig » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:49 pm

I left UF Law on Nov. 19 and it is the best decision I've ever made. Spent three weeks busting it on the GMAT and put down a 770. When I can walk into any MBA program on the planet, it's difficult to not spend every second either laughing or feeling sorry for all my former classmates and the characters on here.

Based on my limited, three-week experience as a law school dropout, lawyers love people who drop out of law school. I think most of them secretly wish they had too, but didn't have the balls to go through with it or, worse, were too far in debt to have another option. The latter obviously plays a huge role - it's a lot easier to hit the eject button when the financial side is taken care of with a $4250 check to Uncle Sam.

You have to remember that most of the people who go to law school are straight from undergrad or have little substantive work experience; thus, career advice from a law student forum is sketchy at best. However, you should have a strong idea of what you want to do going forward. The concept that dropping out would dog you for the rest of your life is ridiculous. When I hang an MBA from HBS or Chicago on my wall, nobody is going to give a s**t that I went to law school for three months.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

andol469

New

Post by andol469 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:07 am

ShiftyPig wrote:I left UF Law on Nov. 19 and it is the best decision I've ever made. Spent three weeks busting it on the GMAT and put down a 770. When I can walk into any MBA program on the planet, it's difficult to not spend every second either laughing or feeling sorry for all my former classmates and the characters on here.

Based on my limited, three-week experience as a law school dropout, lawyers love people who drop out of law school. I think most of them secretly wish they had too, but didn't have the balls to go through with it or, worse, were too far in debt to have another option. The latter obviously plays a huge role - it's a lot easier to hit the eject button when the financial side is taken care of with a $4250 check to Uncle Sam.

You have to remember that most of the people who go to law school are straight from undergrad or have little substantive work experience; thus, career advice from a law student forum is sketchy at best. However, you should have a strong idea of what you want to do going forward. The concept that dropping out would dog you for the rest of your life is ridiculous. When I hang an MBA from HBS or Chicago on my wall, nobody is going to give a s**t that I went to law school for three months.
You sound like a really fun, well-adjusted guy.

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:13 am

andol469 wrote:
ShiftyPig wrote:I left UF Law on Nov. 19 and it is the best decision I've ever made. Spent three weeks busting it on the GMAT and put down a 770. When I can walk into any MBA program on the planet, it's difficult to not spend every second either laughing or feeling sorry for all my former classmates and the characters on here.

You sound like a really fun, well-adjusted guy.
Who operates under the delusion that a GMAT 770 = the twin of an LSAT 177 for purposes of MBA admissions :roll: .

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:52 am

maybe he has killer work experience?

with the arrogance he'll definitely fit in better a business school

misformafia

New

Post by misformafia » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:00 am

I respect decisions like this - but if you drop out you better be as confident as this guy. I have a feeling an MBA isn't exactly a cake walk either.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:01 am

I stopped wanting an MBA once I met people who have MBAs. MBAs are some of the most unethical, arrogant, and intellectually shallow people on the planet.

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:00 am

And yet you still come here...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:04 am

misformafia wrote:
I respect decisions like this - but if you drop out you better be as confident as this guy. I have a feeling an MBA isn't exactly a cake walk either.
I've always heard the hardest part is getting in.

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:10 am

Desert Fox wrote:
misformafia wrote:
I've always heard the hardest part is getting in.
That's the thing, MBA admissions are all about what prior work experience you have and what a school can do to further your career. They could care less if you scored a 800 if you don't have either great connections or top quality job experience beforehand.

Thus, I just find it slightly hard to believe that somebody would attend UF law after having been in a position that would have been able to obtain a top MBA admission.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ShiftyPig

Bronze

Post by ShiftyPig » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:51 am

dextermorgan wrote:

To quote myself:
it's difficult to not spend every second either laughing or feeling sorry for all my former classmates and the characters on here.
I thought (and still to a degree think) that a JD is, on the surface, a better degree. But if it puts you in line for reading/writing business jobs, then what's the point? That's not what I want to do, and it took until the career center unlocked its doors to 1L's to affirm that I was probably in the wrong place.

The difference between a 177 and a 770 is that a 177 alone can get you into a law school. A 770 without work experience is worthless - but when you've spent four years working for what is by all measures the #1 cable channel on television, owned by a company that does much more than just television and is ranked in BW's top places to start your career, I'll have plenty to talk about in my interviews.

Edit to add: takeaway point - don't listen when people say it's the end of the world to quit law school, but you better have a plan going forward and I'm not sure an undergrad poli-sci degree is sufficient.

totalidiot

New

Post by totalidiot » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:45 am

Sorry to bump, but what would you guys tell someone in this position who is going to HYS? I have a buddy who is going through a pretty rough time and is thinking about dropping out of law school to go back home, and I'm not really sure what I should tell him. Thoughts?

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:30 am

awesomepossum wrote:Sounds like a Michigan student. Who else would say "fall starter?"
If he is at Michigan, I would stay just to be in Ann Arbor! (But that's because I've already lived in A2 for 4 years and know how awesome it is hahaha...I miss it!)

pollaclc

Bronze

Post by pollaclc » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:42 am

GATORTIM wrote:If you are fortunate enough to get into a top 10, I think it would be in your best interest to stick it out. It's only 2 and 1/2 more years. Make some friends and don't focus on what you will do when you get out too much. Just make good grades, have fun and enjoy. I know many on here don't think LS will open "non-attorney" doors, but I really believe you will be in a much better situation with your T-10 JD versus a poli-sci degree. Focus on grades, networking and enjoying your time there....
when you're seriously unhappy 2 and 1/2 years is a life time, making friends is damn near impossible-- its unlikely that you even feel like spending time with any friends you DO have, and it's a struggle just to drag yourself to class let alone make good grades.

while i dont advocate running from law school as soon as the going gets tough, i think OP deserves some compassion and everyone who suggested (s)he talk to his/her dean or someone has tcr. also- you may likely be entitled to free sessions with a therapist through your school insurance

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:49 am

ShiftyPig wrote:but when you've spent four years working for what is by all measures the #1 cable channel on television
fox news?

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:55 am

Nothing wrong with figuring out what you want in life, and having the cojones to go after it -- even if it means slapping conventional wisdom in the face, or taking a hell of a risk, if you have the confidence and the drive to back it up. Hard for me to not respect that.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:18 pm

ShiftyPig wrote:most of the people who go to law school are straight from undergrad or have little substantive work experience; thus, career advice from a law student forum is sketchy at best.
+1000000

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:51 am

dextermorgan wrote:

Awesome.

Law school is great and I couldn't think of a better career as of this time in my life.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

swester

New

Post by swester » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:08 pm

Echoing the earlier poster, I find it humorous that you know that law is such a fine career for you, considering that you are still in law school. The two are worlds apart, and in the LS "bubble," your career center and deans will do a fine job of obscuring the reality that exists outside campus.

If you think law school is difficult, then law practice will be a soul-sucking nightmare. If you think law school is "fun," then law practice will also be a soul-sucking nightmare.

Luckily for most grads, though, you won't have to even deal with that problem. You won't get a job in the legal field anyway!

Keep up the cognitive dissonance through graduation and check back in a few years. We'll see how your attitudes have changed by then, $150,000 and 3 long years later.

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:41 pm

ShiftyPig wrote:A 770 without work experience is worthless - but when you've spent four years working for what is by all measures the #1 cable channel on television, owned by a company that does much more than just television and is ranked in BW's top places to start your career, I'll have plenty to talk about in my interviews.
Haha, I love your blind confidence.

You worked at a cable television channel for four entire years? The company that owns it does more than just television? The company is ranked by Business Week?! Wow! Let us know how that HBS application turns out!

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:33 pm

A'nold wrote: Awesome.

Law school is great and I couldn't think of a better career as of this time in my life.
See Buffett, Jimmy (supporting the unstated conclusion that A'nold's statement is full of shit).

Crap, is it still unstated?

doinmybest

Bronze

Post by doinmybest » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:51 pm

ObviouslyMasochistic wrote:
awesomepossum wrote:Sounds like a Michigan student. Who else would say "fall starter?"
A Duke fall starter?
Yeah, but no one considers Duke a T10 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Joking aside, OP should tough it out and see if he/she enjoys their summer job. Then take a leave of absense if necessary.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”