URGENT: factual vs legal impossibility Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
veer26

New

URGENT: factual vs legal impossibility

Post by veer26 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:01 am

i'm doing a paper on factual impossibility should be used as a defence for attempted crimes. I am trying to look for cases in which it says that the distinction between factual and legal impossibility is unclear to help suppport my point. Our argument is that if legal impossibility is a defence, then since factual = legal, then why shouldnt factual impossibility be a defence too? I know there are some cases that mention this, such as R v Collins [1864] 9 Cox CC 497, but I am unable to obtain a full version of the case. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Renzo

Gold

Re: URGENT: factual vs legal impossibility

Post by Renzo » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:42 pm

betasteve wrote:First to posit this is an honor code violation somewhere regarding open memo policies.
:D
But true.

Anonymous Loser

Silver

Post by Anonymous Loser » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:24 pm

Simply Googling "factual impossibility" yields a ton of COA cases that are directly on-point and readily available online. Try harder.

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:18 pm

m311

New

Post by m311 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:35 am

veer26 wrote:I am trying to look for cases in which it says that the distinction between factual and legal impossibility is unclear to help suppport my point.
So you start with a conclusion and THEN look for evidence for it?

You're religious aren't you.
since factual = legal
You can't use your own definitions of words.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Snooker

Bronze

Post by Snooker » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:29 am

This looks kind of undergrad imo. What law student would ask this sort of question?

My view of legal vs. factual impossibility is that legal claims are fictional inventions and therefore can be totally airtight - i.e. I draw legal boundaries of some property, and make legal demarcation of where the roads are, and say if the property doesn't touch a road, the property is legally isolated from the road and therefore landlocked. But to say that a person could never possibly reach the land on foot, because there's a huge wall of cliffs, alligator infested swamps, etc is a factual impossibility because it's inductive. Certainly, scaling sheer 1000 foot cliffs with no equipment would be impossible for most of us, but does it mean that someone like Rambo could not possibly do it? This much is not clear.

Another example of legal impossibility is a contract that stipulates that your contracting company shall work every day on building construction for two years, whereas the statute of frauds requires all contracts over one year in duration to be evidenced in writing. It's legally impossible for the contract to be completed within one year, so it's under the statute of frauds. However, if you contracted to build a 80 story skyscraper on an oral contract, and no such skyscraper has ever been completed in under 4 years and every expert agrees it can't be done, it's merely factually impossible that the skyscraper can't be completed in under 4 years. Courts will actually sometimes say such a project doesn't fall under the statute of frauds because it's not legally impossible to complete the building in under a year, because there's no deduction from legal definitions going on.

The distinction becomes trickier when legal definitions are introduced into factual matters, as with the rule against perpetuities, i.e. that an 80 year old woman by legal definition can bear children, even though this is factually impossible. So we will have cases where it's factually impossible, yet legally possible, that some things can happen.

pithypike

Bronze

Post by pithypike » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:05 am

m311 wrote:You're religious aren't you.
:lol:

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:17 am

Corsair wrote:
veer26 wrote:I am trying to look for cases in which it says that the distinction between factual and legal impossibility is unclear
Except that isn't true. It is amazingly wrong. Ergo, your point is wrong. Scrap your paper or be ready for a C.
+1. It's crystal clear--can't murder a dead guy.

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:23 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous Loser

Silver

Post by Anonymous Loser » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:25 pm

And conspire to.

Hopper2

New

Post by Hopper2 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:40 pm

Though what you are doing may or may not be an Honor Code violation, the line between factual and legal impossibility IS often blurred, which is why the MPC makes no effort to differentiate between the two and only defers to general culpability on the matter.

I hate TLS pomposity sometimes. If you feel the need to attack the poster, just don't post.
"Prepare for C"? Really? There actually is quite a bit of debate about this, just check Westlaw. Moron.

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:15 pm

Hopper2 wrote:I hate TLS pomposity sometimes. If you feel the need to attack the poster, just don't post.
"Prepare for C"? Really? There actually is quite a bit of debate about this, just check Westlaw. Moron.
:?: :arrow: :roll:

jp0094

Bronze

Post by jp0094 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:32 pm

understanding criminal law by dressler has a very well done section on factual impossibility, legal impossibility, and the "hybrid" type of impossibility. I'd go there.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous Loser

Silver

Post by Anonymous Loser » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:48 pm

Hopper2 wrote:Though what you are doing may or may not be an Honor Code violation, the line between factual and legal impossibility IS often blurred, which is why the MPC makes no effort to differentiate between the two and only defers to general culpability on the matter.

I hate TLS pomposity sometimes. If you feel the need to attack the poster, just don't post.
Hate to break it to you, but you replied to a year-old thread. I'm afraid this makes you the moron. Sorry you failed so hard on your first post.

go4hls

New

Post by go4hls » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:49 pm

Anonymous Loser wrote:
Hopper2 wrote:Though what you are doing may or may not be an Honor Code violation, the line between factual and legal impossibility IS often blurred, which is why the MPC makes no effort to differentiate between the two and only defers to general culpability on the matter.

Hate to break it to you, but you replied to a year-old thread. I'm afraid this makes you the moron. Sorry you failed so hard on your first post.
Holy crap, this was a year old thread?!? Why would anyone respond to a thread this old? All the ppl involved have prolly moved on and will never see hopper's post, lol.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”