all-nighters at the firm? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
motiontodismiss

Silver

Re: all-nighters at the firm?

Post by motiontodismiss » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:57 pm

Always Credited wrote:
js87 wrote:I truly don't understand why anyone would want to live that type of life, even for $200,000 a year... Growing fat and pale while your wife cheats on you. But at least you'd have lots of money (that you won't have time to spend).

Don't marry a gold-digging whore at all, and you won't have a problem.

Apple Tree

Bronze

Post by Apple Tree » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:47 pm

James Bond wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:I've had plenty of all nighters and 80+ hour weeks in public accounting ... hence an interest in big law ... maybe I'll only have to work 75 hours / week :wink:
and plenty more hookers and blow. accountants don't know how to party :wink:
Not true. :D

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:57 pm

I have only pulled one all nighter at my firm this summer, although it was my own damn fault. I figured out the day before a memo was due that I had researched completely the wrong thing, so I had to start over from scratch. In general, I get the impression that unless something goes wrong that we cannot control or get pushed back, no one here pulls all nighters for work. I only did it because I had already had to ask for an extension so I could sit in on a Mediation and a pretrial conference, so I didn't want to ask again.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:57 pm

cantaboot wrote: another thing: she said all workers check emails outside office hours. I find this very cool. I really hate the idea that people actually bother to check emails but never respond to them 'cos it's past office-hours (like the people at an administrative office where I worked for a short while)
Until you have to answer them. Then it sucks.

Apple Tree

Bronze

Post by Apple Tree » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:10 pm

crazycanuck wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:Im midlaw in NY.. First Year associate.. this week...
Mon 7:30am to 7:45pm
Tues 915sm to 7pm
Wed 8:45am to 645pm
Thur 9am to 6:30pm
Fri 9am to 6:30pm (emails back and forth with firm managing partner all night and into saturday morning...)
Saturday 12:30pm to 9ish probably not sure yet...
Sunday 9am to 1pm (im going to my friend's wedding in Philly no matter what).

Total compensation 70k or so.. lots of experience though, etc..

In short, this career is not for everyone.. Make sure you want to do it. This is by far not the worst week I've had, but is pretty close to typical. This also fails to factor in the work I tend to do or at least plan out at home and the non-stop responding to the f$%%&^# blackberry
Psh, 54:15 hours, you slacker.

Anyways, the real myth is not so much the all nighters that do happen. The real myth is the 40 hour work week in any profession. My sister works at a company doing advertising and she works consistent 50-60 hour weeks and gets paid like 40k.
I work less than 40 hours a week (about 37) get paid more than that (by a fair amount). Maybe I souldn't go to law school...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SaintClarence27

Silver

Post by SaintClarence27 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:11 pm

Apple Tree wrote:
James Bond wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:I've had plenty of all nighters and 80+ hour weeks in public accounting ... hence an interest in big law ... maybe I'll only have to work 75 hours / week :wink:
and plenty more hookers and blow. accountants don't know how to party :wink:
Not true. :D
No, it is true. (I'm channeling Eddie Izzard here).

SaintClarence27

Silver

Post by SaintClarence27 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:11 pm

Apple Tree wrote:
crazycanuck wrote:
Tues 915sm to 7pm
Fri 9am to 6:30pm (emails back and forth with firm managing partner all night and into saturday morning...)

In short, this career is not for everyone.. Make sure you want to do it. This is by far not the worst week I've had, but is pretty close to typical. This also fails to factor in the work I tend to do or at least plan out at home and the non-stop responding to the f$%%&^# blackberry

Anyways, the real myth is not so much the all nighters that do happen. The real myth is the 40 hour work week in any profession. My sister works at a company doing advertising and she works consistent 50-60 hour weeks and gets paid like 40k.
I work less than 40 hours a week (about 37) get paid more than that (by a fair amount). Maybe I souldn't go to law school...
Government?

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:11 pm

Apple Tree wrote:
crazycanuck wrote:
Tues 915sm to 7pm

And this is just occurring to you? :wink:

Apple Tree

Bronze

Post by Apple Tree » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:18 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:
crazycanuck wrote:
Tues 915sm to 7pm

Government?
No, just a regular company. My friend who works in a big 4 works about 10-20 hours more than me a week, and she only gets paid $1000 more (granted that's just her compensation. I'm sure she gets a nice bonus at year end).

It's not the work is not substantial. There's just no pressure to please any client. It's more like an attitude of "if you can't get it done today, get it done tomorrow. Just do it well." Oh man, who am I kidding, this is heaven!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:18 pm

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaintClarence27

Silver

Post by SaintClarence27 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:21 pm

paratactical wrote:Totally late to this, but every single biglaw firm I've worked at or been in, has had seperate showers for men and women along with at least one room with a couch big enough for naps.
I'd rather sleep on the floor, assuming I have my own office.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:25 pm

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaintClarence27

Silver

Post by SaintClarence27 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:30 pm

paratactical wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:
paratactical wrote:Totally late to this, but every single biglaw firm I've worked at or been in, has had seperate showers for men and women along with at least one room with a couch big enough for naps.
I'd rather sleep on the floor, assuming I have my own office.
I worked on a case where at team of 14 of us were in a conference room 6am-12midnight everyday. When the hours were extended until 2am, we brought in a couch and took shifts taking naps. We did this for 6.5 weeks straight.
Aw, HELL no. I'd go home in between then. I'd rather sleep on the floor.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:39 pm

We have showers here, one in both the mens and the womens bathroom on every floor. However, no one uses them because they sleep here. They use them because they go running/biking during lunch, or in the morning, or after 5.

Of course, TBF I am in a secondary market this summer. Life is not this good at firms in the major markets.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:18 pm

Frb43 wrote:
JPeavy44 wrote:M&A?
Mergers and Acquisitions.
Murders & Executions

--ImageRemoved--

nealric

Post by nealric » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:21 pm

I'm guessing tax lawyers have a ton of work on and around April 15th.
Not at law firms. You won't be working on filing anybody's tax return at a firm- that's what accounting firms do.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”