Having a dog in law school Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
awaiting

New

Re: Having a dog in law school

Post by awaiting » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:08 pm

alethe16 wrote:I've never flown with the dog, for the financial reasons you mentioned. I have driven with the dog, but luckily it's only been a 6 hour drive for me, which we can both handle with schedule breaks to walk. If I'm not driving, she sits still on my lap; if I am, she has to be crated, which she is fine with, so long as she can still see me. Luckily, I haven't had to deal with a 13 hour drive.

I think it would be important for you to find some local friends or neighbors who really like dogs, and might be willing to keep her while you're away (I have an agreement with some friends of mine who have dogs that I watch when they go away). Or, you'll need to find a dog sitter. But if you do this, I would try to keep the trip as short as possible, because dogs miss their people. :)
paratactical wrote:Make friends with the people at the dog parks and check with your vet (another important thing is to find a vet that you and your pooch like) to see if they have recommendations.
I'm so appreciative of all the advice!!

The friends and neighbors route is definitely my best bet. I think I might make the car trip with the dog over winter break - assuming that some smaller test trips go well first.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:09 pm

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

awaiting

New

Post by awaiting » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:10 pm

Jones, Dow wrote:
awaiting wrote:
alethe16 wrote: These are two excellent points. Housing is definitely harder to find when you have a pet. I've always been really lucky to find a place that has a fenced in backyard, where the pup can run around; fingers crossed this will continue for my next move. When choosing an apartment, it's been less about what I need and more about what she needs.

Also, I never leave my dog with strangers, much less alone. I rarely go out of town, and when I do she has always stayed with friends of mine that have others dogs, who she knows, and never for more than a long weekend. That way, it's like a fun getaway for her, too. I took her home with me for Christmas, since it was going to be over a week away from home.
Do you ever have an trouble with travel? That seems to be the trickiest part for me, since I'm looking at a 13 hour drive or $200 extra airfare. I would love to take her/him with me, but neither of those two options are particularly appealing for either of us.
I drove from Utah to NY with my basset hound and it was actually pretty fun.
Whoa. Was the dog crated, or just kickin' it in the back seat?

Rsrcht

Bronze

Post by Rsrcht » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:16 pm

Youtube has a few "dogs 101" videos from the discovery channel/animal planet (can't remember which). One of the videos was about the dachshund. Once it reached the point where the dog was digging 1.5 feet per minute my wife's (an avid gardener) flower beds felt threatened! So the dachshund was out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoTkYKD6CHc

Once you've selected one or several breeds find an online forum or two dedicated to that breed to discover everything you won't find on commercial websites - what owners say. Youtube has a few amateur videos on dogs as well if you want to see what kind of behaviors they can exhibit. Examples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5D-suNvUw4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4ddUETEWs8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LqaXzjn ... re=related

Google "rescue [breed name]", "animal shelter [city/state]", or find a shelter through the humane society.
--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--

If you adopt, expect to pay an "adoption fee."

Jones, Dow

Bronze

Post by Jones, Dow » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:16 pm

awaiting wrote:
Jones, Dow wrote:
awaiting wrote:
alethe16 wrote: These are two excellent points. Housing is definitely harder to find when you have a pet. I've always been really lucky to find a place that has a fenced in backyard, where the pup can run around; fingers crossed this will continue for my next move. When choosing an apartment, it's been less about what I need and more about what she needs.

Also, I never leave my dog with strangers, much less alone. I rarely go out of town, and when I do she has always stayed with friends of mine that have others dogs, who she knows, and never for more than a long weekend. That way, it's like a fun getaway for her, too. I took her home with me for Christmas, since it was going to be over a week away from home.
Do you ever have an trouble with travel? That seems to be the trickiest part for me, since I'm looking at a 13 hour drive or $200 extra airfare. I would love to take her/him with me, but neither of those two options are particularly appealing for either of us.
I drove from Utah to NY with my basset hound and it was actually pretty fun.
Whoa. Was the dog crated, or just kickin' it in the back seat?
haha it was in a moving truck and she was in the front seat. bassets are usually very chilll dogs.

+1 on what paratactical said. Hopefully you can work it out because there needs to be more responsible dog owners in the world!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

alethe16

New

Post by alethe16 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:21 pm

awaiting wrote:
alethe16 wrote:I've never flown with the dog, for the financial reasons you mentioned. I have driven with the dog, but luckily it's only been a 6 hour drive for me, which we can both handle with schedule breaks to walk. If I'm not driving, she sits still on my lap; if I am, she has to be crated, which she is fine with, so long as she can still see me. Luckily, I haven't had to deal with a 13 hour drive.

I think it would be important for you to find some local friends or neighbors who really like dogs, and might be willing to keep her while you're away (I have an agreement with some friends of mine who have dogs that I watch when they go away). Or, you'll need to find a dog sitter. But if you do this, I would try to keep the trip as short as possible, because dogs miss their people. :)
paratactical wrote:Make friends with the people at the dog parks and check with your vet (another important thing is to find a vet that you and your pooch like) to see if they have recommendations.
I'm so appreciative of all the advice!!

The friends and neighbors route is definitely my best bet. I think I might make the car trip with the dog over winter break - assuming that some smaller test trips go well first.
Test trips are definitely a good idea! It just gives them time to get used to being in the car. In the weeks leading up to our drive home for Christmas, I took the pup for car rides every few days so she could adjust to all the sounds and noises, especially if part of your drive will be after dark; I did all our practice trips in the daylight and when it got dark she wasn't used to all the different car lights and whatnot.

Good luck! Dogs are such a joy to have! I hope you can work it out.

awaiting

New

Post by awaiting » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:23 pm

Rsrcht wrote:Youtube has a few "dogs 101" videos from the discovery channel/animal planet (can't remember which). One of the videos was about the dachshund. Once it reached the point where the dog was digging 1.5 feet per minute my wife's (an avid gardener) flower beds felt threatened! So the dachshund was out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoTkYKD6CHc

Once you've selected one or several breeds find an online forum or two dedicated to that breed to discover everything you won't find on commercial websites - what owners say. Youtube has a few amateur videos on dogs as well if you want to see what kind of behaviors they can exhibit. Examples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5D-suNvUw4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4ddUETEWs8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LqaXzjn ... re=related

Google "rescue [breed name]", "animal shelter [city/state]", or find a shelter through the humane society.
--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--

If you adopt, expect to pay an "adoption fee."
The vids are an awesome idea. I'm also going to factor in the type and frequency of diseases certain breeds get. Thanks for all the help!!

awaiting

New

Post by awaiting » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:26 pm

Thanks so much for all the advice alethe16, paratactical, Jones, and Rsrcht!!!

I'm bookmarking this thread right now!

samsocks

New

Post by samsocks » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:57 pm

I have two dogs, a pekingese/poodle mix and a chihuahua mix - both from a shelter. I got the first as a puppy during my second year in UG and even though I worked thirty hours a week, it was not hard to deal with him. I did lose a lot of sleep, but after awhile I actually went in to zombie mode. I would walk him at two or three AM and then not even realize I had done it the next morning! Still, this did not keep me from getting another the next year but he was already four when I got him. Now one is three and the other is five.

The only problem I have had with owning dogs is the cost. When I got them, I didn't really understand how much I would spend on food/travel/vet trips. I live five hours from home right now so the dogs always make the trip with me in the car and my parents love to see them, sometimes I think they like to see the dogs more than me! My one travel tip would be don't feed your dog before you get in the car! The first time I drove home, I feed them and wow, I had so much vomit to clean up. It was ridiculous. Now I don't feed them before we go and they just sleep the entire trip.

I think the problem people have with keeping dogs while they're in school is that they don't make them a priority. I make sure that I'm not gone more than eight hours or so without going home to walk them and I also make time for walks/trips to the dog park. I go to school full-time, I work thirty hours a week, and I'm the only person who takes care of them. I know that if I don't take care of them, no one else will. Obviously, they will be coming to law school with me.

I really couldn't imagine giving them up or not having them. They're great companions and they've added a lot to my life.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rsrcht

Bronze

Post by Rsrcht » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:06 pm

If you don't have time to do anything and are deciding between going to the gym and walking the dog and you choose the gym, then you probably shouldn't have a dog.

samsocks

New

Post by samsocks » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:09 pm

Rsrcht wrote:If you don't have time to do anything and are deciding between going to the gym and walking the dog and you choose the gym, then you probably shouldn't have a dog.
+1

cantaboot

Bronze

Post by cantaboot » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:04 pm

Grad_Student

Bronze

Post by Grad_Student » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:23 pm

Rsrcht wrote:If you don't have time to do anything and are deciding between going to the gym and walking the dog and you choose the gym, then you probably shouldn't have a dog.
i lol'd

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Rsrcht

Bronze

Post by Rsrcht » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:28 pm

sapereaude2012

New

Post by sapereaude2012 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:45 am

Paste_Me wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:This.

OMG this would even melt the cold hearts of all evil doers
Ok my girlfriend just saw this picture and is in love. Paralegal what breed of dog are these guys?

youpiiz

Bronze

Post by youpiiz » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:50 am

Last edited by youpiiz on Tue May 05, 2009 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

waytofailself

Bronze

Post by waytofailself » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:01 am

I have two dogs. I got one of them as a rescue puppy during 1st semester 1L. They're both mutts, and I live in a house with a yard.

My advice: if you want a dog get a dog. Sure, it's going to be a time commitment, but people who say "You don't have time during law school" seem to live in a lala land where you'll have so much time for a dog during your career as a lawyer.

It's great to have animals to come home to that will love you unconditionally and give you something else to focus on other than school work. Sure, you have to take time to take care of them, but it is time infinitely better spent (compared to hunching over your desk trying to perfect your outline wondering what happened to your life)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sapereaude2012

New

Post by sapereaude2012 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:27 pm

youpiiz wrote:maltese or bichon frise or a mix?
Ya my guess was Bichon Frise. Those are damned cute though

ALilMusicFactry

New

Post by ALilMusicFactry » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:16 pm

I'm a 0L who is adopting a little dog in a few weeks. I will be able to spend the summer training/adjusting him, and my fiance will be able to go home at lunch for a while...although he can't do this long term. Is this a bad idea? I've heard little dogs can use "wee wee pads" if they are home alone from 9-4ish...but is this a bad idea? Would he be unhappy?
This is the worst idea I've heard in a long time.

First, a dog is not mature until around two years old - the dog will not be fully trained by the end of the summer, and at 6-7 months old they cannot really be left alone all day. I've been around dogs all my life and can tell you that taking care of a dog for the first 18 months or so (assuming it doesn't have any problems) is very much like having a child.

Second, an abrupt change in a dog's schedule where you go from being home all day to suddenly NOT being home much is potentially very damaging to a young dog. They can develop separation anxiety and become a danger to your house and themselves.

Third, using pee pads is (pardon the pun) a piss-poor way to house train and only confuses the dog. Not to mention that it's disgusting.

"Sharing" a dog with a roommate is an even worse idea - tons of dogs end up at shelters this way and it's one reason that many shelters are reluctant to adopt out to young owners. What happens when one of you moves out and no one wants the responsibility?

If you really want a dog during law school and are committed to taking care of it, please consider getting an older dog from a shelter. Odds are that it will be housebroken already and somewhat accustomed to being home alone. A lot of people have given up their dogs due to the economic downturn, and these animals are abandoned through no fault of their own.

john titor

Bronze

Post by john titor » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:19 pm

I raised 2 puppies while a law school student and it wasnt a big deal, but then again I live with my girlfriend and we are also in a place where we can easily afford a place with a fenced yard. Really, it's not that big of a deal juggling a dog and law school. I know a few 1Ls who had (human) babies 1L year and did fine. But the fact that you will be in manhattan should give you pause. You definitely wont be able to leave the dog outside to roam and play while youre gone and if you live in a building with more than 3 floors, housetraining a puppy will be an absolute nightmare.

Paste_Me

New

Post by Paste_Me » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:34 pm

I thought this matter was resolved.

I am beginning to think that most threads don't die on these forums...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

waytofailself

Bronze

Post by waytofailself » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:39 pm

Paste_Me wrote:I thought this matter was resolved.

I am beginning to think that most threads don't die on these forums...
This is a law school forum. I didn't know things ever got "resolved."

PubIntLawyer

New

Post by PubIntLawyer » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:07 pm

ALilMusicFactry wrote:
I'm a 0L who is adopting a little dog in a few weeks. I will be able to spend the summer training/adjusting him, and my fiance will be able to go home at lunch for a while...although he can't do this long term. Is this a bad idea? I've heard little dogs can use "wee wee pads" if they are home alone from 9-4ish...but is this a bad idea? Would he be unhappy?
This is the worst idea I've heard in a long time.

First, a dog is not mature until around two years old - the dog will not be fully trained by the end of the summer, and at 6-7 months old they cannot really be left alone all day. I've been around dogs all my life and can tell you that taking care of a dog for the first 18 months or so (assuming it doesn't have any problems) is very much like having a child.

Second, an abrupt change in a dog's schedule where you go from being home all day to suddenly NOT being home much is potentially very damaging to a young dog. They can develop separation anxiety and become a danger to your house and themselves.

Third, using pee pads is (pardon the pun) a piss-poor way to house train and only confuses the dog. Not to mention that it's disgusting.

"Sharing" a dog with a roommate is an even worse idea - tons of dogs end up at shelters this way and it's one reason that many shelters are reluctant to adopt out to young owners. What happens when one of you moves out and no one wants the responsibility?

If you really want a dog during law school and are committed to taking care of it, please consider getting an older dog from a shelter. Odds are that it will be housebroken already and somewhat accustomed to being home alone. A lot of people have given up their dogs due to the economic downturn, and these animals are abandoned through no fault of their own.
I feel like you didn't read anything I wrote. I'm not "sharing" a dog with a roomate. My fiance and I are getting a puppy in mid-May. He works a block from our home and is willing to walk it at lunch. As for switch up the schedule in mid August, I'm not an idiot. I plan on gradually leaving him alone for more time. I have heard that one of the most importrant things you can do to adjust a dog is to leave him alone for 4-5 hours a day so that he doesn't develop an anxiety. Further, my puppy is a Shih-Tzu, who actually prefer to be alone for parts of the day, and don't like hours of exercise. I know not all dogs are the same, but I think two adults (one with a very stable, well-paying job) can handle a puppy. As another poster said, some 1L's have babies.

I don't know why you were so aggressive when you clearly did not read my thread carefully. If researched CAREFULLY and well planned, having a puppy during 1L can be wonderful, both for the student and the dog. Many dog trainers recommend the wee-wee pads as an important step in housebreaking SMALL dogs...they obviously have tiny bladders and cannot hold it for very long. Thus, until their bladder muscles strengthen with age, it is very unlikely that they can hold it for even a few hours. Teaching a puppy that there is an acceptable place to relieve himself when he needs to is crucial to raising a happy puppy.

And really-do you think most dog-owners are "stay at home dog owners?" They're not. And further, while law school may be "harder" than a real job, if you choose to study at home the hours are absurdly better.

ps. You are an idiot

ALilMusicFactry

New

Post by ALilMusicFactry » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:57 pm

If researched CAREFULLY and well planned, having a puppy during 1L can be wonderful, both for the student and the dog.
Um have you DONE it? I have, and many of my friends have. It may SOUND easy on paper, but it isn't.

By the way, as long as we are drawing parallels between raising children as a law student and raising puppies, the students I know raising children have very limited social interaction at school outside of class projects. I doubt that you are planning for this to be the case with your dog, so when exactly are you planning to walk/groom/play with it? You will likely be at school for a minimum of 6 hours a day as a 1L and will have an entire evening's worth of reading to do afterwards. Being at home with your face buried in casebooks is NOT the same thing as interacting with the dog. Further, you will be very stressed out as a 1L and do not need to add MORE stress by getting a puppy.
I'm not "sharing" a dog with a roomate.
If you had read the whole thread YOU would realize that was a response to someone else!
Further, my puppy is a Shih-Tzu
My mistake. I thought you said you were getting a dog. This is a cat.
who actually prefer to be alone for parts of the day
These were bred as companion dogs. The Shih tzu is a bit more independent than some other toy breeds, but it is a companion animal and while it may TOLERATE being alone it does not "prefer" it.
And really-do you think most dog-owners are "stay at home dog owners?" They're not.
No, which is why I suggested an older dog for people who do not have the proper time to raise them - like yourself.
ps. You are an idiot
This was completely uncalled for. I have been through this experience - you have not. Please don't call me an idiot because my opinion, AS SOMEONE WITH EXPERIENCE, differs from yours.

You are misinformed about a number of things, and I suggest you do a bit more research before making this commitment.

john titor

Bronze

Post by john titor » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:33 pm

I have experience with it too, and I think you're wrong.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”